Best Resource to Prepare for APPEs & to Brush Up On My Education?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentofdrugs2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I’m starting rotations soon and I want to prepare / brush up on my knowledge. What’s the most recommended way of going about this? I also want to use the next 12 months to study for the NAPLEX. Obviously the last 2-3 months before the exam is where I will study more intensely, however I don’t want to waste time. Should I just buy one of those big books now and start perusing through it? Any recommended online resources?

A quick background on me. I’m not the most studious student, and having said that I really picked up the slack more so this past academic year. I squandered some time and resources over the course of my student life and I want to make up for that. I’m proficient in some areas but I’m also not very well informed in other areas. Having said that, I don’t want to look like an idiot during rotations and my first block is Amb Care. I am a lot more motivated now and want to excel in my profession so I want to use this next year wisely. I picked harder preceptors so I could learn more as well.

Anyways, sorry for the ramble. But tldr; best resource to review pharmacy knowledge from the past years? Everything from pharmacist for dummies (aka everything a pharmacist should know) to more intensive areas. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

So I’m starting rotations soon and I want to prepare / brush up on my knowledge. What’s the most recommended way of going about this? I also want to use the next 12 months to study for the NAPLEX. Obviously the last 2-3 months before the exam is where I will study more intensely, however I don’t want to waste time. Should I just buy one of those big books now and start perusing through it? Any recommended online resources?

A quick background on me. I’m not the most studious student, and having said that I really picked up the slack more so this past academic year. I squandered some time and resources over the course of my student life and I want to make up for that. I’m proficient in some areas but I’m also not very well informed in other areas. Having said that, I don’t want to look like an idiot during rotations and my first block is Amb Care. I am a lot more motivated now and want to excel in my profession so I want to use this next year wisely. I picked harder preceptors so I could learn more as well.

Anyways, sorry for the ramble. But tldr; best resource to review pharmacy knowledge from the past years? Everything from pharmacist for dummies (aka everything a pharmacist should know) to more intensive areas. Thank you!
Naplex prep books are a great resource

Reactions: 1 user
There are a lot of opportunities during rotations. You have to use your time wisely.

I got my current job through my rotations. It wasn't easy but I did things that other students didn't do. This is what I recommend:

(1) Choose sites that are likely to hire new graduates like retail, mail order, long term care, nursing home, etc. Even if these sites are far, they are worth the drive.

(2) Know the drugs well and be able to look up information right away. If they have a formulary, ask for a copy. I mainly used these sources:

- Pharmacy Charts: concise drug information in chart formats

2018 Edition Pharmacy Charts - NAPLEX, CPJE RX Review | eBay

- Tarascon: portable, instant information
Amazon product

- National guidelines: http://www.guideline.gov

- pharmacist letter:
Pharmacist's Letter

(3) I came early and left later than other students. Sometimes, I even came on the weekends.

(4) I called my preceptors a week in advance and introduced myself. I then followed up with an email asking them how I can prepare for the rotations

(5) I treated the techs really well. I brought treats to the pharmacy and thanked them for their help. Techs and pharmacists love to talk so treat everyone with respect.

(6) I made it clear to my preceptors that I am interested in a pharmacist position. I took some of my preceptors' work home. I also looked up drug information for them.

(7) I talked to upperclassmen. I asked them about the sites, the preceptors and what I can do to impress my preceptors. I took each rotation like a 6 week interview.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Im also about to start rotations, and I have fished for lots of advice also.
The biggest advice I got was know what you're going into. So say you have a cardiology elective. Know those CHEST guidelines well! For general am care, focus of major disease states like DM, HTN, HLD and be familiar with those guidelines. Contact your preceptor in advance, specifically asking if there is a topic or a set of guidelines they want you to review. Also, find an app you know how to use fast and well (Clinical pharm. Lexicomp, Medscape, Micromedex etc, ). There is NO shame in not knowing everything, but it is shameful if you do not know where to find that information.
I also purchased clinical cards (through school) that fit in my lab coat with major equations, guidelines, doses etc. by disease states.
There is lots of "white-coat paraphernalia" to help you out. just google it...

Im also about to start rotations, and I have fished for lots of advice also.
The biggest advice I got was know what you're going into. So say you have a cardiology elective. Know those CHEST guidelines well! For general am care, focus of major disease states like DM, HTN, HLD and be familiar with those guidelines. Contact your preceptor in advance, specifically asking if there is a topic or a set of guidelines they want you to review. Also, find an app you know how to use fast and well (Clinical pharm. Lexicomp, Medscape, Micromedex etc, ). There is NO shame in not knowing everything, but it is shameful if you do not know where to find that information.
I also purchased clinical cards (through school) that fit in my lab coat with major equations, guidelines, doses etc. by disease states.
There is lots of "white-coat paraphernalia" to help you out. just google it...

