Biochemistry Prerequisite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

opheliamg

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
At my school I was unable to take the intro to biochemistry course (restricted to biochem majors) so instead I took a biology class considered the course equivalent. Is this enough to fill my biochem prereq or will I have to figure out how to take a course in the actual biochem dept?

Members don't see this ad.

Bump as I never got a response and it's been a year?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the equivalent course title and course description

Biology (Sci) : This course introduces the student to our modern understanding of cells and how they work. Major topics to be covered include: photosynthesis, energy metabolism and metabolic integration; plasma membrane including secretion, endocytosis and contact mediated interactions between cells; cytoskeleton including cell and organelle movement; the nervous system; hormone signaling; the cell cycle.

No, unfortunately that is not a course equivalent. If your school is requiring a biochemistry course they should have a list of courses that are equivalents.

No, unfortunately that is not a course equivalent. If your school is requiring a biochemistry course they should have a list of courses that are equivalents.
I am just applying now, so I can take bioch this year if I need to, although I just graduated. I took another course called advanced bio-organic chemistry in the chemistry department (I'm a chem major), and here's the course description; do you think that this course would qualify?
Chemistry : This course will cover biologically relevant molecules, particularly nucleic acids, proteins, and their building blocks. In each case, synthesis and biological functions will be discussed. The topics include synthesis of oligonucleotides and peptides; chemistry of phosphates; enzyme structure and function; coenzymes, and enzyme catalysis; polyketides; antiviral and anticancer agents.

I am just applying now, so I can take bioch this year if I need to, although I just graduated. I took another course called advanced bio-organic chemistry in the chemistry department (I'm a chem major), and here's the course description; do you think that this course would qualify?
Chemistry : This course will cover biologically relevant molecules, particularly nucleic acids, proteins, and their building blocks. In each case, synthesis and biological functions will be discussed. The topics include synthesis of oligonucleotides and peptides; chemistry of phosphates; enzyme structure and function; coenzymes, and enzyme catalysis; polyketides; antiviral and anticancer agents.

The first course you described would definitely fall under cellular biology, but the second should fill the requirement almost everywhere no problem. Some schools do have very specific criteria though, it may be worth your while to reach out to schools and double check.

The first course you described would definitely fall under cellular biology, but the second should fill the requirement almost everywhere no problem. Some schools do have very specific criteria though, it may be worth your while to reach out to schools and double check.
Will do - thanks so much!