Technology Best tablet for med school notes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neurophage

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I researched the "best" notetaking devices. I use quotes to acknowledge that some people will always prefer pen and paper. That is fine. You can start a separate thread about the best spiral notebooks and ballpoint pens. This thread is for technology-loving nerds.

Prices are always changing and new devices come out all the time, so don't expect this to be up to date when you read it. Use this regularly-updated spreadsheet to find additional Windows tablets with active digitizers.

Before reading about specific options, think about what you want to do with your tablet. Do you:
  • want your tablet to be the only computer you own?
  • want to dock it with external monitors and a keyboard at home and avoid syncing hassles?
  • want to use it for presentations and/or patient education?
  • want to carry it around in your labcoat pocket in the wards?
  • want to study and work on the go, without using your phone's 4G?
  • already own a nice laptop?
  • prefer to carry a both a laptop and tablet so as not to make any compromises?
  • need to budget your resources carefully?
  • take notes exclusively by hand and need a very precise stylus?
  • take notes mostly by typing and need a great keyboard?
  • need to budget your money so you can afford a good office chair, desk, travel, etc?
All of those things are possible, but there is no one device that fits every bullet point.

Because there are a lot of tablets and hybrids on the market, I only wrote about devices meeting these criteria:
  • Must include a stylus for drawing diagrams and handwriting when convenient
  • Notes must be fully searchable, including OCR
  • Battery life should be as high as possible
  • Device should be as light as possible
  • Screen should be at least ~10 inches
These are the main possibilities I've come up with:

Surface Pro 3

This is a great tablet that is a pleasure to use. The aesthetics are very well done all around; it just feels better than cheaper tablets I've tried. The high-resolution, bright screen looks amazing. It's also powerful. It is possible to power a dual monitor setup with the SP3, if you pick the right monitor (see another post on the first page of this thread for more info). The i5 model with 8gb of RAM should handle anything a med student would reasonably want to do with a tablet. The base i3 is plenty if you don't plan to use external monitors with a lot of multitasking. The drawback is that it's way too expensive. I bought the SP3 and I still feel pricetag remorse. Also, it's a new device and there are some quirks, like F.lux causing freezes with the factory graphics driver.

Highlights
  • $800 and up + $130 for Type keyboard, 10% student discount
  • This month you can get $150 off with an edu email address instead of the normal 10%, AND stack a 10%-off Best Buy mover's coupon
  • 12-inch screen
  • 1.7lb
  • 7.5 hour battery life

Choose if:
  • You want a bigger screen.
  • You want a complete laptop replacement.
  • You want to be able to position the screen at any angle.
  • You tend to dislike tablet keyboards and want something that feels more natural.
  • You don't ever want to carry a laptop.
  • You want to power 1-2 external monitors with your tablet for studying.
  • You want one of the i7 models that packs a lot more power than other tablets ($1,549)
Avoid if:
  • The extra size and weight bother you.
  • You’re on a tight budget.
  • You like to study in areas with no wifi and can't use your phone's 4G.
  • You want to hold it in tablet mode and watch videos - it can run hot.
  • There aren't a lot of power outlets around your school - battery life could be better.
  • You want to use the built in camera for scanning in handouts or other things - it's fixed focus and terrible.
Surface Pro 2
  • I chose to put this back in the guide because the price is falling lately. I saw a factory refurb for under $300, and that would be an absolute steal. It is very similar to the SP3. In fact, some reports say the performance is slightly better. The main differences are the screen and therefore the keyboard are smaller, the device is thicker, and the keyboard is harder to use on the lap.
Thinkpad 10 Tablet

This is an incremental update to the Thinkpad Tablet 2. The CPU is lower powered than the Surface, but it should be more than sufficient for any med school related activity that doesn't involve external monitors. It has better battery life than the Surface tablets, it's lighter, and there is a model with integrated 4G for those who spend a lot of time away from wifi - something that's not available on the SP3. Unfortunately this tablet is pricey. This month you can get $150 off a Surface tablet from BestBuy, which stacks with their movers coupon. That puts the base model SP3 below the Thinkpad 10 in price.

Highlights
  • $600 + $130 for keyboard
  • 10.1-inch screen
  • 1.3 lb
  • Not officially released and hasn’t been thoroughly reviewed yet.

Choose if:
  • You want a lightweight 10-inch Windows tablet that is more comfortable to hold tablet-style than a Surface
  • You want a Windows tablet with 4G

Avoid if:
  • You do a lot of CPU-hungry tasks, since the Atom is a low-power CPU.
  • The fixed angle when docked to the keyboard bothers you.
  • You want to use your tablet to power your external monitor(s) while you study.
  • You're on a budget.

Thinkpad 2 Tablet

This tablet from Lenovo has an older generation, low-power Atom CPU, but it will still get the job done. If you’re on a budget and don’t plan to use your tablet for games or other CPU-intensive tasks, strongly consider this tablet.

Highlights
  • $266 + $120 keyboard (you can probably find lower now)
  • ~8-9 hour battery life
  • Wacom active digitizer (good stylus)
  • Older generation Atom CPU (a lot slower than current gen i5)
  • 10.1 inch screen
  • 1.3lb without keyboard

Choose if:
  • You’re on a tight budget and want a Windows tablet
  • You want good battery life in a light device.

