Best route to get in to Medical School for a High school Senior commit date May 1 2016

SandyFern

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am on the fence to commit (by 5/1/16) to Emory or to Rutgers New Brunswick which has ability to apply in the Sophomore yr to NJMS or Robert Wood Johnson School of Medicine.

Any advise is much appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'd recommend everyone go through the pre-med track and do some soul-searching along the way. No matter how dead-set on medicine you may feel right now, you're very young and could easily have a change of heart once you explore what else is out there.

Also, getting a 3.9 to 4.0 is much easier said than done. Don't just run on the assumption that you'll be in that range unless you're very academically gifted (ie valedictorian, top 1% of class, 99th percentile ACT/SAT, etc.)

Ok Emory alum here. If I were you I'd go to Rutgers if your goal is med school. Oxford Emory is brutal, many say the pre-med track over there is worse than the one on the main campus (which is saying something).

I say this with no disrespect to you OP, but Oxford is an attrition system for Emory students who couldn't make the cut to the main campus. A massive chunk of people just flunk out of Oxford, and those that do survive usually end up with a damaged gpa. When I was a freshman there was this big controversy where it was shown that the average gpa of an Oxford kid was something absurd like a 2.5 (compared to like 3.2 on the main campus) because it was so damn hard.

So if your goal is getting to med school, I'd say Rutgers. The people who do well from Emory do very well with med admissions, but a lot of people that would've made it to med school at another university don't make the cut at Emory. I'll leave you with the quote of my gen chem professor on day 1 of freshman year: "1 in 3 students start Emory a pre-med. 1 in 10 will attend medical school. It's my job to find those people." About 1/4 didn't even make it past the first test. You've been warned lol.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am on the fence to commit (by 5/1/16) to Oxford College of Emory or to Rutgers New Brunswick which has ability to apply in the Sophomore yr to NJMS or Robert Wood Johnson School of Medicine.

I am not a top 10% in the high school class but I have done research all my high school years and got recognition.

I am leaning towards Emory Oxford college as its small class size and get good attention and can get a 3.9 to 4.0 GPA. But all subjective. They do have pre medical advising but do not give opportunity to apply to Med School in Sophomore yr. I do not know much if anyone from there please comment

I am not sure I should be going to school give me ability to apply to medical school early or go to Emory and go thru Pre med track where I may not end up in Med School.

Any advise is acceptable..
I would go Rutgers. I went to Rutgers too. If your top 10% i high school you will do well at Rutgers. They are also more likely to offer you a undergraduate scholarship. Rutgers also has a lot of research so its very easy to obtain that for you CV. Lastly, the real jewel, Rutgers has a program called Odasis that is for minorities going into medical school. However, they do accept Asians and whites into the program they feel are good students or have helped with the staff in some way. The program director name is Dr Khan. He has connections from Harvard medical school to NYU to Vanderbilt to Rutgers medical school. He helps to students to get in if they do the work and get the scores. They offer tutoring, programs that pay you to tutor, summer programs with stipends and Mcat prep. However, this medical school process is no guarantee so just be warned. Here is Odasis website. They also have a office on campus. Also, on the website, is a newsletter every year of where the students got accepted for medical school. Emory in my opinion does not compare. Good luck. You might have to copy and past the link.
odasis.rutgers.edu

Moving to hSDN
thank you all... So this coming week I need to do travelling to Rutgers all 3 campuses.

Also I got in to Northeastern Honors program with a good grant. But didnt visit as they have 5yr co-op

I am so stressed out as I have to miss school.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight. I have a specific question to "The Knife and Gun" .

For all the others who replied kindly here is my question.
Next Rutgers has 3 campuses . I got a scholarship from Campden but not from other two. New Brunswick has the Sophomore year Med school selection program.

Given my situation in High school and I am determined to become a Doctor, what campus in Rutgers would be better ?

Last edited:
You go to New Brunswick for Rutgers. It is the main campus and the only good one. Camden is crap and so is Newark. Those cities are crap and thus so are the schools.

