Other OT-Related Information Bilingual the new job requirement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashleemuffins

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This year I’m going to Sacramento state to get my bachelors in child development, so I can move on to University St Augustine Dual degree program. For me I’m interested in PT/OT so I figured I want to do both. My question is as I read job adds, I've notice being bilingual is a growing requirement in California, Texas and etc. Which made me wonder, is learning Spanish becoming a staple for advancement in the work force, and all together getting hired. I’ve purchased Rosetta stone, and was just wondering has anyone notice this, with volunteer opportunities and jobs etc?

n.

Members don't see this ad.

In my current field of public health, bilingual Spanish will make you an infinitely more attractive candidate to an employer. Unlike other hard or soft skills that employers could develop in their new employees if they devoted the time to workforce development, bilingualism in any language cannot be taught on the job. I imagine in the healthcare field that this is even more the case - and not necessarily because your clients don't speak English at all, either, but because they are more comfortable discussing sensitive concerns in their native language.

Becoming minimally conversant may not help you conduct your patient visits 100% in another language, but I think it will go a long way towards imbuing good will and developing a relationship with your clients. I have coworkers who speak only a few words of Inupiat (Native Alaskan language) but it can cause a sea change of openness and cooperation in certain clients! It shows investment in the culture, a willingness and dedication to meeting folks where they are, and I think that alone can be very powerful.

In addition to Rosetta Stone, you might start watching Spanish news, TV shows, novelas, etc. and try to practice with a Spanish-speaking friend. Recognize, too, that there are many dialects within the language depending on whether folks are from and so there might be more slang than you anticipate, or slang that differs between cultures (e.g., the same word meaning two VERY different things - that can be embarrassing to a non-native speaker!)

I hope that more OT programs start offering Spanish for Healthcare Professionals.

Obviously, it depends on where you live. At the hospital that I'm in, Spanish, Chinese, Arabic, and Russian are the top languages spoken within the patient population. There's such a demand for employees who speak those languages that they test you on it. I speak Chinese and it makes such a difference when I work with patients and it makes me feel good knowing I can help get his/her needs met.