Best plan of action to get to medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeeRich924

Reaction score
Hi all. I am a 30-year old Chemist looking to make a career change. My undergrad GPA was a 3.07 , and I went on to get my Masters in Chemistry with a 3.33. I am looking for the best plan of action to enhance my application to medical school. I was looking to do nursing and I was accepted to an ABSN program but my dream has always been medical school. I just felt nursing might've been a better option due to age and how long I've been out of school. From what I've read, maybe take some upper level science courses? I just recently took Anatomy 1 and 2 with the lab, and Microbiology to fulfill my nursing school requirements. I received an A in every class. I actually take school seriously now unline before hence my GPAs. I also went through some things in college, but everyone has a story. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a Registered Nurse and have been for about 4 years before I realized that my dream is to go into medicine. Nursing school will take up 100% of your time and will drop your GPA majorly as the courses are rigorous and not as easy to make A's in as your traditional sciences. Coming out of nursing school you will have to do a nurse residency which is usually 1 year long where you will be training under a preceptor. Those first 1-2 years of being a nurse are very frightening and overwhelming and would not be a good time to take medical school pre-reqs. If you feel like you want to go to medical school, now is the time. I have spent the last 1.5 years having to take the pre-medical courses, study for the MCAT, volunteer and shadow physicians. It has been very demanding on my time, but I am glad that I have done it and am currently interviewing at different schools. If I were you, I would become a scribe to gain clinical employment and I would finish the prerequisites you would need to apply to medical school (more than likely DO schools as I do not think you will be able to gain entrance to an MD school with your GPA). If this is something you truly want, I know that you can make it happen!

Hi all. I am a 30-year old Chemist looking to make a career change. My undergrad GPA was a 3.07 , and I went on to get my Masters in Chemistry with a 3.33. I am looking for the best plan of action to enhance my application to medical school. I was looking to do nursing and I was accepted to an ABSN program but my dream has always been medical school. I just felt nursing might've been a better option due to age and how long I've been out of school. From what I've read, maybe take some upper level science courses? I just recently took Anatomy 1 and 2 with the lab, and Microbiology to fulfill my nursing school requirements. I received an A in every class. I actually take school seriously now unline before hence my GPAs. I also went through some things in college, but everyone has a story. Thanks in advance!
Strongly suggest a post-bac program for career changers, or an SMP, preferably one given at a med school with some sort of linkage. Take the mCAT either before or after the program, NOT during.

read this:

Reactions: 2 users