Avoid if:
  • You want to use your tablet just like a laptop with no slowdowns

Sony VAIO Flip 14 (and other Sony hybrids)

These are not tablets; they're laptops with active digitizers. If you don't like tablets but want to use a stylus, these are worth a look. I wanted to evaluate these more holistically, but I couldn't find them in a store. They would probably be a fine choice for those that want a laptop with a stylus rather than a tablet. But at the price point, many are likely to prefer the SP3. Check the spreadsheet linked earlier in the post to make sure the model you're considering has an active digitizer.

Choose if:
  • You prefer laptops to tablets but want stylus functionality
  • You plan to type on your lap frequently
  • You want a big screen
  • You have big hands or don’t like small keyboards

Avoid if:
  • You want to hold your device in one hand while taking notes with a stylus
  • Carrying a 4.2lb device would bother you
  • You study in areas with no wifi and don't want to use your phone's 4g

iPad Air

You already know what this is. In my opinion it’s more geared toward entertainment than productivity, but Apple’s device does carry some advantages over Windows tablets: It has a high-quality warranty and customer service, holds resale/trade in value well, has the highest overall build quality, and has access to iOS-only apps that may be useful to a med student.
  • $499 and up + $70-100 keyboard + variable cost of stylus
  • 11+ hour battery life
  • 9.7 inch screen
  • 1lb without keyboard
  • No active digitizer (imprecise stylus)

Choose if:
  • You want the highest pixel density
  • You want something very light and slim
  • You want the best battery life
  • You have a laptop and don’t mind carrying both devices sometimes
  • You like to upgrade frequently
  • Warranty quality/good tech support are important to you
  • You want access to apps that are available on iOS but not Windows
  • You prefer to have a separate laptop and tablet (and carry both).

Avoid if:
  • You want to use OneNote (may become functional with future updates)
  • You plan to use a stylus heavily
  • You like multitasking
  • You want to use Windows apps like Papers on your tablet
  • You’re looking for a laptop replacement
  • You want to avoid jailbreaking and associated headaches

Cheap Android tablets:

If I were to generally become a fanboy of one platform over another, I’d be in Google’s camp. But I am hard pressed to find a compelling reason to choose an Android tablet over other platforms for medical school. Android tablets carry all of the disadvantages of iPads, plus some extras. Samsung produces some tablets that are specifically designed for notetaking and have active digitizers, but at their price point I couldn’t find any reason to choose them over a high quality Windows tablet. I think a cheap Android tablet could be useful to a student on a tight budget who can’t afford another touchscreen device - but if something else is available, skip this option. (That being said, I am still actively looking for a good notetaking setup on Android.)

Choose if:
  • You’re on a VERY tight budget
  • You already have a laptop and don’t mind carrying both devices sometimes
  • You tend to lose or break stuff and don’t want to worry about an expensive device
  • You love Google Now and other Google services and want them tightly integrated into your tablet

Avoid if:
  • You want excellent build quality
  • You want to use OneNote
  • You like multitasking
  • A limited selection of apps compared to Windows and iOS bothers you
Samsung Galaxy Note Pro

This is an Android tablet with an active digitizer and some proprietary notetaking software. I had low expectations for this device but actually found it to be quite good. The active digitizer is very smooth and the software seems to work well. Unfortunately the price is so high that you can get a great Windows tablet for the same amount or less. It's also not clear to me what compatibility issues would be encountered when using this for presentations or anything else that requires interactions with PC peripherals.

Additional Considerations

Windows 8 vs. iPad vs. Android

Advantages of Windows 8:
  • The main point tipping me toward Windows 8 is OneNote. In undergrad, I had a big heavy hybrid tablet that I used to insert PDFs and Powerpoints into OneNote and then annotate them. The best part was that I could search all of my notes and handouts as well as every paper I'd stored in OneNote at once. This guy has a video that shows how he does it in med school: http://www.dysgraphicmusings.com/2013/11/how-to-study-in-medical-school.html My research indicates that to get the same functionality out of an iPad, you'd have to use a separate program to annotate things and then send them to Evernote or OneNote. It's doable, but it's extra work.
  • The active digitizers in the Windows tablets mentioned here are reported to be far superior to any stylus available for the iPad.
  • Full Windows 8 tablets can run any Windows app and do everything a laptop with the same specs can do. That includes using research library software, running your school's proprietary exam software, etc.

Advantages of iPad:
  • Better build quality (except maybe the Surface Pro 3)
  • Better warranty
  • Lighter
  • Better battery life.
  • They hold their resale/trade in value well.
  • Much wider variety of accessories available.
  • Some interesting medical apps that are not available for Windows.
  • ALL iPad apps are touch interfaced, where many of the legacy Windows apps you'll use on a Windows tablet are not.
Note: Microsoft has been actively developing OneNote for iPad, and it may be fully functional in the future.

Advantages of Android:
  • I want to like Android tablets. Due to its information-centered approach to technology, I generally like Google better than Apple and Microsoft. That said, I currently can't find any reasons to prefer an Android tablet for the purpose at hand. There are more touch-optimized apps than the Windows store - but not as many as iOS, and you lose access to traditional Windows apps. There are inexpensive Android tablets - but great deals can be found on Windows tablets also. Android tablets can get the job done - they're just not the best.

