Best practice for PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HighSpeed

Cool Nursing
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have taken and passed. Just wanted to know how hard the PCAT was. Was it similar to the SAT except the Chemistry and Bio sections of it? or was it harder.

What is the best way to go about practicing so you can get a high score?

I do computer support and seriously thinking about switching to Pharmacy. I

Members don't see this ad.

I scored a 98% overall, 98% verbal, 98% biology, 94% reading comprehension, 90% chemistry and 82% math.

I felt the test was easy, but there was not enough time for me to finish the math and chemistry sections. This led to my lower scores in those subjects.

For studying, I used the PCAT Audio Learn cassette tapes for biology. I listened to the tapes several times. For the other sections, I used the Barron's PCAT study guide with sample tests. The tests in that book are in the same format of the PCAT, so it gets you familiar with the format. When I took the test, I found my anxiety level drop when it looked identical to my practice tests. I started the practice tests about one week before the PCAT. Anything I missed, I reviewed in textbooks.

When you take the test, answer all the questions in math and chemistry that don't require calculations. Then, go back through and pick up the ones that you skipped. You have more than enough time on the other sections of the test.

I've heard good things about the Barrons study guides. I think I'll use that. Do you know of any other study materials?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Modnar
Is the PCAT paper-based or computer-based?

It's paper based like the SAT and ACT. Your answer sheet is graded by computers.

Woohoo! Paper tests are far superior. I've taken GRE prep tests on the computer and sucked at 'em. :)