best time to submit ERAS for AOA match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctah27

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anybody have a good timeline to submit ERAS when participating in AOA match..? :)

Members don't see this ad.

anybody have a good timeline to submit ERAS when participating in AOA match..? :)

As soon as possible? If I'm not mistaken, AOA programs should be able to receive and open your application materials starting around early September. You should definitely certify your application before then, and have at least your LORs scanned too.

With ERAS you don't wait until everything is available and then "submit" the application (you can, but I wouldn't recommend it).

You complete the application as soon as you can and then you have the option to certify or not. When you certify, the programs you've chosen will receive your application. At this point, they know you're applying to their program but most likely they won't have your entire package.

As you complete your COMLEX or USMLE and the scores arrive, and as soon as people complete your letters of recommendation, they can be fed into ERAS and your app package will take shape. You can track the progress of your application online. It shows you each program you've applied to and whether they've received the materials or not.

Once during one of my residency interviews my interviewer had my ERAS application open on his screen while talking to me. The data displays very nicely, and they have a full page full of your details and stats, including a photo. It was pretty impressive (and scary).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiousity...I know that MD programs cannot offer MD applicants positions outside of the match. Do AOA programs ever offer DO applicants pre-match positions?

Out of curiousity...I know that MD programs cannot offer MD applicants positions outside of the match. Do AOA programs ever offer DO applicants pre-match positions?

Well, MD programs can offer MD applicants positions outside the match as long as those MD grads are independent applicants (such as foreign graduates).

AOA programs are not allowed to offer applicants pre-match positions since that would be a violation of match rules.