Thanks for the insight. I have a specific question to "The Knife and Gun" .
Yesterday I visited Oxford. What they told me was Oxford kids do better when go to main campus and they will do better in medical school.

Why do you say Oxford is hard. I am not top 10%, lot of people think as I have done lot of research in my state school as a HS 4 years.

I need to work hard and ask lot of questions to get an A. I am now doing Physics 1, Stats , Organic chem with English , Latin and Psychology.
I am struggling with Physics 1, Organic chem as I have to spend time on it. Others I am getting As.

Given my situation I thought Oxford small class size would be better than Rutgers . Please advise.

For all the others who replied kindly here is my question.
Next Rutgers has 3 campuses . I got a scholarship from Campden but not from other two. New Brunswick has the Sophomore year Med school selection program.

Given my situation in High school and I am determined to become a Doctor, what campus in Rutgers would be better ?

Well there's a grain of truth there in that they do better at the main campus than they did at the Oxford one, but that's more because of how brutally difficult the Oxford campus is. The theory is that you weren't able to make the cut for Emory admission, so they send you to Oxford where you basically have to "prove" you are ready to go to Emory. And a lot of people either don't make the cut (Tons of Oxford kids are failed out or withdraw every year), or do but survive with a severely damaged gpa.

If they do better or worse in medschool is a ridiculous statement. Oxford (or Emory, or Rutgers for that matter) has no clue how their students do in med school, and if they say they do that's a bold faced lie. If there's a grain of truth to that, again it's just because the attrition of the Oxford and Emory premed programs weeds out a ton of students. So only the very best make it out alive.

Also there's no research available at Oxford, so you'll need to wait til 3rd year when you arrive here to do that, which isn't ideal.

Overall, I get why you think Emory is a good choice. It's a prestigious school who's weight is known by adcoms. They produce a TON of premeds and send many to awesome programs. But by going to take a huge risk that you may be outcompeted with unnecessarily difficult weed out classes and hoards of gunners happy to take you down. I don't really know how to explain it without sounding over dramatic lol...it's just one of the most hatefilled, hypercompetitive, gunnerish places you could chose to get a pre med education. Emory breaks a lot of people. It broke me more than once, and the fact that I made it to med school in a goddamn miracle. Like for context we have a problem with kids studying so much that they actually give themselves seizures. So many people tale up stress smoking that they need to hire a security guard to sit outside the library all night to make sure students don't smoke cigarettes.

I hope this helps and isn't too doom and gloom. Come to Emory if you want, but come in knowing what you're getting into.

Also, how are you taking ochem in high school?
Dual enrollment? Be careful with that, last I recall Emory has a limit on dual enrollment credits

Reactions: 1 users
Well there's a grain of truth there in that they do better at the main campus than they did at the Oxford one, but that's more because of how brutally difficult the Oxford campus is. The theory is that you weren't able to make the cut for Emory admission, so they send you to Oxford where you basically have to "prove" you are ready to go to Emory. And a lot of people either don't make the cut (Tons of Oxford kids are failed out or withdraw every year), or do but survive with a severely damaged gpa.

If they do better or worse in medschool is a ridiculous statement. Oxford (or Emory, or Rutgers for that matter) has no clue how their students do in med school, and if they say they do that's a bold faced lie. If there's a grain of truth to that, again it's just because the attrition of the Oxford and Emory premed programs weeds out a ton of students. So only the very best make it out alive.

Also there's no research available at Oxford, so you'll need to wait til 3rd year when you arrive here to do that, which isn't ideal.

Overall, I get why you think Emory is a good choice. It's a prestigious school who's weight is known by adcoms. They produce a TON of premeds and send many to awesome programs. But by going to take a huge risk that you may be outcompeted with unnecessarily difficult weed out classes and hoards of gunners happy to take you down. I don't really know how to explain it without sounding over dramatic lol...it's just one of the most hatefilled, hypercompetitive, gunnerish places you could chose to get a pre med education. Emory breaks a lot of people. It broke me more than once, and the fact that I made it to med school in a goddamn miracle. Like for context we have a problem with kids studying so much that they actually give themselves seizures. So many people tale up stress smoking that they need to hire a security guard to sit outside the library all night to make sure students don't smoke cigarettes.

