Best way to Prepare for the Psychology Section MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roayer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, to those who have done well on this section....What did you do? I am lost trying to even start studying for this section. I am scheduled for 5/20/2016 and keep hearing how bad all the review books are. What books/study aids do you recommend for this section. I have taken no psychology or sociology classes and will not be taking any next semester. Was looking for a good recommendation on a textbook/study book for this section. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You should have taken psych or sociology. Look up syllabus information for school online type in (psyc101 syllabus pdf on google) and see the overview of the topics that are learned in that class. Write it down or print it out and start doing your research, they may have required or recommended test included on the syllabus also. I've done this for classes I haven't even started. When specifying that topic type in google (for example: psyc101 types of psychologist ppt) ppt is a powerpoint, you will get slides from decent or elite schools. This is one of the best tips I can give you.

I don't think I need a course, psychology is pretty easy based off the practice tests....I scored pretty well considering I had no idea what alot of terms meant and could just narrow it down. I just want a recommended testprep or textbook for studying for that section and a few tips from people who scored high.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have any decent amount of anxiety, I recommend looking through the book while in an, at least moderately, anxious state. Take some notes of what conditions you think you've got. Make sure you really consider all the possibilities. Next, analyze every person you've known since 5th grade. Don't hold back.

This mindset is the miracle. This is a memory map. Would you forget that Leukemia's cancer? No. Would you forget

Don't hold back.

This will lead to you understanding more useful questions. For example: Now that you've diagnosed everyone with their appropriate malady, what is the appropriate course of action for for which person (you've diagnose) in your life?

Should you employ...

a) primary intervention
b) secondary intervention
c) both b and c
d) none of the above

For whom would b) be especially contraindicated?

Just do this. Apply it to your life. Enrich your understanding of those around you. You will learn so much... it's hard to forget some things.

This is the power of memory maps.
Hmm that seems Like an interesting idea. I do that anyway so when I took the practice test I only missed 10 questions which were all terms because I haven't taken either course. It didn't seem that hard, almost like the verbal but i am just wondering what is a good book to get all the concepts in definition form and to tell which ones are most important. Thanks

When studying psych (and this will work in med school as well) you want to not just memorize random definitions or concepts, but to learn classic real-world examples of a given concept or pathology. If you can use the information and be more active with it, it will stick better. This is similar to how using the equations in physics and chemistry is better than just memorizing them.

Good luck!

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I prefer studying concepts anyway it just seemed like that section was a little more nit picky.