What rotations r you doing?

How are your rotations going? Any advice so far?

(5) I treated the techs really well. I brought treats to the pharmacy and thanked them for their help. Techs and pharmacists love to talk so treat everyone with respect.

This stuck out to me as a simple thing that people often seem to overlook. It blows my mind that some students don't seem to grasp this concept. I work with students for 6 weeks. I work with most of my techs two even three times longer than that (I kid). I care a lot more about them than I do about you.

Anyway tricking techs and coworkers into liking you for six weeks is good practice for a lifetime of doing the same (again I kid).

Reactions: 3 users
This stuck out to me as a simple thing that people often seem to overlook. It blows my mind that some students don't seem to grasp this concept. I work with students for 6 weeks. I work with most of my techs two even three times longer than that (I kid). I care a lot more about them than I do about you.

Anyway tricking techs and coworkers into liking you for six weeks is good practice for a lifetime of doing the same (again I kid).

So how many techs have cried because of you?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
So how many techs have cried because of you?

Two that I know of. But that was only after I got my job! :p

I am actually very nice and polite. Or at least that is my self perception. I guess that is kind of hard to square with my tendency to reduce techs to tears. But in both cases all I did was ask someone to finish a work related task. It’s not like I accused them of having white privilege!

Reactions: 4 users
Two that I know of. But that was only after I got my job! :p

I am actually very nice and polite. Or at least that is my self perception. I guess that is kind of hard to square with my tendency to reduce techs to tears. But in both cases all I did was ask someone to finish a work related task. It’s not like I accused them of having white privilege!

How is your relationship with those techs now? Do you feel like you have to be extra careful around them now?

How is your relationship with those techs now? Do you feel like you have to be extra careful around them now?

You know that is a great question. I feel like I get along with them very well although I admit I have stopped trying to ‘manage’ them except for obviously checking the accuracy of their work.

Members don't see this ad :)
You know that is a great question. I feel like I get along with them very well although I admit I have stopped trying to ‘manage’ them except for obviously checking the accuracy of their work.

Isn't it weird to not manage them, though? My feeling is they're allowed inside the pharmacy because of your pharmacist license. They're extensions of you. I've only ever had 2 techs who had their finger on the pulse. One is just ridiculously smart. Not sure why she's even a tech. She could be anything. I guess she has kids. And the other one, has over 20 years of experience.

Isn't it weird to not manage them, though? My feeling is they're allowed inside the pharmacy because of your pharmacist license. They're extensions of you. I've only ever had 2 techs who had their finger on the pulse. One is just ridiculously smart. Not sure why she's even a tech. She could be anything. I guess she has kids. And the other one, has over 20 years of experience.

It felt weird at first but when you’re one of three pharmacist on duty at any given time it’s not too hard to just take a backseat and not try to direct workflow.

I still slip every now and then and try to give someone some work to do but thankfully we seem to be past that tears stage.

It felt weird at first but when you’re one of three pharmacist on duty at any given time it’s not too hard to just take a backseat and not try to direct workflow.

I still slip every now and then and try to give someone some work to do but thankfully we seem to be past that tears stage.

just wondering, what would happen to you if they cried again? Do they need to prove that you acted improperly?

It is very true...you have to manage the techs but you also have to walk on eggshells. Not easy thing to do.

It is very true...you have to manage the techs but you also have to walk on eggshells. Not easy thing to do.

Yup...another reason why a lot of pharmacists don't want to be supervisor nowadays.

You can study from neplex, really its very good resource for preperation. By the way what rotation are you doing.

You can study from neplex, really its very good resource for preperation. By the way what rotation are you doing.

That is a good point...should study for naplex during rotations!

Join fb groups!

You unnecro'd this thread just to tell someone to join generic FB groups? Maybe you could give them the specific names of what FB groups would be helpful (disclaimer, I generally find FB to be very unhelpful, so I imagine if someone just goes blindly searching for "groups" on FB, that they would be unlikely to find helpful ones.)

You unnecro'd this thread just to tell someone to join generic FB groups? Maybe you could give them the specific names of what FB groups would be helpful (disclaimer, I generally find FB to be very unhelpful, so I imagine if someone just goes blindly searching for "groups" on FB, that they would be unlikely to find helpful ones.)

Lol my post got cut off!

