Technology Best Smartphone for medical students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you don't feel like pulling out your cell phone all day in a hospital setting, a PDA is a good idea. I bought a refurbished HP Ipaq 110 online for $115 a few months back. I love it, right now I have Epocrates, Dynamed and Pocket Consult on there (3 fantastic free programs). There are tons of other great med programs for it also since it uses Windows Mobile. I was thinking about buying 5 Minute Clinical Consult since I have heard many good things from some residents I know. It has wi-fi and I am able to use the wi-fi at my school on it for internet as well.

I also have a smartphone that I initially used, but I got really crazy and would disinfect it like 25 times a day. My PDA is strictly for use on the floor so I don't really care as much.
I also agree with this. Honestly, the only program a med student is likely to use with any degree of regularity is epocrates. The fact that epocrates loads up so quickly on palm pilots makes it worth it, imo.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump for info.

I'm fighting between the BB Bold and the iPhone. I have to stay with AT&T so those are the 2 best options for me due to the fact that they have WiFi capability. Does anybody have any comparisons between these 2 phones. I am an incoming MS1 and need some type of new phone as mine is on its last legs. Thanks.

From what I see, while Palms still have a large majority of medical software, they are on their way out and are being replaced by iPhones/iPod Touches. I do some tech stuff on the side for classmates at my school (some upperclassmen included), and I've found that the are rapidly adopting the iPhone as their platform of choice. Plus, since Palm has effectively killed off the Palm OS, it makes little sense to spend more time investing in new apps for that platform.

What's probably lacking on the iPhone App Store right now are quality apps. There's just a lot of crud out there, and what IS good costs a LOT of money (though I don't actually know how much Palm apps cost). It is interesting what they are asking for students to pay for some of this stuff...

and now on july 2010 i face the similar q

i want to buy a phone that will last with me at least 4 years

what is the best operating system ?

i phone

android

windows 7

i know it is still early for windows phone 7 but if it worth it i will wait

currently i have htc hd with windows mobile 6.1

its big proplem is that sometimes it became very slow that i have to ignore it and that is not nice especially when ur in the clinic and u need the information fast

Bump for info.

I'm fighting between the BB Bold and the iPhone. I have to stay with AT&T so those are the 2 best options for me due to the fact that they have WiFi capability. Does anybody have any comparisons between these 2 phones. I am an incoming MS1 and need some type of new phone as mine is on its last legs. Thanks.

I just bought a Blackberry Bold after my old curve got wet and broke. I love it. It's a HUGE improvement over my old Curve. Much faster due to increased RAM and more features. They've really improved the OS. Plus, I like the rubberized keys and the new track pad. The new screens are high resolution.

I decided on a second BlackBerry because I hate typing on touchscreens. I'm really fast on the Bold. :) Epocrates is really the only medical app you need and it's available. As always, I find e-mail and messaging with a BlackBerry to be superior. I guess that's personal preference though.

iPhone and BlackBerry are two very different devices. I guess it's deciding what feels best to you.

Last edited:
Two years is probably more realistic.

webOS. Needs more apps, though.

Even Steve Wozniak suggests buying a Pre. :)

http://www.webosroundup.com/2010/07...utm_campaign=Feed:+webosroundup+(webOSroundup)

ok i will make it 2 years for ur eyes :D

palm pre is a nice choice but not for me

small screen , with keyboard , not available in my country , does not support my native language

i understood that u have i pad and u r happy with it so why choose the palm pre over the i phone???

Agreed. The cycles are so short these days that 4 years is just unrealistic.

ok ok guys. 2 years its for ur eyes :)
what is ur phone by the way???

I just bought a Blackberry Bold after my old curve got wet and broke. I love it. It's a HUGE improvement over my old Curve. Much faster due to increased RAM and more features. They've really improved the OS. Plus, I like the rubberized keys and the new track pad. The new screens are high resolution.

I decided on a second BlackBerry because I hate typing on touchscreens. I'm really fast on the Bold. :) Epocrates is really the only medical app you need and it's available. As always, I find e-mail and messaging with a BlackBerry to be superior. I guess that's personal preference though.

iPhone and BlackBerry are two very different devices. I guess it's deciding what feels best to you.

thx for the info. BUT blackberry is not for me , small screen and keyboard

so currently for me it is

Android VS iphone

android top 3 in my country are :
samsung galaxy s
nexus one
htc desire

after squeezing my brain the end battle is

galaxy s vs iphone

what i like about the iphone is the excellent free medical app

for example

AHRQ ePSS

Top 10 Free iPhone Medical Apps for Health care Professionals

some of them only available on the iphone and some are better on the iphone

this one also is very nice

VisualDx Mobile

also this is important for family and internal medicine

http://statcoder.com/

including

Framingham Heart Age

well my diagnosis is iphone is number ##1## in the medical application in terms of availability , easy practical use etc

any one want to challenge my diagnosis ??:)

waiting for ur input guys

Sounds like you should get an iPhone.

Definitely. Seems like that's what you want to do.

guys guys ....

what i want to buy really is the android and the galaxy s
i like the idea of the android , open source operating system u can control the appearance , the future for it , i like google , i use their stuff , so having the android will make my life easier

i like the galaxy s the screen is 4 inch ( iphone only 3.5) , the color and the black and white r better in the galaxy s display , i can use microsd card , i can have extra battery , and the price is less

so my heart want the android and the galaxy s , i want them

but for the medical use specifically , wat i found is wat i wrote above , the iphone is superior when it comes to THE MEDICAL APPLICATIONS

that is why my BRAIN is telling my i SHOULD buy the iphone

u c guys its the same story the fight between mind and heart

u want to marry the sweet nice teacher but ur mind tell u to marry the daughter of the 1 million business guy

:) i dont know if this is the right example !!

so common bluedog ur the senior u r telling me the dx is palm pre = depression

i am the junior and i am saying the dx is iphone or galaxy s = anxiety

u should attack me and my dx u should make me an example in front of the rest of the team , cut me in pieces , hang me , put me in fire , throw me to the lions ......

help the poor junior to reach the land of wisdom !

Buy the Android phone, if you're that curious to see what it's all about. If you realize you've made a horrible mistake, most cell phone providers (in this country, anyway) will let you return a phone within thirty days.

I personally would save the money in medical school.

If not I would follow this rational.

Figure out who has the best network where I'm going to spend most of my time. Do some soul searching and figure out what you REALLY WANT from a phone. Then pick a phone.

Some things to note. Apple is in vogue right now, especially in the technophobic-academic settings. I **** you not, with certain people it may even help advance your career, thats how invested some of these people are with their apples.

Or you can be professional and get a blackberry, then you just need to pick what network/features you want.

that is all.