Best place to look for PM&R openings...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TreeOfLife

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I'm one of the many applicants this year that did not match. Can you believe that UMich, who had 1 spot open says they received over 200 inquiries into the opening. I can't imagine how many people are out there vying for this one spot.

Although I am dismayed and dissapointed...I am certainly not giving up now! If anyone has any advice on where to look for residency openings from here on out--I'd love to hear from you. I am already committed to a 1-year AOA accredited transitional internship and would be looking to begin my PM&R residency July 06'.

If anyone gets wind of programs that somehow miraculously have an open spot--please post on the boards here. I know that people sometimes quit, have family issues, change specialties etc...if this happens in your program--Please let us know!!! I know it is a long shot but personally, I'm open for anything!

Also, if anyone has stories on previous openings that have come available or strange situations where a non-matched applicant ends up with a spot...tell all! We need some optimistic light!

Congrats to all of you who matched! : ) Go out an celebrate!!!!! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I think either find-a-resident website (through AAMC) or www.physiatry.org (and click on "positions available"). www.physiatry.org seems like the better shot...actually VCU just posted opening for PGY2 and PGY3 position LAST WEEK!!

But hey, I am in the same boat as you, so if anyone else has any suggestions then feel free to post them here.

Date Submitted: 4/1/05
Program: Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Program year: PGY-2
Start date: July 1, 2005
Institution: Univ. of Med & Dentistry of NJ - New Jersey Med School
City and State: Newark , NJ 07103
Contact name: Michele Browne, Residency Training Coordinator
Contact address: ADMC Suite 101 , 30 Bergen Street
Contact e-mail: [email protected]
Contact phone: (973) 972-3606
Deadline: Rolling
Prerequisites: M.D. or D.O., completion of PGY-1 year in U.S. meeting RRC requirements for preliminary clinical training, favorable recommendations from current training program, evidence of commitment to the specialty of PM&R
Comments: Please provide c.v., Dean's letter, 3 letters of recommendation, USMLE or COMLEX transcripts for steps 1-3, medical school transcripts, personal statement.

DrGucciGal said:
I think either find-a-resident website (through AAMC) or www.physiatry.org (and click on "positions available"). www.physiatry.org seems like the better shot...actually VCU just posted opening for PGY2 and PGY3 position LAST WEEK!!

But hey, I am in the same boat as you, so if anyone else has any suggestions then feel free to post them here.

Members don't see this ad :)
prefontaine said:
Date Submitted: 4/1/05
Program: Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Program year: PGY-2
Start date: July 1, 2005
Institution: Univ. of Med & Dentistry of NJ - New Jersey Med School
City and State: Newark , NJ 07103
Contact name: Michele Browne, Residency Training Coordinator
Contact address: ADMC Suite 101 , 30 Bergen Street
Contact e-mail: [email protected]
Contact phone: (973) 972-3606
Deadline: Rolling
Prerequisites: M.D. or D.O., completion of PGY-1 year in U.S. meeting RRC requirements for preliminary clinical training, favorable recommendations from current training program, evidence of commitment to the specialty of PM&R
Comments: Please provide c.v., Dean's letter, 3 letters of recommendation, USMLE or COMLEX transcripts for steps 1-3, medical school transcripts, personal statement.

Wow, isn't this Kessler?

Finally M3 said:
Wow, isn't this Kessler?

Yes, this is an open spot at Kessler. One of our current R1 residents is leaving the program for family reasons, so we now have an additional spot for an incoming R1.

We filled all of our spots, and we actually had a very good match this year.