best surgeries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maybeortho

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know everyone will have their own opinions, but are there any procedures that most people seem to really like? Also, how long does it take to do these? For example, I heard that spine cases can take a while, but don't know how long exactly. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I am also wondering about this topic as Spine is the fellowship i would like to complete after my ortho resedency. Are most spine cases particularly long or what s the average sugery time.

I am by no means an expert or any kind of authority on this, but I did a fair number of spine cases when I was a scrub tech, and a few as a med student, so I can give at least a limited perspective on the length of the procedures. My answer is this: it's variable. This doesn't convey much, but it really depends on what the procedure actually entails. Are you just doing a lami? Are you putting in plates and screws or grafts? Are you doing a lateral thoracotomy approach to do a multi-level fusion and grafting (these can take 8 hours!)? The more straightforward lamis, even with plates and screws can take about 2-3 hours, whereas the more complicated stuff--i.e., multi-level or oncology--can take all day.

As far as favorite procedures, if we're being limited to ortho (since I'm going into GS, obviously the ortho cases weren't my favorite), I'd have to say the TKAs were my favs. I felt very comfortable retracting and hammering in pins.