Beth Healthcare program for MBBS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jowo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i was recommended this program called Beth Healthcare and its a 4yrs program at CMU and then 1 yrs rotation at NYMC (New York Medical College). Any1 know anything about this program and whether its worth it?

here is their website http://www.bethhealth.com/

Any info would be helpful

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

It's a Five-year program, dual degree: Medical Science MBBS and MS in Clinical Pharmacy. 3 years didactic, 4th year rotations in China (6k+ bed hospital = plentiful/diverse experience), finish off with a 5th year of rotations/electives at NYMC. The fifth year is not a "5th pathway" type thing, but as called by Beth, a "pre-internship" year.

It is a new CONCEPT, but the the two schools involved, CMU and NYMC are well established. While CMU is California approved (it matters to many ppl), this new English based program is NOT. At least not yet. As other English based programs though, I'm betting a future CA approval would be retroactive..

After considering post-baccs such as SFSU, Keck Graduate Institute and others; as well as Osteopathic schools- I for one, am seriously considering this program. SFSU's post-bacc costs 17k, and that debt would just build for me once I start at a U.S. school (I'd be lucky to graduate <$250k debt).

I've met Beth Healthcare's director, and his business model is a sound one, with sincere intentions to help US students achieve their medical professional goals, in a way that other Int'l schools haven't utilized yet, while turning a profit for themselves. They don't hide anything, and don't have a reason to.

Good luck in your research, and again, keep in mind that this isn't a new school that just opened up, but rather a new union between two reputable schools (CMU is ranked #4 in China, out of around 150 medical schools, and NYMC is over 150 years old), and the only thing that's new is the English based part of it, which is NOT CA approved... yet.

Last edited:
Another little detail.

There are currently 10 students there from the Fall 2010 entering class, and I'm hoping to be a part of the 30 students they send there for this Fall. :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
wow great informations

Know anything about how hard it is to get into the program? And IF California does not approve of the program in... say 5 years would i have to find another state to practice?

And do you know of any other programs like Beth?

Sorry about posting at 2 locations :)

Sorry about posting at 2 locations :)

Check out their site. Seems like they are a for-profit company. The purpose is to make money or they can't operate.

They charge more than the education costs in China and New York Medical College (final year).

They charge what the market can bear, and for American med students, the market can bear a lot. Would you really go with this venue?

Last edited:
Check out their site. Seems like they are a for-profit company. The purpose is to make money or they can't operate.

They charge more than the education costs in China and New York Medical College (final year).

They charge what the market can bear, and for American med students, the market can bear a lot. Would you really go with this venue?

They are. From my previous post above:

I've met Beth Healthcare's director, and his business model is a sound one, with sincere intentions to help US students achieve their medical professional goals, in a way that other Int'l schools haven't utilized yet, while turning a profit for themselves. They don't hide anything, and don't have a reason to.

couple that (NYMC clinical year) with: MS Clinical Pharmacy, iFom testing from NCBE (look it up), two deans letters, and other perks, I'd say yea, I'd go to it. It's unique. What other program offers similar? at ~17k/yr?

It might be more expensive than applying to CMU directly, but I'd rather pay more (17k/yr is not bad considering 19-30k avg./SEMESTER of U.S. schools) to have a 5 yr program than a 6 yr MBBS (their standard).. plus the fifth year is in US anyway.

If I can't afford 17k, I'd apply directly I guess, and skip out on the 5th yr in NYMC, which is so vital nowadays, and spend 2 extra years in China for 6 yr. MBBS total.

EDIT: but yes, 17k is still a lot if there isn't FA. They are working on it though, so we'll see

Last edited:
If I can't afford 17k, I'd apply directly I guess, and skip out on the 5th yr in NYMC, which is so vital nowadays, and spend 2 extra years in China for 6 yr. MBBS total.

Without financial aid, few can afford 17k USD in tuition and thousands more in other expenses.

Why do you think a 5th yr in NYMC is so vital nowadays?

US-IMGs can easily get rotations at many hospitals: apply individually. Even if they go to others in India,China,Philipines, they can get clinical experience in the US.

If one doesn't know Mandarin, then has to take the 6yr English-medium. If one is fluent, then study 5-yr Chinese-medium. Tuition in both cases are 5k.

Without financial aid, few can afford 17k USD in tuition and thousands more in other expenses.

Why do you think a 5th yr in NYMC is so vital nowadays?

US-IMGs can easily get rotations at many hospitals: apply individually. Even if they go to others in India,China,Philipines, they can get clinical experience in the US.

If one doesn't know Mandarin, then has to take the 6yr English-medium. If one is fluent, then study 5-yr Chinese-medium. Tuition in both cases are 5k.

-Because it's NYMC. Its hospital affiliations are generally not available to the services that IMG's usually go through (I'll double check, but that's the premise). You'll be rotating with NYMC medical students, rather than at community hospitals that most IMG's rotate at (including those from the Carib, look at Ross' list). Also, you don't have to *apply for this yourself, it's part of the curriculum. Also note, the clinical affiliations of schools in the Philippines at least, are not that great. I do have friends, however; that have done an extra year setting up rotations themselves in the US, in addition to the mediocre US affiliation clinical year that the PI schools set up, and have matched surgery.. not bad, but still, I think rotating with NYMC is better. Also consider the range of clinical experience you would get doing a year in China with greater scope of practice than US students, then come to New York afterwards and show the Attendings what you got, then get an LOR from them vouching on your performance relative to NYMC med students. This might be a stretch, but I can see it happening.

-You get a Master's in Clinical Pharmacy. I don't know the weight of this, and I've heard naysayers about the insignificance of this, but that's all they are, naysayers. It could be a good thing. The premise for this is that you would have greater drug competency than the average MD. Also, an (MD) and a MS, in 5 years is not bad, considering the regular 6-yr (MD) alone program.
-so rather than doing 6 years, do 3 didactic, 1 clinical (China), 1 clinical (NYMC, I think 33 weeks)
(MBBS - MD after the steps)

-Small class size of approx. 30 students. The students I know of are from pretty good universities out of CA (since Beth is based in Irvine), and WA. This, in a small way, tells me that I'll be surrounded by motivated classmates that are focused and won't fool around- and that we'll all be focused on the MLE's.

-12 weeks subspecialty training in specialty and hospital of students' choice, across the nation.

-iFom testing (by NBME, it's a new thing) as an extra measure to prove Int'l competency - School must offer this, an Individual can't just take it. CMU (or Beth exclusively?) offers this testing. Check it out here

-Deans' LORs from CMU and NYMC

Again, the Premise for all this is to give one a competitive edge over other IMG's and even some AMG's for the match- given of course, you do stellar on the Step 1.

Don't mean to sound like a brochure or anything, but I guess that's what you'd be paying extra for, the perks and the lesser time spent in China (save 2 years). Again, the 17k w/ no FA is a downer.. but other than that, the rest is pretty solid. If the money thing really falls through, I'll have to wait another year for PI med schools (they start in June)- hope not, time is precious.

So what are your top choices, Shoushu? Care to share?

EDIT: added "iFom" link above for your convenience =)

Last edited:
My advice: 1. be very careful to a program like this. it is new running on the 2nd year. nobody has completed the whole program yet. 2. It is in a foreign country. you want to make sure you are comfortable studying in a new environment. 3. The best way is to check out the schools in China and New York before you commit your 5 years in it. 4. Ask for the possibilities to communicate with current students.