I hope this helps and isn't too doom and gloom. Come to Emory if you want, but come in knowing what you're getting into.

Also, how are you taking ochem in high school?
Dual enrollment? Be careful with that, last I recall Emory has a limit on dual enrollment credits[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I am taking 6 AP classes this year plus Honors OChem.

Last edited:
Hi All

Anyone gotton to Med school from Uni of Miami , USF, UCF , Loyola of Chicago, St Boneventure or Northeastern(Their grant was the best). I gotton to all the above schools in addition to Emory and Rutgers (all 3 campuses).

Please write your opinion on your experience Early admission programs of those schools ... (I know loyola, Miami, UCS, UCF has in Sophomore year)

Hi All

Anyone gotton to Med school from Uni of Miami , USF, UCF , Loyola of Chicago, St Boneventure or Northeastern(Their grant was the best). I gotton to all the above schools in addition to Emory and Rutgers (all 3 campuses).

Please write your opinion on your experience Early admission programs of those schools ... (I know loyola, Miami, UCS, UCF has in Sophomore year)
You're not going to get many people who are familiar with those specific early admission programs on this website. 99% of people here are regular applicants to medical school, not some assurance sophomore program for students of a specific college

Members don't see this ad :)
You're not going to get many people who are familiar with those specific early admission programs on this website. 99% of people here are regular applicants to medical school, not some assurance sophomore program for students of a specific college

Those schools have both tracks , early sophomore applications and regular end of Jnr yr application to Med School. Please comment if any of you have any experience in these schools..

Those schools have both tracks , early sophomore applications and regular end of Jnr yr application to Med School. Please comment if any of you have any experience in these schools..
It is not high yield to come to a diverse forum like this and ask for specific information about undergrad college programs. Go to the school that is the cheapest and won't kick your ass in a location you like. This is a personal decision based on many factors we cannot help you with.

All of those schools are fine to be premed at. Nothing in particular stands out besides the already mentioned intensity of Emory. If I were you, I would not go to Emory and bet my chances on outperforming other high achievers based on your past flaws.

Last edited:
I'm somewhat familiar with the Miami program. What I understand is that Miami is a good place to be because they have very strong preference for their own undergrads. About a 1/4-1/3 of each UM med class is made up of UM undergrads, via the bs/md, sophomore app, and regular app. That's a really strong undergrad preference. Have you been accepted to the programs you reference above?

Otherwise, I'm not too familiar with usf or UCF, but would say they are probably second to Miami only because their undergrads are not as well known. So if you were forced to apply out the Miami name carries more weight. (Im biased though, UCF med rejected me, and I had perhaps the worst interviewer ever at USF Med). Also I haven't heard the most glowing reviews of loyola med or UG, but can't speak from experience since I didnt apply.

Also high school classes, even APs are pretty easy compared to college classes. I went to a very competitive high school too, had great grades, thought I was ready, and got smoked. I got a 5 in ap bio, then literally failed college bio.

Lastly very few people achieve >3.75 at Emory. That said med schools recognize that it is hard as hell, which is why the average accepted student from Emory has somewhere around a 3.5-3.6. In my entire time here I think I've only met 2 people who were >3.8 (people are very public about their grades). That said if you do get 3.75+, and a decent mcat, you basically guarantee yourself an acceptance somewhere (provided you have an otherwise well rounded app).

**PS. all this comes from my own opinion and experience, and is purely anecdotal. Your milage may vary.

I'm somewhat familiar with the Miami program. What I understand is that Miami is a good place to be because they have very strong preference for their own undergrads. About a 1/4-1/3 of each UM med class is made up of UM undergrads, via the bs/md, sophomore app, and regular app. That's a really strong undergrad preference. Have you been accepted to the programs you reference above?