Papers, Mendeley, etc.
There are apps for OSX and Windows that organize peer-reviewed material you've collected for easy searching, generating citations, and annotation. When I graduate med school and the training wheels come off, I want to have experience using these, and have a well-organized database of articles relevant to my residency This is pertinent to the topic at hand because one could run these apps on a Windows tablet, saving the effort of moving them later. There is the possibility of using an iOS or Android annotation app and then importing annotated PDFs into your research library app, but that's cumbersome.

Windows RT
Do not make the mistake of buying a Windows RT tablet. Don't even take one for free. These devices cannot run non-Metro Windows apps. Couple that with the fact that the Windows app store doesn't have a lot of apps, and probably half of what it does have are scams, and you've got a class of devices that can't die off fast enough. You've been warned.

The Verdict
I bought the Surface Pro 3. I wanted one single device that could do everything med school related, including handle two external displays. This is not a perfect device, and to be honest I think it's a poor value - but it met my needs the best. That said, there are a lot of other devices that are perfectly suitable for med students, and some will prefer other devices.

So there you have it. I left a lot of info out of this simple guide for the sake of brevity. I will not be researching different tablets for the time being, but will try to continue to answer questions about the SP3 and tablets in general. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
what about note 10.1 2014 edition ?

The stylus integration is reportedly well done, but the battery life isn't great. Also, it's an Android tablet. They are fine for some purposes, but the lack of app selection makes them a poor laptop replacement for med school notes in my opinion. They have the same disadvantages as an iPad except a better stylus experience, but lack the advantages of the iPad over Windows 8 tablets. For the money, you're just better off getting something else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for this really interesting post.

I'm surprised you found the Android selection so limiting though - I know quantity does not equal quality but there are some solid apps for note taking that are available on both iOS and Android...iAnnotate for example. Adobe Reader is a reasonable choice too for some functions.

Thanks for this really interesting post.

I'm surprised you found the Android selection so limiting though - I know quantity does not equal quality but there are some solid apps for note taking that are available on both iOS and Android...iAnnotate for example. Adobe Reader is a reasonable choice too for some functions.

I'm not saying those apps are bad. They're probably good. But, from what I can tell, they lack the combination of two critical features that OneNote has:
  1. The ability to store everything in one huge, searchable archive. Consider a situation where you're asked a question about "beta thalassemia." You know you have info about that, but you can't remember whether it's from a lecture, a textbook, or a journal article. If you have your stuff stored in OneNote or Evernote, all you have to do is search.
  2. The ability to access your notes on any platform. I want to take notes on my 10-inch tablet, but I want to study them on my dual 27-inch monitors at home. Or on my phone when I'm waiting in a checkout line. Or on my laptop when I have to RMA my tablet. And I don't want the extra hassle of sending everything to Evernote.
Looking at iAnnotate specifically, it seems to have a global search feature, but it's not clear whether it searches all kinds of files thoroughly and supports OCR. Are you a user who could enlighten us?

One idea that comes to me is to sync everything in Google Drive with an app like iAnnotate and then utilize Google Drive's search feature when not using the tablet. The interface is less conducive to organizing notes than OneNote, and apparently the OCR support has limitations (See here: https://support.google.com/drive/answer/176692?hl=en). But a cheap Android tablet with this setup may be worth considering for people on a tight budget. (Probably still not the Note 10.1, since for that price an iPad or decent Windows tablet can be had.)

OneNote is fully functional (and free!) on Mac OS Mavericks now, so I would assume it's coming to iOS 7 pretty soon as well. I think there is a limited app available now.

OneNote is fully functional (and free!) on Mac OS Mavericks now, so I would assume it's coming to iOS 7 pretty soon as well. I think there is a limited app available now.

It's not fully functional. See this article: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/0...is-a-preview-of-the-next-office-for-mac-apps/

From the article:

Here's a list of what you can do in OneNote 2013 that you can't do in OneNote for Mac:
  • Insert file attachments, online images, or images directly from scanners
  • Insert recorded audio or video
  • Insert symbols or equations
  • View detailed information on revisions and what users those revisions were made by
  • Use drawing tools
  • Send screen captures or text clips to OneNote through the "Send to OneNote" add-on
  • Save or open local files
  • Print
It's a step in the right direction, but it's still up in the air whether the Mac version and its mobile counterparts will ever be 100% functional.

Anyone else have an opinion on these choices? I will soon be making a similar decision.

any of above devices will do well, the question is what else you would like to do with the tab. i would choose ipad air.

You totally need an active digitizer and OneNote. I have the Vaio Flip...check out my notes.

ehhHaye.png

Wklnc3f.png
y9r4RYH.png
wif1g3T.png

http://imgur.com/a/5kHI6#0

Last edited:
Give Notability a try if you go iPad, it has always served me well for annotation, free hand, recording voice onto lecture handouts, etc. Not sure if it meets all the needs you've described, but it's worth a look.

What about Evernote? It seemlessly sinks between whatever devices you have and allows note taking via stylus.
The extra apps and additions also makes it worlds better than one note IMO.

