Bicarb question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

demolpolis

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Biochem question about bicarb.

Since it's a buffer, if your serum is ever (and for whatever reason) acidotic, your serum bicarb will be low, correct?

I understand that if you are acidotic your kidneys will be trying to excrete more H+, and thus resorb/return more bicarb to the blood, but overall the bicarb measurement will be low, correct?

Members don't see this ad.

Biochem question about bicarb.

Since it's a buffer, if your serum is ever (and for whatever reason) acidotic, your serum bicarb will be low, correct?

I understand that if you are acidotic your kidneys will be trying to excrete more H+, and thus resorb/return more bicarb to the blood, but overall the bicarb measurement will be low, correct?
Unless it's a respiratory acidosis, yes.

That is, if the acidosis is primarily driven by an increased pCO2, the bicarb will be normal or high in an effort to compensate. Bicarbonate changes much slower than CO2 though.

Unless it's a respiratory acidosis, yes.

That is, if the acidosis is primarily driven by an increased pCO2, the bicarb will be normal or high in an effort to compensate. Bicarbonate changes much slower than CO2 though.

Ok, I get the respiratory part... ↑ed CO2 will screw up the buffer system, so you can have ↑H+ and ↑bicarb and it won't buffer correctly. All other cases the buffer will work, and acidosis will have low bicarb because it's all being used up trying to buffer the acid.

Thanks.