Best Way to Prepare for PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDPotential

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen some threads that discuss about how to do well on the PCAT. But does anyone have any advice for preparation with the new PCAT? I know it's simply switched to the computers, but any advice would be very appreciated from how to study, what to focus on the most, etc.
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

My friend took the PCAT twice, and he did much better on the reading section the second time around because he studied out of the MCAT book :p

I dropped money on one of those study courses(don't know forum rules too well bc I'm new so I don't want to recommend any and piss anyone off but I'm sure youve heard of them) and it gave me a solid study plan as well as homework and class time..in other words it gave me a ton of structure and specific areas to study on...I studied all July and August then went and took the pcat in early September...I did well enough to get accepted into school for fall 2012 so I think it was well worth the money.

Members don't see this ad :)
Having taken both the paper based and the computer based version I would say be prepared to use the strange plastic sheet things for scratch paper instead of the margins of a booklet. Also take the earplugs or headphones if offered. I remember how LOUD all the other people typing and clicking away sounded... haha... may sound ridiculous but it kinda feels like when there is a person with a runny nose sniffling throughout an exam and then slowly everyone with runny noses all start sniffling in unison or close to each other once someone else sniffles... maybe I'm just crazy but things like that can break my concentration after the marathon the PCAT is.

Also time is your friend. Start as early as possible with prep work. Use whatever books are available that review all the old stuff you may have forgotten. Also remember you get NO calculator to use so get use to rounding where appropriate or how to quickly identify answers that you can throw out by they don't make sense. Stuff like you know that value is way to small or too high kinda stuff.

Bottom line.. just good old fashion hitting the books and spending time on what you don't know or remember anymore. I have heard good things from people about the Pearson's Practice exams because they said the questions were very similar to the stuff you will actually see with some actually being duplicated.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Honestly, if you are at a good science university, just pay attention to your classes and care about the goals you have for yourself. No book or course will supersede years of blowing off class or merely studying for unit exams. The only preparation I had for my 90th percentile PCAT was the kaplan prep exams and some other random practice test book from Barnes and Noble. I must give 90% of that credit to my pre-req university and just being mentally prepared to take the exam.

I would say be prepared to use the strange plastic sheet things for scratch paper instead of the margins of a booklet.
That's the one thing I am not looking forward to. I typically write and scribble all over my exams, this will be a change.

I would also recommend going in and being one of the first, if not the first, to start the test. At my first time, I remember hearing the door close and open for the first break which disrupted my concentration and made me nervous. I found myself losing time and hurrying. Sounds small but for me time was the most essential.

in addition to the methods listed above, i would greatly recommend buying the three old PCATs from pearson and doing them on your own as seriously and close to the real thing. that means finish in one sitting and use the timer and be sure to not go over. it gives you a feel for the test and gets you used to taking an exam on a computer. also, at the end, they give you a relatively informative breakdown of your score and what you would have scored had it been a real test so you can use that to work on your weak spots.

you are so right. but which prep course did you take, Dr Collins or Kaplan. I so need to take one or the other now
I dropped money on one of those study courses(don't know forum rules too well bc I'm new so I don't want to recommend any and piss anyone off but I'm sure youve heard of them) and it gave me a solid study plan as well as homework and class time..in other words it gave me a ton of structure and specific areas to study on...I studied all July and August then went and took the pcat in early September...I did well enough to get accepted into school for fall 2012 so I think it was well worth the money.

I took the Kaplan class after being out in the work force for 7 years and it helped me get a 91 composite. They give you so much information ( quizzes/exams, study materials etc) online that if you do them all, you will be fine. Their big book is great for the Bio section as it is almost an exact copy of their MCAT book. I also invested $40 in Chad's videos and those over-prepare you for Ochem and chem.... and for me I wanted to be over-prepared since it had been so long since I cracked open a text book.

The online Pearson tests helped me the most. I did all 3 tests in a timed setting, as if I was writing the actual PCAT, and I found that to be super-helpful with time management on the real test.

The biggest difference is that the math section was harder on the real PCAT. There was a lot more calculus and the problems were just generally harder so time management was the toughest for that section.

I used the big Kaplan book to study, and I studied for 1-2 hrs per day for about a month before the test. Chem and Math are weak in Kaplan, so I supplemented that by looking over my old calculus and OChem/PhysChem textbooks.

Hi,
I am taking PCAT in July. I did some research on PCAT website and found out the blueprint and sample item for PCAT test 2012-2013.
There are some modification there, especially in Biology. It includes General Biology, Diversity of Life Forms, Health, Microbiology, Human Anatomy and Physiology.
Under Microbiology, it includes microorganisms, infectious diseases and prevention, Microbial Ecology, Medical Microbiology, and immunity.
Under Health, it includes nutrition, diseases and drugs.
For those two sections, how should I prepared for them? Currently I am using Dr. Collin and Kaplan book. But they are older version though. I am not sure it will sufficient.
Also, for quantitative session, what is the best book to use in order to study for it. I am not sure Dr. Collion's study guide is sufficient for it.
I really need to do well in the Exam to get at least 85% in order to get into the school that I have been wanted to attend, since my undergrade GPA is just around 3.2 (accumulative). But I have my master degree in chemistry (GPA 3.85). I do have upward tran in term of my GPA.
I am just really worried. Plus I applied last year and went to 5 interviews. I was not in the master program at that time. Unfortunately, I couldn't get into any schools.:(
This time I am going to try again with the best short.
Any suggestion would be appreciated.