Quick update: The Lenovo Thinkpad 10 Tablet and Microsoft Surface Pro 3 have both been announced, and both look like great options.

http://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo-thinkpad-10/
http://www.cnet.com/products/microsoft-surface-pro-3/

Of note:
  • The Thinkpad 10 will start at $599 and has the latest generation Atom processor
  • The Surface Pro 3 starts at $799 and has different processor options ranging from i3 to i7.
  • The Surface Pro 3 has a 12-inch display.
  • The Surface Pro 3 has an adjustable kickstand and can be used at any angle.
That last bullet point is actually really big for me, and may be the tipping point for me. I'll update when there's more info about either.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about Evernote? It seemlessly sinks between whatever devices you have and allows note taking via stylus.
The extra apps and additions also makes it worlds better than one note IMO.

Evernote is a great app. I use it all the time for general notes, sharing audio recordings, shopping lists and other things. But it's not the best for taking class notes because, among other disadvantages, you cannot use it to annotate Powerpoints or PDFs. You can store those files in Evernote, but when you click the links they'll open with an external app. Consequently, OneNote is better for its ability to shove everything you might need into it like a giant backpack that weighs nothing. iAnnotate and other apps are probably better for notes as well, although I haven't personally used them.

I'm thinking Surface Pro 3 also. For me, it could be essentially a laptop replacement, which would be nice. A couple questions though:

(1) I'm mainly concerned with seamless interface. Could I set up OneNote to sync with another computer? i.e., lets say I have a desktop, could I take notes on the tablet all day, then go home and study on the desktop without jumping through a bunch of hoops?

(2) Can you run Surface Pro 3 with additional screens without purchasing the docking station?

(3) Is it Anki-compatible? and could Anki sync up with my Anki on my iPhone?

I am planning on stopping by a microsoft store this weekend, so if no one knows I'll post what they say

(3) Is it Anki-compatible? and could Anki sync up with my Anki on my iPhone?

The Surface Pro 3, Pro 2, and the Lenovo devices I mentioned run full Windows 8, just like your laptop. Therefore the answer to "Will it run Windows desktop app X?" is always yes. The only discrepancy is that a lot of apps don't have a touch-optimized interface yet, so you may have to use the trackpad or a mouse.

In my experience, one note is great for creating new notes, but subpar when it comes to annotating PDFs. The PDF annotating apps on iOS are much better than one note at importing PDF files while still keeping the file size small. People always think "oh, it will be great to have full Windows on my tablet", but you honestly don't need it if you think about the things you do on a daily basis. Mobile operating systems are also much quicker than Windows when it comes to daily activities, which does make a big difference.

In my experience, one note is great for creating new notes, but subpar when it comes to annotating PDFs. The PDF annotating apps on iOS are much better than one note at importing PDF files while still keeping the file size small. People always think "oh, it will be great to have full Windows on my tablet", but you honestly don't need it if you think about the things you do on a daily basis. Mobile operating systems are also much quicker than Windows when it comes to daily activities, which does make a big difference.

Great to see an alternate opinion on this thread. What annotation app do you use? Does it handle OCR well and allow you to scan in documents with the camera? Posting a sample of your notes would be amazing also. I'd really like to justify picking an iPad or Android tab, but right now am definitely leaning toward Windows.

Sidenote: I'm almost done with a rather large update to the original thread that includes more devices and considerations. I'm abroad right now but it should be up within a week.

3. Anki syncs, free for android. What do you mean by anki being compatible with onenote?
Anki would have to be run on Windows 8 apparently (Surface pro doesn't use android software), and i believe it would be on the desktop version. I meant Anki being compatible across Windows 8 OS and Mac (my iPhone). I.e., could I create a stack of cards on my tablet one day and review it on my iPhone the next?

Anki would have to be run on Windows 8 apparently (Surface pro doesn't use android software), and i believe it would be on the desktop version. I meant Anki being compatible across Windows 8 OS and Mac (my iPhone). I.e., could I create a stack of cards on my tablet one day and review it on my iPhone the next?

Anki has a cloud service called AnkiWeb. You can use it to sync across devices and even study your cards using the web interface if you can't download the software.

What about the note pro 12.2 ? It seems to be very effective on note taking . I was thinking about buying it or an ipad air with a stylus , my doubts rely on the google play app store. Since i`m only starting med school i`m not sure if google has all the important apps and how safe it is to buy things there (seems like it has a lot malware from what i heard)

What about the note pro 12.2 ? It seems to be very effective on note taking . I was thinking about buying it or an ipad air with a stylus , my doubts rely on the google play app store. Since i`m only starting med school i`m not sure if google has all the important apps and how safe it is to buy things there (seems like it has a lot malware from what i heard)

Just make sure whatever OS you go with has a good app for annotating PDFs, as that will be the primary thing you do during your first 2 years (S Note is not a good app for this). IOS has plenty; I can't comment on android.

Reactions: 1 user

The question is why you'd choose this $750 Android tab over the Thinkpad 10 or the Surface Pro 3. I am currently investigating more options for Android notetaking, but so far I can't find a compelling reason to choose one of these devices.

I posted a substantial update to the original post.

