Big envelope VS Small envelope? (if accepted)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lailanni

c/o 2012
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You know how when you applied for undergrad and you checked the mailbox everyday to see which colleges accepted you..... if you were accepted you got a big envelope with a welcome pack and info. If you were rejected, you got a small normal envelope with the sad letter.

Is vet school the same?

Big envelope = good
Small envelope = sad?

Just trying to daydream accurately : ) I know I'm a dork!

Members don't see this ad.

At most schools it's a small letter for both acceptances and rejections.

When I got accepted into a competative vet tech program, it was a big envelope. When I came in and saw it on the table, I knew was it was, and I freaked right out. I had a 3% chance of getting accepted and didn't expect it at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Bill. Small letter either way at all the schools I applied to.

Michigan State had a big envelope, otherwise they were small. One of my rejections had multiple pages in it, which was slightly deceiving!

I have heard that if your accepted it comes certified mail. Anyone know if thats true or not?

I never received anything certified mail.

I guess I should say I was accepted at Ohio State, Auburn and UTK.

in my experience, rejections always come in small envelopes. But a big envelope can mean interview.

These days, many acceptances come as emails or phone calls before the snail mail arrives!
Check last year's acceptances & rejection threads. People chimed in with when/how they were notified.

last year my interview notice came in a small envelope but by email first. My acceptance also came in a very small envelope with 1 page in it. After I accepted their offer, I started getting the packets. This was at Tennessee. Good luck to everyone and don't start freaking out yet. For some of you, you may not hear anything until February about interviews and the like. Try to have fun over the holidays (I know, easier said than done)

Rejections came in big envelopes from Australian schools (Melbourne, Murdoch) and RVC. Small envelopes from VMRCVM, Penn.

My acceptance from KSU was a big envelope but only 2 pages. When I felt how thin it was, I was freaking out that I was wait-listed. :) From what I remember hearing on the board, KSU rejections came in small envelopes last year.

Plenty of schools notify you by email/phone, however, as previously noted.
:luck::luck::luck:
Good luck!!!

My vet-tech acceptance package came late... either late May or June... that is probably why it came with the booklets... and one of the papers said I had so many weeks to confirm?

That peeved me off, knowing so late... I had already got accepted to a university and had invested $400 into that university by the time my letter came. My mom said that if I wanted to change my mind, I could, but I didn't.

Tennessee's acceptance came as a one page letter in a standard envelope (in March or April, btw--Tennessee doesn't even interview until March). Iowa's came by e-mail. I was accepted off wait-list from Illinois and that came by phone call.

The only "thick" envelope I received was from Wisconsin, and it was a rejection with several pages of statistics and the like. I met more than their average value in all areas, so it wasn't clear to me what information I was supposed to glean from all that paper.:rolleyes:

So I guess the answer is that there is no standard way to tell before you open the envelope, email, or whatever.

All my good news was via phone (interview and acceptance) The acceptance call actually came while I was working in my vet hospital... that was a good day, I told almost every client I saw. :D

Mine (Penn, Tufts, NC) were all small. Penn and NC (and Colorado when I got off the waitlist) were phone calls before I got the letters though.