• Haha
I will echo the treat techs well comment. Techs talk about previous students and you dont want to be the one that they hate or have bad stories about. You are not above them! Bottomline if you want a chance at a job at any point in the future at a site you are at they won't look your way if you have a superiority complex. There are many more to choose from without that baggage. You are not better or above any task they give you on rotation. If they dont give you something to do find something to do. Ask questions this is one of the last times you can do that without being the person that is supposed to have the answers so take advantage of that. I definitely recommend getting some kind of naplex prep book for downtime or just for prepping for particular rotations. Personal favorite is Rxprep even if you an just get your hands on an old copy without online stuff for rotations and maybe get the newer one prior to the test. My first job bought it for me so i would hate for you to waste a ton of money on something you may get free later. Don't pretend to know an answer to something either say i dont know i will look it up or give a reasonable guess stating that you would assume and give your reasoning. Get whatever your school requires in terms of documentation, soap notes, etc done early dont be scrambling for a case on the last day. Keep all your required certificates, intern license, etc in a binder or something so you know where they are. Especially if you are moving a lot it helps to know that you didnt forget it at the last site.

I will echo the treat techs well comment. Techs talk about previous students and you dont want to be the one that they hate or have bad stories about. You are not above them! Bottomline if you want a chance at a job at any point in the future at a site you are at they won't look your way if you have a superiority complex. There are many more to choose from without that baggage. You are not better or above any task they give you on rotation. If they dont give you something to do find something to do. Ask questions this is one of the last times you can do that without being the person that is supposed to have the answers so take advantage of that. I definitely recommend getting some kind of naplex prep book for downtime or just for prepping for particular rotations. Personal favorite is Rxprep even if you an just get your hands on an old copy without online stuff for rotations and maybe get the newer one prior to the test. My first job bought it for me so i would hate for you to waste a ton of money on something you may get free later. Don't pretend to know an answer to something either say i dont know i will look it up or give a reasonable guess stating that you would assume and give your reasoning. Get whatever your school requires in terms of documentation, soap notes, etc done early dont be scrambling for a case on the last day. Keep all your required certificates, intern license, etc in a binder or something so you know where they are. Especially if you are moving a lot it helps to know that you didnt forget it at the last site.

How do you suggest on getting on the tech good side?

How do you suggest on getting on the tech good side?
Getting on the tech good side requires a few things (albeit not a comprehensive list):

1. Good Attitude/Communication- Have an eagerness to help. Follow through with your work to completion as you are assigned. If you need help, don't be afraid to ask questions for clarification (but also take notes if needed because if you start asking the same question multiple times, obviously you did not listen to the instructions that were given to you).

2. Situational Awareness- Don't interrupt technicians if they are in the middle of a labor intensive task. Avoid gossiping and be wary of technicians which may be having a bad day and if you do something wrong it could set them off (essentially street smarts).

3. Accuracy and Efficiency- Do your work in a timely manner without making critical mistakes and don't be afraid to ask questions as stated previousl.

4. Team Player- Echoing sentiments previously stated, "You are not better or above any task they give you on rotation". Especially if you were to apply for a job with that employer in the future, your track record with interactions with the staff are your "network" which can help or hurt your next hurdle of getting a job. Always be willing to help if you are able to and offer up your help, especially if you complete your assigned task and have nothing to do.

5. Bonus- Bring food for the pharmacy.

Of note, these are just some tidbits just to be a good employee in general for any job and applies not just to technicians, but pharmacists, managers, etc.

Getting on the tech good side requires a few things (albeit not a comprehensive list):

1. Good Attitude/Communication- Have an eagerness to help. Follow through with your work to completion as you are assigned. If you need help, don't be afraid to ask questions for clarification (but also take notes if needed because if you start asking the same question multiple times, obviously you did not listen to the instructions that were given to you).

2. Situational Awareness- Don't interrupt technicians if they are in the middle of a labor intensive task. Avoid gossiping and be wary of technicians which may be having a bad day and if you do something wrong it could set them off (essentially street smarts).

3. Accuracy and Efficiency- Do your work in a timely manner without making critical mistakes and don't be afraid to ask questions as stated previousl.

4. Team Player- Echoing sentiments previously stated, "You are not better or above any task they give you on rotation". Especially if you were to apply for a job with that employer in the future, your track record with interactions with the staff are your "network" which can help or hurt your next hurdle of getting a job. Always be willing to help if you are able to and offer up your help, especially if you complete your assigned task and have nothing to do.

5. Bonus- Bring food for the pharmacy.

Of note, these are just some tidbits just to be a good employee in general for any job and applies not just to technicians, but pharmacists, managers, etc.

Bring food? We are not postmate! Haha

Well, I told all my preceptors on the first day that I am concerned with the current pharmacist job market, and I am preparing for my plan b right now. And the priority of my plan b may very well become my plan a as the layoffs keep rolling.
So far, they have been very cool with that.

seriously, why wasting time impressing you preceptors and study naplex for 12 months when u can literally just cram and pass it with 2 weeks of prep?