I also just noticed that Papers has updated their iOS app, and it looks good: http://www.papersapp.com/ios/

Definitely points in the iPad's favor, especially since the app can be used to annotate Powerpoints in addition to PDFs. I believe it would still require an additional app when taking notes from scratch is necessary, however.

The fact that Papers is specifically designed for and by science professionals makes me really want to use it. Still not sold on iOS over Windows, though.

Edit: Based on reviews and the developer website, it seems like the iOS app is currently troubled and doesn't sync with the Windows version.

Last edited:
Have you looked at Mendeley vs Papers? I've been using Mendeley for years, haven't found a justification for paying for Papers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you looked at Mendeley vs Papers? I've been using Mendeley for years, haven't found a justification for paying for Papers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just started looking into Mendeley recently. I plan to activate the Papers trial and use both side by side to see which is better.

Bah, i would love getting my hands on a surface pro 3 or a thinkpad 10, unfortunately those are not sold in my country and importing them would make for too much cost and trouble. However i am looking forward for your thoughts on the sony vaio fit (multi flip), those are actually about the same price as the note pro 12.2. Word is that the vaio battery life isn`t that great, arround 6 hours might not be enough for a my daily use. 8 hours would probably do. Well , i will have to make a decision soon, hope i get to see your comments on the vaio. Thanks for all the info so far man!

Pretty sure the Surface Pro 2 has the same gen 4-i5chips as the Surface Pro 3 (but the pro3 also offers i3 and i7). And it's only $100 less on a per spec comparison. But anyways, bumping this since Surface Pro 2 comes out today.

Last edited:
I spent some time with the Surface Pro 3 at a MS store. I really like the aesthetics of the device. The screen was great, and the TypeCover keyboard felt good compared to my wife's Asus Transformerbook. I didn't slow my typing much and didn't feel I was making an abnormal amount of errors.

It's easy to hook the tablet up to a monitor. It's possible to hook it up to two monitors, but that requires the $200 docking station. They recommended at least the $1300 8gb i5 version if I were to run two monitors with many Chrome tabs, OneNote, and Anki running together.

Now here's the potential dealbreaker: the camera is awful. I had planned to scan handouts directly into OneNote and take pics of board notes. The Surface Pro 3's camera fails miserably at these tasks. It can take a clear picture of a distant board with large fonts, and that's all. The focus on the camera cannot be changed and this is a hardware limitation that can't be patched.

The workaround is to take pics with a phone, sync it to OneDrive, and insert the pics into OneNote from OneDrive. It's not terrible, but I don't see myself doing that during a lecture. Also, I feel I shouldn't have to do that with a $1300 device. I suppose business users don't care about the camera, but it would be nice if it wasn't worse than the phone I was using 5 years ago.

Overall, it's a good device. Is it worth $1600+ to get the setup I want? For that money I could get a functional $200 tablet and spend the remainder on an awesome standing desk, or a great ergonomic chair and a couple 4k monitors, or a round trip ticket to anywhere.

Next, I plan to look at the Note Pro. I don't expect to like it, but I could be surprised. If not, I may go with one of the cheaper Windows tablet options.

I found this deal and decided to jump on it before Best Buy wises up. I had no trouble getting the clerk to stack the coupons for me. I'll put the device through its paces and return it if I can't justify the cost.

I'm looking into using an app called PushBullet to solve the problem of easily moving pics from phone to tablet.

I checked out the Galaxy Note Pro. Its camera had no trouble focusing on fine text and capturing readable photos, so it beats the Surface in that respect. It seems like a decent notetaking device in general. But when I started talking about compatibility with different projectors, monitors, Miracast, etc. I got blank stares. My impression is that it'd serve a med student's needs with respect to notetaking pretty well. But for presentations and other tasks, you'd likely have to back it up with a laptop. Combined with my own personal bias against Samsung, I didn't spend very long with this device.

I found this deal and decided to jump on it before Best Buy wises up. I had no trouble getting the clerk to stack the coupons for me. I'll put the device through its paces and return it if I can't justify the cost.

I'm looking into using an app called PushBullet to solve the problem of easily moving pics from phone to tablet.

I checked out the Galaxy Note Pro. Its camera had no trouble focusing on fine text and capturing readable photos, so it beats the Surface in that respect. It seems like a decent notetaking device in general. But when I started talking about compatibility with different projectors, monitors, Miracast, etc. I got blank stares. My impression is that it'd serve a med student's needs with respect to notetaking pretty well. But for presentations and other tasks, you'd likely have to back it up with a laptop. Combined with my own personal bias against Samsung, I didn't spend very long with this device.

Hey, Neurophage, couldn't help but follow your journey through the world of choices of tablets. Thanks for your very thorough research and arguments on all sides. I've kind of been where you were, stuck between wanting the SP3 (but dreading the cost), and examining the cheaper options (perhaps a bit more "mobile"?) options presented by Android. Hope you could shed some light on a few questions for a fellow MS1.

1) What are your thoughts on the Surface now that you've had a good amount of time with it? Any regrets?

2) I haven't had the opportunity to handle the Surface myself yet; does it feel at all bulky or difficult to carry around?

