Best study materials and tips to get nbde1 score 90

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Juccy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to everyone!
I am new here. I've tried to find some information concerning nbde1 without starting a new thread, but time is running and I start being nervous because I still can't decide which books should I buy, so I am sorry for making a new thread on the topic that has been discussed many times, but i REALLY NEED YOUR HELP,guys..
Shortly: I am a FTD, just graduated from the outside of the states and going to take nbde1. I have :

First aid for the nbde part1 ( Derek M.Steinbacher)
and Mosby's Rewiev for the nbde part 1.
What else would you reccomend me to buy?
Dental desks on www.deckscorp.com?
Released exams on asdanet.org?
So ppl on SDN recommended USMLE First Aid and Dental Board Busters book.
I am lost...Please help me!:xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Hello to everyone!
I am new here. I've tried to find some information concerning nbde1 without starting a new thread, but time is running and I start being nervous because I still can't decide which books should I buy, so I am sorry for making a new thread on the topic that has been discussed many times, but i REALLY NEED YOUR HELP,guys..
Shortly: I am a FTD, just graduated from the outside of the states and going to take nbde1. I have :

Hi,
If you think you are going to cover all the above given materials and ACE them, you will need more than just 6 months. Dental Decks is a must. Released exams on the ASDA is another must. The other sources are up to you. You would find First Aid and Mosby in book stores and you probably could check and see which one you feel is better. Dental busters, USMLE, etc are your choice. Maybe if you start off with the essentials you might have an idea as to what areas you have to concentrate.
GOOD LUCK.:thumbup:

Pandu, thank's for reply.
I have about 3 months...Started to study First aid, but don't know if it is good or not. I read a lot of different information about prep.materials and couldn't decide which one I should buy... Lot's of ppl spent aprox.2-3 months or even less for the preparation. They used a lot of sourses and got great scores, so I wanted to try too.

hello,

so far you are a FTD + newly graduated + about 3 months plan

there are things that you must have and others that depend on you

MUST:
1- main source: decks can be enough alone but they are not organized in a systematic way and scheduals which i think makes life easier, first aid is perfect but not alone, there will be many things that you need to expand into in other sources
i may suggest you complete reading everything from first aid and whenever you didnt understand anything you can refer to kaplan notes (not availabe by stores but can download it from net, alomst 1000 pages) except for 3 parts: micro, anatomy, and dental anatomy. Micro and anatomy is too condensed to read from first aid for the first time so go for kaplan only to understand and you will find similar info but in an easier way. DA is deficient in first aid especially in occlusion and function (you will know what i mean when you solve exams), so i prefer you go for decks for this part. But remeber to keep kaplan as a REFERENCE ONLY since it is lengthy in some parts to the extent that you dont need all these info, but in BIO you definitely need all kaplan details esp in meatbloism and genetics.

2- released exams: must solve to know how exam looks like

MAY:
other sources for reference as wikipedia, dictionaries, wheelers DA...etc
it is up to you

note: what i have just mentioned should be a good prep but not necessarily a 90 Prep materials:)

best luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much,Ninety! I started to panic already and your message's calmed me down...
I spent almost 3 days in front of the computer trying to collect information about prep.to nbde1, but as more I read as more confused and nervous I become..:-(
I started to read anatomy from first aid nbde1 and it seems to be too condensed..too many charts.I feel like I read but I can't remember anything which makes me more and more depressed:-(
You mentioned kaplan notes.I can just google it up and download?
thank you!

hi,when u are planing to give exam? from which place u belong??
Hello to everyone!

exactly, there are many upload sites where you can get kaplan notes from

and may i ask you to pray for me since i am waiting for my grade :(

Good luck with your grade! Don't worry, I feel like you have studied very carefully.You are going to have a very high grade!When aprox. are you going to get your score?
About kaplan notes....Did you ment medical kaplan for physicians not dentists?
If not, could you please give me a link.Thank you!
P.S I'll keep cross fingers for you.

Ninety, when you said "kaplan notes", did you mean USMLE step1 kaplan lecture notes?

it is Kaplan Lecture Notes-Step1

now i am traveling so will tell you more details later

1) NBDE Part 1 Guide
The first helpful study resource is the NBDE Part 1 Guide which is a list of topics that will be covered on the exam. It also shows the number of questions for each topic. Go to http://www.ada.org/2667.aspx and then click the link for the PDF file of the NBDE part 1 guide.

2) Dental Decks
For most people, Dental Decks is the best study tool for boards. The flashcards are great for studying on the go or during your lunchbreak in between classes. Most of the information is accurate. The Decks let you know what areas you are weak in and then give you concise answers for what you didnt know before (or forgot).

3) Class Materials
I think class materials are just as helpful as Dental Decks, because they have a high level of detail and the information is more organized than in the Dental Decks.

4) Review Books
I highly recommend Lange Microbiology Immunology Review as well as BRS Gross Anatomy Review. It's good to check customer reviews for the review books before buying one. The good review books are well worth your money. Some review books have websites with practice tests, which I found to be very helpful.
I can't comment on released practice tests because I didnt get around to using them. I also didnt get around to using Q bank that much. Getting the concepts down is much more important than memorizing test answers. If the questions are stumping you, then you know you have to go back to your study materials.

5) Balance
Dont forget to exercise daily, eat healthy, drink water, and spend time with family and friends. If you stay balanced, you won't get burned out as fast. I would recommend going to bed around 10pm and waking up by 4 or 5am as opposed to going to bed late and sleeping in.

Hope all this helps. Good Luck!!
(I scored 89)

hiee evry1...m frm india nd finshd wth my intrnshp...wud b goin 2 us soon....wantd 2 knw whens d best time 2 giv d xam??when xactly do schools call fr interviews???nd dnt knw y bt realy scard 2 take up ths xam....sorry nt tryin 2 scare peopl here....bt since thers only 1 attmpt its realy freakin me a lot....nd then i hrd frm 2012 its jas pass/fail....is ths true??hw is it possibl??i mean.....on wht basis wud admissns b done if thers no score????????????

Is there a way to find out your raw score without doing a score audit and paying the money if you passed?