Best thing to do the summer before M1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

12hey12

Hi. What is the best thing to do the summer (actually the spring semester and summer) before becoming an M1? Do you guys suggest that we review anything? I realize that I'll be studying 24/7 in med school, but will reviewing some things over summer help me out? What about buying a Step 1 book?

Members don't see this ad.

Europe, say in July for the whole month! :D

12hey12 said:
Hi. What is the best thing to do the summer (actually the spring semester and summer) before becoming an M1? Do you guys suggest that we review anything? I realize that I'll be studying 24/7 in med school, but will reviewing some things over summer help me out? What about buying a Step 1 book?

I'm sorry, but are you f*cking crazy?

I went to Greece with my girlfriend for two weeks, hung out at the beach, drank many different kinds of alcohol, took a ferry to Italy, train to Rome, and flew back in time for orientation.

And you know what? I'm now and 3rd year going on 4th and never ONCE did I think "man, I should've studied before coming to med school"

For the love of God, HAVE FUN before going to Med School.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Blue Scrub said:

This is exactly what I did the summer before M1, and I'm so glad I did it :).

The stupidest thing in the world that you could ever do is study the summer b4 med school. If you do study b4 med school you might be the dumbest person on earth.

That being said, I know that when I was in your shoes I was so freaked out about starting school that if somebody told me to study I probably would have.

It's very lucky for you that you now know me.... Relax, drink obscene amounts and cavort with loose women/men (whatever does it for you). Believe me there is more than enough time once you start to learn eveything you need to.

12hey12 said:

TAKE THE SUMMER OFF YOU FREAK. Enjoy yourself, really. They'll teach you all you need to know once you get there.

drink heavily

12hey12 said:
ahahha, have we yet to see a med student say "u should review biochem" hahaha... i guess going to europe is a good idea afterall... here I come ;)

Dumpling said:
This is exactly what I did the summer before M1, and I'm so glad I did it :).

Awesome!! Yeah I cant wait, and I know it will totally blow most of my savings, but I know in the end it will totally be worth it! im so psyched...

12hey12 i think the consensus from the current med schoolers is to go out, party, get wasted, sleep most of the next day to rid of the hangover, then hit the beach and just chill, and continually do this until you start classes.....

man, so much hostility comes out when someone asks this type of question! :laugh:

Eat, Drink, and be Merry! Its the last time you will be so carefree for a longtime, and if youre not carefree now, your in for a long road...enjoy the summer off. :)

Blue Scrub said:

Quitting my job My 20th and leaving May 23rd... :thumbup: :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Three important things to do before M1 year:

1. Enjoy the fact that you can brag about being a medical student without having to study yet. You'll miss that time, trust me.

2. Watch out for folks asking you medical advices. Remember, to your friends and family you became a doctor once you received your acceptance letter.

3. ENJOY YOURSELF!

Do what you want. You can study or you could just have fun. If you're a bio major, you have an advantage. If not, you could study anatomy.

Yeah, everyone says not to study, but the REAL secret to succeeding as an MS1 is to go in fully prepared. The more preparation, the better, right?

So buy a copy of Netter. Memorize it. That should take you about 3 days.

Next, buy a copy of Robbin's Pathological Basis of Disease. Memorize that. That should take you 4-5 days, a week tops.

Finally, buy a copy of Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. Memorize that. Harrison's isn't that long, so maybe 2 days, and you'll have it down.

You'll sure to be the head of your MS1 class with this knowledge! :thumbup:

(disclaimer: Not responsible for MS0 head explosions - and if you actually thought I was serious, you're insane. Go to the beach and have fun. :))

12hey12 said:
I realize that I'll be studying 24/7 in med school
You should study all summer so you can get an hr or two sleep during the first semester.

I got a job working for an ENT doc for the summer. About a month into it, realized he was the biggest dingus on the face of the earth so I quit. Spent the rest of the summer relaxing on the lake with my boyfriend...

I'm actually a huge dork and did study some anatomy though. I don't really think it helped much, so I wouldn't advise anyone to study the summer before. Unless of course you're a neurotic obsessive compulsive like me, in which case it might make you feel better to look over some stuff before school starts. :laugh:

Its a tradeoff. Either party during the summer and study during school, or study during the summer and party during school.

get a chair, a bucket of ice, and a 6pack. put chair in sun. lie on chair. drink beer. repeat for entire summer.

i swear you won't regret it. the only reason you should even have a book out is if it is to rest your feet on, or to open and cover your face with when you feel too hot.

Ross434 said:
Its a tradeoff. Either party during the summer and study during school, or study during the summer and party during school.
I doubt the ones who study over the summer will party much during school.

Do what ever makes you feel good (as in, less insecure). There are people in med school who are so insecure, they don't know what to do with themselves when not studying. If you're already like this and unwilling to get professional help, then study the summer away. Just realize that the summer studying is likely to be very low yield and little will be retained. When you get to school, they will tell you what to know.

My soon to be MS3, ultra-cool boyfriend suggests studying a neuro text....like the Haines (sp?) one. Thoughts? :D

Do nothing. Do absolutely nothing, and it will be everything you think it could be.

Seriously though, take it easy and enjoy it. Its your second to last summer ever.

get a life...seriously. Travel. Get those bugs out of your system. Because you're not going to have a single interesting thing to talk about with people outside of medical school once you begin.

crys20 said:
My soon to be MS3, ultra-cool boyfriend suggests studying a neuro text....like the Haines (sp?) one. Thoughts? :D
Haines is an atlas. Memorizing landmarks with no idea of function or connections gauratees it as short term learing. Besides, it sounds like bad advice to me. Most schools take neuro in the spring or sometimes even 2nd yr and various schools focus on different things. For many these days, it's a 6wk course.

evajaclynn said:
Quitting my job My 20th and leaving May 23rd... :thumbup: :)

Damn you! You're going before me!! just kidding, that's awesome...i cant stand my job anymore and I'm gonna stick it out for another 6 weeks, and have like a week and a half until I leave on July 5th

Travel was the best thing I could do.

