better course in preparation for the MCAT-microbiology or human physiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdsquared

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be taking the MCAT next April and I was wondering which course will better prepare me for the MCAT, microbiology or human physiology?
This upcoming fall semester I will be taking biology 2 and then for the spring term I can take an upper level bio course. I was told by someone that human physiology is the best course to take before taking the MCAT, but yesterday someone told me that microbiology helped them more than the human physiology.
Which course do you think would be the best to take? I'm not limited to just microbiology or human physiology. I can also take histology, embryology, genetics, or ecology.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd recommend either genetics or physiology. My MCAT had much genetics (more than I was expecting) and just as much physiology... I think I had three or four passages of each topic.

i would say u need both anyways...so it wont make a difference, still have to learn the other one.

Members don't see this ad :)
my $.02: go for human physiology cuz it's broader subject and will cover a lot of topics that'll be on the mcat... microbiology, embryology etc. are much more specific and ur class will prob. go into much greater detail than is tested. u'd still need to learn the basics, no doubt, but not in that much detail.

genetics would be a good preparatory class too... as for ecology, i think i only had like 1 question!

Do you have to finish Bio 2 before the advanced courses? I ask because I would make sure to take Physiology, Genetics, AND Micro before the MCAT (physics would help, too, if that's not your strong point). Remember that you should take the MCAT the spring of your junior year, so don't feel rushed. You also don't want to take all three of those courses (or ANY heavy load) the semester you take the MCAT. It's more important that you do well WHEN you take it, whenever you take it. Good luck to you. :)