Best place to get loans for DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

Wo1verine7DO

For MS I and MSII or future DO students, where are you looking to get loans besides the usual gov't financial aid and scholarships? I have to try to find a place to borrow from, but I'm not sure where to start looking? Are there any medical school friendly loans with low interest or low fees? I saw one advertisement from Wells Fargo, but its only for certain medical schools like DMU called Medcap? I live in NY/NJ/Phi area and moving to KC, MO in the fall...
Thanks,
Anthony

Members don't see this ad.

Most big banks including Wells Fargo will offer 'private' student loans for medical students, allopathic or osteopathic, in addition to servicing the federal Stafford loans. If you'd rather go with something specifically osteopathic, try www.nowloans.org .

UHS will be sending you a HUGE packet of outside lenders. Plus during your orientation week you will have a financial aid session. I wouldn't apply to any of the outside lenders until you attend the financial aid session because they tell you what to look for from lenders so you pay the least amount of interest/fees when you get out of school. I think it typically takes about a month before you are approved for outside lending (this includes the school being contacted by the lender). UHS will also be running a credit report (if they haven't already done so) and the head of financial aid will be very specific on where you stand with gaining funds. Usually, for most students it isn't a problem, even if your credit history is so-so.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used key bank for my private loans. It was simple, and their interest was low at the time.

If I wait until orientation, wouldn't that be too late to get outside lenders since I'd have to submit my first semesters tuition? Also, to live in an apartment, they are looking at my financial aid statement...? Or do I use a gov't loan first, then get private loan?
Thanks,
Anthony

The good thing about private loans from banks is that for the most part they will give you a pretty good rate comparable (although a bit higher) than a loan from the government. You'll be paying a bit more in the end, but it's not a whole lot considering what the size of the loan will be after four years.

I suggest getting a loan from Vinnie down at Rossinos. If you can find a good place to hide, you never have to repay your loans. However, if they find you, they will introduce you to their little friend.