I drove cross country, state to state, saw areas I only heard about.

It turned out that during the drive, I was thinking much about what I expected of myself in medschool, how I wanted to perform, how I would go about doing that (didn't plan on doing this meditative process)--> it turned out that I did extremely well the first 1/2 of the year as those thoughts from the trip kept rolling through my mind.

Studying will hardly help.

Spend 6 weeks in San Antonio (mid June - end of July) running and doing situps and pushups; Learn how to dress and speak a new language; Spend a week in the woods sweating through your clothes while being gassed and shooting rifles - But hey that's jsut me :D

By the way, did I mention that I have to do Officer Basic for the Army. Kind of a package deal with going to USUHS.

In all seriousness, relax and enjoy yourself for God's sake!

JOE

jtriplet said:
Spend 6 weeks in San Antonio (mid June - end of July) running and doing situps and pushups; Learn how to dress and speak a new language; Spend a week in the woods sweating through your clothes while being gassed and shooting rifles - But hey that's jsut me :D

By the way, did I mention that I have to do Officer Basic for the Army. Kind of a package deal with going to USUHS.

In all seriousness, relax and enjoy yourself for God's sake!

JOE
Great reply..
Just to reiterate the other posts...Chill out and have some fun. Travel, get laid, steal something, do some illegal drugs...anything

Previous knowledge is absolutely important.
The most difficult at the beginning will be the physiological sciences, mainly Biochemistry (If you have good memory you should not have problems with Morphological sciences).

Review:

Chemistry:

General Chemistry:

The Properties of Atoms and Molecules
Chemical Bonds. Ionic bonds and covalent bonds.
Molecular interactions.
The secondary forces. Polar covalent bonds; dipole-dipole interactions; the hydrogen bond; London forces.

Chemical Change:
Chemical kinetics.
Chemical Equilibrium.
Acids and Bases
Buffers and Buffered solutions

Organic Chemistry:
Molecular and structural formulas ((in organic compounds)
Families of Organic compounds.

Stereoisomerism

Mathematics:

Decimal notation and scientific notation. Negative numbers and positive numbers.

Log scales: log evaluation, logs on calculators, log graphs, changing log to exponents, common log or base 10. Rules of logs: sums and differences of logs properties, log of exponents property, simplifying logs.

Systems of linear equations. Solving graphically. Algebraic substitution. Algebraic elimination. Sigmoidal, hyperbolic and other axis-coordinates graphics. Converting non-lineal relations in lineal relations

Physics:

The basis of thermodynamics: Types of thermodynamic systems; Thermodynamics of living organisms. Free energy changes, and endergonic and exergonic processes. Energetic coupling.
Relationship between flow of electrons and Energy.

Cell Biology:

Structure of the cell. Composition of protoplasm. Nucleus and cell organelles.
Structure of chromosome. DNA and RNA. Mitosis and meiosis.

hdu said:
Previous knowledge is absolutely important.
The most difficult at the beginning will be the physiological sciences, mainly Biochemistry (If you have good memory you should not have problems with Morphological sciences).

Review:

Chemistry:

General Chemistry:

The Properties of Atoms and Molecules
Chemical Bonds. Ionic bonds and covalent bonds.
Molecular interactions.
The secondary forces. Polar covalent bonds; dipole-dipole interactions; the hydrogen bond; London forces.

Chemical Change:
Chemical kinetics.
Chemical Equilibrium.
Acids and Bases
Buffers and Buffered solutions

Organic Chemistry:
Molecular and structural formulas ((in organic compounds)
Families of Organic compounds.

Stereoisomerism

Mathematics:

Decimal notation and scientific notation. Negative numbers and positive numbers.

Log scales: log evaluation, logs on calculators, log graphs, changing log to exponents, common log or base 10. Rules of logs: sums and differences of logs properties, log of exponents property, simplifying logs.

Systems of linear equations. Solving graphically. Algebraic substitution. Algebraic elimination. Sigmoidal, hyperbolic and other axis-coordinates graphics. Converting non-lineal relations in lineal relations

Physics:

The basis of thermodynamics: Types of thermodynamic systems; Thermodynamics of living organisms. Free energy changes, and endergonic and exergonic processes. Energetic coupling.
Relationship between flow of electrons and Energy.

Cell Biology:

Structure of the cell. Composition of protoplasm. Nucleus and cell organelles.
Structure of chromosome. DNA and RNA. Mitosis and meiosis.

......... :laugh:

Happy613 said:
The stupidest thing in the world that you could ever do is study the summer b4 med school. If you do study b4 med school you might be the dumbest person on earth.

That being said, I know that when I was in your shoes I was so freaked out about starting school that if somebody told me to study I probably would have.

It's very lucky for you that you now know me.... Relax, drink obscene amounts and cavort with loose women/men (whatever does it for you). Believe me there is more than enough time once you start to learn eveything you need to.

Geez, I wish you were one of my friends in real life.

Have fun, dont do anything that even resembles work or studying. Rest your brain cells before the onslaught begins!

Shodddy18 said:
Have fun, dont do anything that even resembles work or studying. Rest your brain cells before the onslaught begins!

Kill those weak and inferior brain cells by however you like, and leave the strong and superior ones for when school starts :)