Bias in Radiology Resident Selection. Do We Discriminate Against the Obese and Unattractive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7331poas

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Curious about people's thoughts. How many step 1 points is being attractive worth?

Members don't see this ad.

This bias exists in every specialty, every field, every job

Reactions: 19 users
You take out step 1, this will be even more prominent

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're not obese by the start of radiology residency, you will be in pgy-2 or pgy-3. Sitting all day long behind a screen predisposes to some extra lbs.

• Haha
Even in medical school, most students at my school are better than average looking. I don't think this bias ever goes away

Reactions: 1 user
If you're not obese by the start of radiology residency, you will be in pgy-2 or pgy-3. Sitting all day long behind a screen predisposes to some extra lbs.

Or you could get the most swole legs ever . . .

Amazon product

Reactions: 4 users
Everybody does. Nothing new here. It's not fair, but plenty of studies have been done on the topic of attractive people getting preference. Morbid Obesity is an obvious sign someone is medicating themselves with food for some reason, despite it jeopardizing their health. I have said many times no one wants to hire a problem. Alcoholism, illegal drug use, and prescription drug abuse are less outwardly apparent, so they usually get a pass. Btw, I know plenty of unattractive radiologists, so OP is not a problem IMO.

Yeesh. And I thought it was just the Plastic and Ortho Surgery departments that were biased towards the beautiful people. Now Radiology? So shallow and pedantic.

Curious about people's thoughts. How many step 1 points is being attractive worth?

No need for peer-reviewed studies to know the rules.

Rule 1: Be attractive
Rule 2: Don't be unattractive

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
I think our inherent bias against obesity is because obese people are often less active and less driven than their colleagues who are in shape.

Who do you think is going to have a better chance of passing the core: the applicant who finds the time to stay in shape while in med school or the one who doesn't?

Well, you need to get the interview first, and that's where the Step score really kicks in - the initial phase. By the time of interview? Depends on how attractive. Drop-dead gorgeous? Can barely scrape past 200, as long as the applicant comes across as personable and not manifestly dumb.

Members don't see this ad :)
FWIW, I work with a couple of fantastic obese surgeons. And after being 5’8” and 130-140lbs for much of my adult life, I am now officially overweight at 165.

dang, and I was thinking of applying to rads :(

Reactions: 1 users
Everybody does, even if they don't realize it. For instance, some of my more SJW friends on Facebook are proud that they aren't prejudiced against people, yet still post memes of really attractive people. So in response, I would ask them what they would do if they saw a really hot person in the street. Would they turn around to take another look? What about an average-looking or unattractive person walking by? They will probably pass them and not even think about it. What about a person that looks like they are up to no good and are going to possibly mug you?

Whether you're walking down the street or interviewing candidates for residency, you are profiling everyone around you whether you realize it or not.

How do you guys know you're unattractive? I don't think anyone would straight up tell you.
Your success, or lack there of, with the opposite sex (if you’re straight) is probably a decent indicator.

Neither of my closest friends are good looking yet they pull a lot of women. Both of them are balding and shortish ( they’re docs tho). Id say social skills has more to do with it.
You don't think that might something to do with their success with women... The $$$ can do magic sometimes.

Your success, or lack there of, with the opposite sex (if you’re straight) is probably a decent indicator.

Eh I dunno.... Sometimes people who are aware they are very average or below average in the looks department are less picky, which in turn leads to a lot of success with the opposite sex. I legit remember reading a study a long time ago that showed that overweight women who rated their looks as "average" had much more frequent and fulfilling, uh, encounters compared to those who considered themselves "very attractive."

Reactions: 1 users
I think our inherent bias against obesity is because obese people are often less active and less driven than their colleagues who are in shape.

Who do you think is going to have a better chance of passing the core: the applicant who finds the time to stay in shape while in med school or the one who doesn't?

Lololol this is exactly the definition of bias. Obese people are less driven and going to fail tests? Okay

Eh I dunno.... Sometimes people who are aware they are very average or below average in the looks department are less picky, which in turn leads to a lot of success with the opposite sex. I legit remember reading a study a long time ago that showed that overweight women who rated their looks as "average" had much more frequent and fulfilling, uh, encounters compared to those who considered themselves "very attractive."

N=1 but yeah I would say in my life prior to getting married this would be true. (Self-aware average-looking overweight female)

Neither of my closest friends are good looking yet they pull a lot of women. Both of them are balding and shortish (they’re docs tho). Id say social skills has more to do with it.
this^. getting laid is all about game for guys. Being good looking just means you can get away with having game thats a little less tight than youre unattractive counterparts, but youre still going to need game. As a woman, all you need is looks to pull guys. Woman are more emotionally stimulated beings while men more physically IMO. Some of my friends who pull the hottest women are avg and have a ton of confidence/game

Lololol this is exactly the definition of bias. Obese people are less driven and going to fail tests? Okay

N=1 but yeah I would say in my life prior to getting married this would be true. (Self-aware average-looking overweight female)

I think that what they’re trying to say is that if you don’t have the drive to take care of your body - as a healthcare professional - what do you have the drive to do?

This also gets to a point about obese vs unattractive. At least personally I don’t give a crap what your facial bone structure looks like. Or if you’re short, or tall, or have weirdly shaped fingers, or whatever. This isn’t sims, people don’t get to choose their body morphology at birth.

But in my mind, obesity goes along with personal hygiene and grooming. It is MODIFIABLE. Unshaven, greasy hair, bad BO, haven’t been to the gym in 6 months. It’s all the same spectrum. If you don’t take care of yourself, what else are you skimping on?

Sometimes it's more than just game. With my most recent girlfriend, a real looker, my talking skills and looks were fine, but I didn't do "enough" for her, as in I didn't show her I cared by planning creative enough activities with her (spending money doesn't equal effort). She gave a new meaning to the term "high maintenance."
Well you had enough game to make her your girlfriend, but yeah i hear you seems like shes straight high maintenance. Some girls don't know what they are getting into when they date a med student, resident or a physician and quickly realize they aren't the center of attention 24/7