[BIO] question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biological oxidation of glucose resulting in which of the following metabolic end products would yield the largest number of ATP molecules?
a) CH3CHOHCOOH
b) CH3COCOOH
c) CO2 + N2 + H2O
d) CO2 + H2S
e) CO2 + H2O

Need ur brief explanation ! thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I would've guessed A. Seems like more alcohols are higher in energy and easier to oxidize than the ether in B. As for C, D, and E, since CO2 is a product of metabolism, I would predict that it would be lowest in energy and yield the least amount of ATP. What's the answer anyway?

normal cell respiration results in a lot of ATP... and the end-products are H2O and CO2.

E would be my answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would've guessed A. Seems like more alcohols are higher in energy and easier to oxidize than the ether in B. As for C, D, and E, since CO2 is a product of metabolism, I would predict that it would be lowest in energy and yield the least amount of ATP. What's the answer anyway?

A is lactic acid and B is pyruvic acid..

Lol nvm, I misinterpreted the question and thought it asked which of the following substrates would yield the most ATP.

Yep. A and B are not fully oxidized products. Full oxidation of glucose results in CO2 & H2O, with all the reducing power created as NADH/FADH2 used to generate more ATP in the ETC. C and D are not relevant end products of normal glucose metabolism.