3) How were you able to get the coupons to stack since it would appear they don't work online? Simply call in, or did you physically go to the store to take advantage of it? Or did you merely do everything online?

4) Which Surface did you end up getting (specs)?

I've been on the fence for a while now (no where near as long as you), but I'm getting slightly anxious and just want to be done with the process and get a tablet. I have a desktop I built and a laptop, but this laptop is already 4 years old and is starting to show its age. The Surface looks awesome, and I'd love to hear your opinion. Thanks!

1. I haven't had it long but it's generally good. It gets hot on the right side sometimes, which bugs me when I hold it like a tablet. But it's actually cooler than a laptop when used on a lap, because the hot part of the device isn't in contact with the lap. The weightlessness and floppy feeling of the keyboard will take getting used to, but I like it more than I thought I would. It feels sort of felt like to the touch, which is weird. Makes me wonder if it'll be hard to clean.

2. Not difficult to carry around. A little cumbersome to hold like a tablet for long periods of time without resting it on something. The kickstand helps with that.

3. The mover's coupons only work in store. I had no trouble getting the salesman to stack the coupons for me. Some people on Slickdeals reported being refused. If that happens, do some social engineering or just go to a different Best Buy and try again.

4. I got the i5 with 8gb of RAM - which is overkill unless you want it to power two high resolution monitors while multitasking.

I'll update when I have more to say. Good luck.

Hey @Neurophage, can you do a quick look at the Nvidia Shield Tablet? It's currently my first choice, but I'm curious how it stacks up.

I don't need a desktop replacement, but something I can carry around throughout the day.

Hey @Neurophage, can you do a quick look at the Nvidia Shield Tablet? It's currently my first choice, but I'm curious how it stacks up.

I don't need a desktop replacement, but something I can carry around throughout the day.

It has a passive stylus. The reviews say it's a pretty good passive stylus but it won't compare to a good active one. It also has mediocre battery life. If you find a great deal it's not a terrible device, but at $200 for the 16gb model I'd probably grab the Lenovo Thinkpad 2 Tablet for a little more instead.

What about the new Hp Pavilion 360? Have you research it?

@type 12:
If you are not willing to drop a bundle on a SP3 (tuition fee anxiety anyone?), or unsure of whether you will like note taking on a tablet, another low cost, Windows-based option is to pick up a used Dell Latitude 10 ST2 (but not the ST2E version) on the bay. You should be able to get a lightly used one with a few accessories (docking station, cover keyboard) for around 200; the battery will outlast most if not all of what is currently on the market (you can also get the extended 60W battery -- yes, the ST2 line has replaceable batteries -- for about $60 which should you give you almost 2 days worth of juice), and try things out. The ST2 (and ST2 enhanced security) were the business line of Dell tablets, and are being dumped on the market now because, well, among other reasons, there is bigger and shinier stuff around... Not pretty or latest generation, but it will be more than sufficient for note taking with OneNote. I reiterate that the ST2E "consumer version" is not the correct one: no active digitizer functionality, nor a replaceable battery. I like the SP3 far better for both aesthetic and functional reasons, but I couldn't justify the price tag.

@type 12:
If you are not willing to drop a bundle on a SP3 (tuition fee anxiety anyone?), or unsure of whether you will like note taking on a tablet, another low cost, Windows-based option is to pick up a used Dell Latitude 10 ST2 (but not the ST2E version) on the bay. You should be able to get a lightly used one with a few accessories (docking station, cover keyboard) for around 200; the battery will outlast most if not all of what is currently on the market (you can also get the extended 60W battery -- yes, the ST2 line has replaceable batteries -- for about $60 which should you give you almost 2 days worth of juice), and try things out. The ST2 (and ST2 enhanced security) were the business line of Dell tablets, and are being dumped on the market now because, well, among other reasons, there is bigger and shinier stuff around... Not pretty or latest generation, but it will be more than sufficient for note taking with OneNote. I reiterate that the ST2E "consumer version" is not the correct one: no active digitizer functionality, nor a replaceable battery. I like the SP3 far better for both aesthetic and functional reasons, but I couldn't justify the price tag.

I looked it over - not a bad option. It looks to be the rough equivalent of the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2, but a little heavier. I would hesitate to buy a used Windows tablet unless you can get a Squaretrade warranty on it and are comfortable doing some light troubleshooting yourself.

Due to the slow CPU, I would have low expectations regarding using the dock with external monitors. But for notetaking, patient education, etc. I think it would be a fine choice.

Hi,

I like gadgets. I especially like ones that enhance my life. I've been researching the current "best" notetaking setup in preparation for starting med school in August. I use the quotes to acknowledge that there will always be people who like to take paper notes or find a regular laptop sufficient - but this thread isn't for them. I want to share my findings and see if anyone has thought of anything I'm missing.

These were my criteria in narrowing down the possibilities:
  • Must include a stylus for drawing diagrams and handwriting when convenient
  • Notes must be fully searchable, including OCR
  • Battery life should be as high as possible
  • Device should be as light as possible
  • Screen should be at least ~10 inches
These are the main possibilities I've come up with:

Surface Pro 3

This new tablet is designed to replace laptops. It has laptop hardware in tablet package. It has a adjustable kickstand that some users may find awkward on their lap.

