Between Physical Therapy and Audiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Key88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to start my sophomore year of college. Up until recently I have been pretty set on pursuing a profession in physical therapy. I even switched my major this last semester from Biology to Kinesiology, specifically Motor Behavior, because the classes are more directed towards the pre-requisites for PT school.
However, family has been telling me that they can see me as an audiologist. This is especially emphasized by one of my relatives who is a Speech-language pathologist.

I am torn between the two now and unsure which way to lean.

Would it be very difficult to pursue Audiology if I am on the path towards PT especially since my school does not have a major in Communication Disorders as is typical of Audiology? I'm not even sure how I would go about doing that.

Any wisdom appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

do what you want to do and not what your family sees you as. If your passion is in physical therapy, then go for it. Maybe you should shadow your relative to get an idea of how a day in the life of an audiologist is and if you're already volunteering or working for a physical therapist, then you'd be able to compare and see where you see yourself in the future.

I agree with UCLA. Just because your family sees you as an audiologist doesn't mean that's what you should do. You should shadow both the PT and Audiologist professions and find out which one you're more passionate about. Pick the profession you see yourself loving to do for years and years.