Best way to get clinical hours for physician assistant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which would be the best for clinical hours

• Caregiver

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Hospice

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Medical scribe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

angie.19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have 3 different opportunities and was wondering which one would look best and count for clinical hours for PA school. There is a position as a volunteer at a hospice, working as a medical scribe and working as a caregiver. Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

These days, I would suggest being a scribe. Be sure to check with each program you want to apply to, because they are the ultimate factor in what they accept as appropriate healthcare experience. Of the three choices, its probably the best work environment as well. You get to hang around physicians all shift and gain some insight into what they do and how they think. Little to no responsibility, no matter what some former scribes will insist, but these days with HCE requirements rather low in many or most schools, being a scribe will probably do well for you, as there are plenty of folks reporting that they were successful at getting into school with it.

Reactions: 1 user
We had many future PAs come through our volunteer rescue squad over the years - there is a little bit of an investment up front in terms of getting an EMT certification, but many really enjoy it and can often get some excellent patient care experience.

Being an EMT was the primary healthcare experience I had going into medical school, I am so thankful I had the opportunity as I was going through the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Scribe. It's the best among the three you listed in terms of getting hours for minimal investment; however, you really don't care for a patient.

You asked which would be the "best", but then offered up the three "easiest".

Easy rarely equals best.

Want the best? Become a RN, FMF corpsman, or paramedic first.

Want the easies. Caregiver, hospice, or scribe.

Reactions: 1 user
You asked which would be the "best", but then offered up the three "easiest".

Easy rarely equals best.

Want the best? Become a RN, FMF corpsman, or paramedic first.

Want the easies. Caregiver, hospice, or scribe.

I've got to agree. Being a paid caregiver or a hospice volunteer (who is precluded from doing anything even remotely "care" related) or a scribe is not going to wow anyone. Perhaps, if you're going for low hanging - you could do a CNA gig. At least it's paid personal care with the added benefit of dealing with IVs (removal, and just general familiarity), urinary catheters, blood draws, patient positioning and taking vital signs. Think hospital rather than nursing home. I'd try to work on surgical, oncology, or ICU. Lots of fun stuff to learn in those areas.