Highlights
  • $800 and up + $130 for Type keyboard, possible 10% student discount
  • 12-inch screen
  • 1.7lb
  • 7.5 hour battery life

Choose if:
  • You want a bigger screen.
  • You want a complete laptop replacement.
  • You want to be able to position the screen at any angle when docked to the keyboard.
  • You want one of the i7 models that packs a lot more power than other tablets ($1,549)

Avoid if:
  • The extra size and weight bother you.
  • You’re on a tight budget.
  • You like to study in areas with no wifi, since the Surface lacks 3G/4G.
  • You want to hold it in tablet mode and watch videos - it can run hot.

Thinkpad 10 Tablet

There are no thorough reviews at the time of this writing, but this appears to be an incremental update to the Thinkpad Tablet 2. The CPU is lower powered than the Surface, but it should be more than sufficient for any med school related activity. I expect the battery life to beat the Surface significantly.

Highlights
  • $600 + $130 for keyboard
  • 10.1-inch screen
  • 1.3 lb
  • Not officially released and hasn’t been thoroughly reviewed yet.

Choose if:
  • You want a lightweight 10-inch Windows tablet that is probably more comfortable to hold tablet-style than a Surface
  • You want a Windows tablet with 4G
  • You don’t want to spend the extra $200 or more on a Surface

Avoid if:
  • You do a lot of CPU-hungry tasks, since the Atom is a low-power CPU.
  • The fixed angle when docked to the keyboard bothers you.

Thinkpad 2 Tablet

This tablet from Lenovo has an older generation, low-power Atom CPU, but it will still get the job done. If you’re on a budget and don’t plan to use your tablet for games or other CPU-intensive tasks, strongly consider this tablet.

Highlights
  • $266 + $120 keyboard (price may drop after the release of the Thinkpad 10)
  • ~8-9 hour battery life
  • Wacom active digitizer (good stylus)
  • Older generation Atom CPU (a lot slower than current gen i5)
  • 10.1 inch screen
  • 1.3lb without keyboard

Choose if:
  • You’re on a tight budget and want a Windows tablet

Avoid if:
  • You want to use your tablet just like a laptop with no slowdowns

Sony VAIO Flip 14 (and other Sony hybrids)

These are not tablets; they're laptops with touch screen functionality. If you don't like tablets but want to use a stylus, these are worth a look. I plan to evaluate Sony's machines in more detail and will update this guide at that time.

Choose if:
  • You prefer laptops to tablets but want stylus functionality
  • You plan to type on your lap frequently
  • You want a big screen
  • You have big hands or don’t like small keyboards

Avoid if:
  • You want to hold your device in one hand while taking notes with a stylus
  • Carrying a 4.2lb device would bother you
  • You study in areas with no wifi and need 4G

iPad Air

You already know what this is. In my opinion it’s more geared toward entertainment than productivity, but Apple’s device does carry some advantages over Windows tablets: It has a high-quality warranty and customer service, holds resale/trade in value well, has the highest overall build quality, and has access to iOS-only apps that may be useful to a med student.
  • $499 and up + $70-100 keyboard + variable cost of stylus
  • 11+ hour battery life
  • 9.7 inch screen
  • 1lb without keyboard
  • No active digitizer (imprecise stylus)

Choose if:
  • You want the highest pixel density
  • You want something very light and slim
  • You want the best battery life
  • You have a laptop and don’t mind carrying both devices sometimes
  • You like to upgrade frequently
  • Warranty quality/good tech support are important to you
  • You want access to apps that are available on iOS but not Windows

Avoid if:
  • You want to use OneNote (may become functional with future updates)
  • You like multitasking
  • You want to use Windows apps like Papers on your tablet
  • You want to avoid jailbreaking and associated headaches

Cheap Android tablets:

If I were to generally become a fanboy of one platform over another, I’d be in Google’s camp. But I am hard pressed to find a compelling reason to choose an Android tablet over other platforms for medical school. Android tablets carry all of the disadvantages of iPads, plus some extras. Samsung produces some tablets that are specifically designed for notetaking and have active digitizers, but at their price point I couldn’t find any reason to choose them over a high quality Windows tablet. I think a cheap Android tablet could be useful to a student on a tight budget who can’t afford another touchscreen device - but if something else is available, skip this option. (That being said, I am still actively looking for a good notetaking setup on Android.)

Choose if:
  • You’re on a VERY tight budget
  • You already have a laptop and don’t mind carrying both devices sometimes
  • You tend to lose or break stuff and don’t want to worry about an expensive device
  • You love Google Now and other Google services and want them tightly integrated into your tablet

Avoid if:
  • You want excellent build quality
  • You want to use OneNote
  • You like multitasking
  • A limited selection of apps compared to Windows and iOS bothers you
See https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx...!107&app=Excel&wdo=2&authkey=!AAO1lowxloMJjhM for a useful comparison of stylus-enabled Windows 8 devices. I ruled out most of the ones that look great on that spreadsheet due to either subpar battery life or prohibitive cost for what they offer.

