Best Place To Go For Observation Hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AWood02

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a pre pt student in the suburbs of chicago and was wondering if anyone had advice on who to reach out to for observation hours? I am having trouble with the major ones like ATI and Athletico. Any advice would help such as a good strategy for contacting people.

Members don't see this ad.

I would focus on getting a variety of settings such as inpatient and outpatient than trying to find the best outpatient setting. That will make your application stand out more to schools because it shows you explored the profession. That being said don’t worry about where you go and get inpatient hours where they will accept you because that is harder to come by.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

With outpatient clinics, just call around and ask or send emails to different facilities. If you're having issues with large chains, maybe try some smaller independent clinics. You may have to drive a bit in order to find a place that will allow shadowing. As the above poster said, inpatient will be much more difficult. With inpatient, I sent emails to about 10 different skilled nursing facilities and only heard back from one. The hospital I shadowed at was also very difficult to hunt down the contact info and then I had to have a TB test and flu shot done in order to observe.