Best time to ask for recommendations? Online courses bad for nontrads?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wildjohn999

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First question:
I have read this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=138533 However it does not cover the best time or how to ask for recommendations.

Right now I am Acing both Bio 101 + Lab and next semester I will be taking 102 with the same teachers, maybe swap the lab guy for the lecture guy and vice versa just to see how the other teaches lab or lecture. When would be the best time to ask for my recommendations from both of these professors or should it just be one? How should I do this and when would be the best time?

Second question:
Are extended learning classes bad for nontrads? I have very limited time to take classes, which is only during the evening. In my first question I am trying to fit in the two same teachers from this semester into next semester's schedule. One way to do this is to take them at the same time I am taking them now for Spring 2005 and then take Chem 111 online + Lab (three Saturdays next semester). Or I can drop the guy I am taking for lab now, he's not a TA but a actual lecturer at the school so I figure I can hit him up for a LOR, and just shoehorn in Chem 111 + Lab in during one of the evening sessions. I would like to do the former option but the later option would mean losing one potential LOR from a teacher I am Acing now and a potential Chem professor even though it is more convenient for my schedule. Does anyone know are online courses detrimental to one's future medical applications? If not online chm 111 here I come!

Thanks for any info.

Fred

Members don't see this ad.

wildjohn999 said:
First question:
I have read this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=138533 However it does not cover the best time or how to ask for recommendations.

Right now I am Acing both Bio 101 + Lab and next semester I will be taking 102 with the same teachers, maybe swap the lab guy for the lecture guy and vice versa just to see how the other teaches lab or lecture. When would be the best time to ask for my recommendations from both of these professors or should it just be one? How should I do this and when would be the best time?

Second question:
Are extended learning classes bad for nontrads? I have very limited time to take classes, which is only during the evening. In my first question I am trying to fit in the two same teachers from this semester into next semester's schedule. One way to do this is to take them at the same time I am taking them now for Spring 2005 and then take Chem 111 online + Lab (three Saturdays next semester). Or I can drop the guy I am taking for lab now, he's not a TA but a actual lecturer at the school so I figure I can hit him up for a LOR, and just shoehorn in Chem 111 + Lab in during one of the evening sessions. I would like to do the former option but the later option would mean losing one potential LOR from a teacher I am Acing now and a potential Chem professor even though it is more convenient for my schedule. Does anyone know are online courses detrimental to one's future medical applications? If not online chm 111 here I come!

Thanks for any info.

Fred

Hi there,
As many courses are offered on-line or extended learning this year, you can take some of your courses in this manner but your pre-MCAT courses should be taken at university with lab. On-line/extended-learning courses were designed for busy people who are unable to attend classes at a specified time each day. You can easily take things like Psych or Soc and perhaps history but leave the science course work traditional for now.

Ask for LORs when you and the professor have a strong working relationship. Getting an A in a class does not translate into a good strong letter unless you have some kind of relationship with the professor beyond just sitting in class and taking tests. Does this person know your goals? Have you given them a CV? Has this person helped you with a research project? Is this person in a position to vouch for your work ethic and suitability for medicine as a career? When students that I did not know well, asked me for a LOR and provided me with little information, I would write a form letter that clearly indicated that while they did well in my class, I did not know them personally. Try to avoid this situation by getting to know your professor and allowing that professor to get to know you. It can be as simple as writing a letter or a quick 20-minute meeting to discuss your goals and ambitions.

Good luck!
njbmd :)

njbmd,

Thanks for the info. I just registered for Chem 111 + Lab, Tues + Thursdays 730-10PM and Bio 102, Mond + Wednesday 730-10PM, none are online. I will try to get more personable with my profs to get those LOR but it still seems so foreign to me.

Fred

Although folks may feel like this is "kissing up to the prof" that is the furthest thing from the truth. You want a letter from someone that can actually write about not just your academic potential but all the other "soft" things like are you a team player, do you show compassion, do you help others out, etc. Medical schools are interested in not only academic potential but also in those that will serve their community and work well in a team. Get to know your professor outside of class so this person can write a meaningful LOR for you.