Additional Considerations

Windows 8 vs. iPad

Advantages of Windows 8:
  • The main point tipping me toward Windows 8 is OneNote. In undergrad, I had a big heavy hybrid tablet that I used to insert PDFs and Powerpoints into OneNote and then annotate them. The best part was that I could search all of my notes and handouts as well as every paper I'd stored in OneNote at once. This guy has a video that shows how he does it in med school: http://www.dysgraphicmusings.com/2013/11/how-to-study-in-medical-school.html My research indicates that to get the same functionality out of an iPad, you'd have to use a separate program to annotate things and then send them to Evernote or OneNote. It's doable, but it's extra work.
  • The active digitizers in the Windows tablets mentioned here are reported to be far superior to any stylus available for the iPad.
  • Full Windows 8 tablets can run any Windows app and do everything a laptop with the same specs can do.

Advantages of iPad:
  • Better build quality
  • Better warranty
  • Lighter
  • Better battery life.
  • They hold their resale/trade in value well.
  • Much wider variety of accessories available.
  • Some interesting medical apps that are not available for Windows.
Note: Microsoft has been actively developing OneNote for iPad, and it may be fully functional in the future.

Papers
Papers is an awesome app for OSX and Windows that organizes peer-reviewed material you've collected for easy searching, generating citations, and annotation. When I graduate med school and the training wheels come off, this is what I want to use. I have a lot of articles from undergrad stored in OneNote and it will be a tedious process to move them over to Papers. This is pertinent to the topic at hand because one could run Papers on a Windows tablet, saving the effort of moving them later. I am also looking into the possibility of using an iOS or Android annotation app and then importing annotated PDFs into Papers at a later date.

The Verdict
Currently, I'm torn between the Surface Pro 3 and Thinkpad 10. I plan to make a final push to find a good notetaking setup for Android and will probably make my decision in mid August.

So there you have it. I left a lot of info out of this simple guide for the sake of brevity. If you post ideas for alternate setups, I'll research them and/or post my critique.
Legal pad

@type 12:
Thanks! Not going to lie: was hoping to hit two birds with one stone. I have over $200 in google play store credit (earned, not purchased), and was considering if I could get a tablet that lets me use that credit rather than let it expire whilst having a tablet.

It really does look like iPad or Windows are better options, both because of the software and hardware.

Now that I've had a little time with the SP3:

Good
  • Screen is very nice looking and bright compared to cheaper tablets.
  • 12-inch screen and keyboard are significant advantages compared to 10-inch tablets.
  • Typing on the Type Cover feels more natural than other tablet keyboards I've tried.
  • Speed meets my expectations for an i5 device, can even do some light gaming.
  • The kickstand makes it easy to use the tablet in various different places.
  • My med school's IT department mandates a laptop with an i5 CPU minimum - probably a meritless requirement, but nice to know this tablet meets any technical requirements a school could throw out.
Bad
  • Don't like the felt-like material of the keyboard. Go into a store and touch it yourself before buying.
  • Some other tablet keyboards have stiff hinges like a laptop's, while the Type Cover flops around if you don't support it.
  • The device is light, but the large size makes it awkward to hold like a tablet for long periods.
  • Installing F.lux caused freezes. Can fix it now by installing Intel's stock drivers (but that saps battery life). Should be fixed in a future graphics driver update.
  • I've had to restart due to unexplained glitches a few times.
  • Reports of display issues associated with scaling to external monitors - plan to test tomorrow.

The current bottom line
  • It's a very nice device that is quite noticeably better than lower-end Windows tablets.
  • I wouldn't ever feel the need to carry both the SP3 and my laptop.
  • Some hospitals are adopting the SP3 for their physicians. I could see myself using a device like this in the future. The kickstand and nice screen could be great for patient communication, and it's laptop-like enough for productivity.
  • For the current cost, the SP3 is not a good value, especially for people who already own a laptop and/or desktop.
  • If time wasn't a factor, I'd wait until this device had experienced its growing pains and try it again. If it's priced like the BMW of tablets, it should behave as such.

I have not extensively tested the stylus or tested for compatibility quirks with Papers/Mendeley yet. I plan to go to Best Buy and test it with several different external monitors tomorrow. I don't know if I'll keep this device. I'll probably do a last-minute check for cheaper Windows tabs around 12 inches and then make a decision. If I do keep it, I admit that part of my motivation will be the irrational desire to own a cool gadget.

Reactions: 1 users
Tested monitors today. Results:
  • 23" and 24" 1080p displays plugged in via MiniDisplayPort-to-HDMI worked fine - text does not appear fuzzy.
  • My 42" 1080p TV at home looks terrible as an external display. Fonts look fuzzy. This is due to a Windows display scaling issue. Can be fixed by changing a Windows 8.1 setting, but doing so makes everything on the SP3 look tiny.
  • Best Buy had no 1440p monitors for me to test. From what I've read, using these with a SP3 only works reliably if the monitor has a DisplayPort input (so no cheap Korean DVI-D displays).
  • I didn't test any 27" 1080p monitors. It's not clear whether they'd have the same fuzzy text issue as my TV.
TL;DR: Stick to smaller monitors with the SP3, or maybe get a 27" 1440p with DisplayPort.

I updated the original post. Now that I've settled on my device, I don't plan to make additional updates to it. I'll still try to answer questions.