Otherwise, I'm not too familiar with usf or UCF, but would say they are probably second to Miami only because their undergrads are not as well known. So if you were forced to apply out the Miami name carries more weight. (Im biased though, UCF med rejected me, and I had perhaps the worst interviewer ever at USF Med). Also I haven't heard the most glowing reviews of loyola med or UG, but can't speak from experience since I didnt apply.

Also high school classes, even APs are pretty easy compared to college classes. I went to a very competitive high school too, had great grades, thought I was ready, and got smoked. I got a 5 in ap bio, then literally failed college bio.

Lastly very few people achieve >3.75 at Emory. That said med schools recognize that it is hard as hell, which is why the average accepted student from Emory has somewhere around a 3.5-3.6. In my entire time here I think I've only met 2 people who were >3.8 (people are very public about their grades). That said if you do get 3.75+, and a decent mcat, you basically guarantee yourself an acceptance somewhere (provided you have an otherwise well rounded app).

**PS. all this comes from my own opinion and experience, and is purely anecdotal. Your milage may vary

Last edited:
Thank you for the great insight.

I am visiting Rutgers. What they told me was Robert Wood Johnson will take around 56 and NJMS takes 36 from RU new Brunswick class .

Now that you provided UMiami insight. What would be a better by getting in to Med School as regular ?
(Someone told me all the folks here are regular med school applicants)

When talking to Rutgers HPO they said rather than research the 2 schools NJMed school and RWJMed school value volunteer and clinical work with patients to show the value of working with patients. Does it mean it is strong in internal medicine but not more research focused?

Last edited:

I am visiting Rutgers. What they told me was Robert Wood Johnson will take around 56 and NJMS takes 36 from RU new Brunswick class .

Now that you provided UMiami insight. What would be a better by getting in to Med School as regular ?

I have another question, after all you did get in to Med School. What would you think you stood out among others and made to the med school where ever you got accepted to?

When talking to Rutgers HPO they said rather than research the 2 schools NJMed school and RWJMed school value volunteer and clinical work with patients to show the value of working with patients. Does it mean it is strong in internal medicine but not more research focused?

Im sorry but I dont think I understand your question. I think purely for getting into med school Rutgers will be your best bet. But I'm honestly totally unfamiliar with the Undergrad(s?) and med school. Miami is a good option for pre-meds too, but I think Rutgers is better. Emory is great if you goal is getting into a very high powered medical school, but you increase the risk blowing your chances completely (and having a rather unpleasant undergrad experience IMO).

As for volunteer vs. research stuff, most state schools tend to prefer community volunteering and dedication to the underserved people in the state. Private med schools tend to prefer research. However this is an enormous generalization, and there are service minded privates and research minded publics. I'm not sure how the NJ schools fit with this trend.

Also internal medicine isn't really mutually exclusive with research...theres quite a bit of overlap between the two. If your suggesting though that the schools may be more focused in primary care over research that's a possibility, but I don't really know.

I have another question, after all you did get in to Med School. What would you think you stood out among others and made to the med school where ever you got accepted to?

I'm not really a good example of what to do vs not do. Emory eviscerated my GPA, to the point where my grades were well below the averages (science/BCPM gpa ~3.2) of every American medical school. So I got a pretty good MCAT (35/~517) and took a research year to strengthen my app. I'll be going to UMiami Med in the fall, but the only reason I think they're giving me a shot is because my mentor in undergrad was their former chief of surgery who wrote me a glowing letter of rec. For a full list of places I got in and other stuff you can check out my MDapps (http://www.mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=31366)

Best of luck!

What makes us stand out is that we got into medical school and they did not

I am on the fence to commit (by 5/1/16) to Oxford College of Emory or to Rutgers New Brunswick which has ability to apply in the Sophomore yr to NJMS or Robert Wood Johnson School of Medicine.

