biology degree, low GPA, any hope???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missmai2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all,

i'm new to this and very impressed with this community.

my concern is how do med schools look at applicants who already fulfilled all of the pre-med requirements but did very poorly, THEN retake all classes in a post bacc program? (and assuming that post bacc scores are high).

any similar stories like this that ended in success?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I don't think they recommend retaking the pre-req. Take some other science classes and make sure that you are acing them. Med schools look at the trends and you have to demonstrate that you can handle the work. I am in a similar predicament and currenlty doing a post bac (for folks who need to strenghten their credentials). Some other folks opt to do a masters instead. But I heard stories about how med schools only look at undergrad GPAs, just my .02 cents. Good luck!

im a pre-dental student, and my friends in the dental forum always stress that a positive trend is of utmost importance. take a graduate degree program (not a post-bac) and do well. the post-bac will just be re-taking the classes you already know, where as the graduate program will show med schools you can handle the rigor, and that your low GPA doesn't accurately portray your true abilities. best luck

bus.;)

Members don't see this ad :)
pyau03 is right, what you need to do is find a post-bac program that you can take classes to 'enhance your existing academic record.' You need not take classes over--it is easy to get mixed up with the different types of post-bac programs that are out there.

pyau03, what program are you in currently?

I doubt your undergrad biology program involved medical school related classes. I know most biology degrees involve ecology, and zoology classes in addition to biomedical classes. But most biology majors don't involve histology, pathophysiology, human anatomy with cadavers, embryology, pharmacology and other classes that are offered in medical school itself.

For the purpose of getting into medical school, it doesn't matter whether you get a Masters or a Post-bacc. What's more important is taking the proper type of classes. You need to take classes that are also offerred in medical school. Take classes like histology, pharmacology, immunology, pathophysiology, biochemistry and other classes that are offerred in medical school. Whether you find these classes in a Masters or a Post-bacc doesn't matter. Just pick a program you like that offers these clases and sign up.

If you should do a Masters program, make sure it is non-thesis oriented. Thesis centered Masters programs involve a lot of research classes. Reseach classes are easy A's and admission committees know this. They won't take your grad school GPA seriously if 1/2 of your curriculum is involved with research classes. Non-thesis related Masters programs involve regular classes that are based on exams. This is one reason why most people on this forum advise against picking a Masters over a post-bacc. Post-bacc doesn't waste time with research classes while most masters programs have some research aspect to them. There is nothing wrong with research. But if you are trying to raise your GPA, you need to spend most of your time with real classes as opposed to research classes where you are given instant A's.

My post- bacc is better than most Masters/graduate programs because of the type of classes that are offered. They only emphasize biomedical classes so our biology doesn't waste time with anything outside the human body. And all of my grades are legit. I don't have any fru fru research classes that I got an A in just for showing up.

I wouldn't waste time retaking what you have already taken. So check out the post-bacc and Masters programs of many schools. Use your common sense. If you have taken 80% of what is offered at a post-bacc at one school,, then don't bother applying to that one.. Every post-bacc is different so do your homework. They don't all offer the same classes.

you guys are right, my GPA would not increase by much, but hopefully, med schools can just focus on the string of A's i hope to get.

mcataz, what program are you doing, and have you started the med school application process yet?

anyone know of schools where it's possible to take grad classes without being a grad student? would this count?

i'm not sure if i'm any less confused, but thanks so much guys for your feedback.