I am not a top 10% in the high school class but I have done research all my high school years and got recognition.

I am leaning towards Emory Oxford college as its small class size and get good attention and can get a 3.9 to 4.0 GPA. But all subjective. They do have pre medical advising but do not give opportunity to apply to Med School in Sophomore yr. I do not know much if anyone from there please comment

I am not sure I should be going to school give me ability to apply to medical school early or go to Emory and go thru Pre med track where I may not end up in Med School.

Any advise is acceptable..
Rutgers New Brunswick.

Hi randomguy123456..

Can you please elaborate why would you favor "Rutgers NB" ?

For Everyone 's info I am a Florida resident . I received 88% tuition grant from Emory and UMiami 69% . Being a Florida resident, I applied to Rutgers pretty late, 3/18/16 so I doubt they will give any school aid as scholarships were given to those who applied 1/1/16. But in any case I am visiting NB next couple of days.
My goal is like all of you to get good experience in the College (not just hard science but Science and humanities) , work hard and apply to Med School with a good GPA (> 3.6)

I am 90% to Emory but things I heard from the replies I received scared me to death about Emory GPA.
Much appreciate any last minute.

Last edited:
Best of luck sandy fern. I think you'll do well wherever you go. Just stay focused on your goal and don't lose sight of what's important in life.

Didn't know you were a Florida resident, that changes things a bit...opens you up to 7-8 MD schools all of which exhibit some degree of residency preference. It makes the app cycle substantially easier.

Yup.. I am FL resident now originally from Puerto Rico.

I still did not get a straight answer from any of you Physicians why "Rutgers - NB" is better for the Goal that all of us in this forum wants to accomplish.. Before I fly there please let me know..

Last edited:
Yup.. I am FL resident now originally from Puerto Rico.

I still did not get a straight answer from any of you Physicians why "Rutgers - NB" is better for the Goal that all of us in this forum wants to accomplish.. Before I fly there please let me know..
It is a well known school with a good reputation

It is not known to be ****ing hard and is less likely to ruin your GPA

It is a relatively well-funded state school that offers a lot of opportunities within and beyond the medical field

NB is the main Rutgers campus and the only one you should consider because the others are small local campuses in bad cities that don't have as many resources

If you are willing to go to Miami, if the TOTAL COST with your 69% grant is cheaper than Rutgers, go to Miami. NB is not worth the extra money in this scenario. Basically all we're telling you is that Emory is hard as **** and not a good gamble if you weren't a rockstar in high school

Anyone please let me know Emory - 3.5 GPA be acceptable for any medical school ?

Thats what I have so far in oxford - Emory Sophomore.

At Emory the magic number is 3.6. Above 3.6, and with a 32 MCAT (511?) over 90% of applicants will get accepted to an MD program (based on the internal stats they gave us while I was there).

At 3.5 MCAT becomes more important. The people I know who got in with a 3.5 mostly had MCATs in the 513+ range.

My GPA was much lower, but with an MCAT around 517ish.

Congrats! Oxford is notoriously difficult. What major did you pick?

At Emory the magic number is 3.6. Above 3.6, and with a 32 MCAT (511?) over 90% of applicants will get accepted to an MD program (based on the internal stats they gave us while I was there).

At 3.5 MCAT becomes more important. The people I know who got in with a 3.5 mostly had MCATs in the 513+ range.

My GPA was much lower, but with an MCAT around 517ish.

Congrats! Oxford is notoriously difficult. What major did you pick?

I am going to pick , Human Health..

When I looked back 1.5years ago you said Oxford is hard. Yes it is very true. But professors are damn good and they know what they are doing.

But Pre-med office is no help at all. I am on my own. I will most likely apply to little know medical school. Otherwise I may have to go throuhg Physician assistant route that Emory is boasting about. Any comments greatly appreciated.

I am not sure Junior year I may drop further down than 3.5 . I see still my classmates get As for all 4 subjects unbelievably.