"Best" Place for residency in the MD/DC/VA area?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roy7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know "Best" is a very subjective term, but I was looking for any opinions with any reasons. I'm assuming "best" goes for wide variety of cases, research, and competitive-ness.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think most people would respond to your question...or someone would end up posting something sarcastic to your response.....But as to be expected you shouldn't preface a question on this forum with "best."...it all depends on what you like and the feel you get once you visit.

Now knowing all that I don't think you can go wrong with any of the programs in the MD/DC/VA area. I don't see the harm in applying to all and seeing if you get an interview. They are within driving distance so shouldn't be a waste of your time to schedule... and there are maybe 6 or so residencies in that area.

You should also broaden your search further up and down the east coast. There are a lot of great programs.

That totally makes sense, but I'm planning my away rotations and there's no way I can do one at each school. I dont want to just pick by which is prettier or which is in a nicer area..

Like I was planning on doing an away rotation at Hopkins because I'd always heard Hopkins was good for anything medicine. But then some people were posting about how hopkins is malignant, I'm rethinking doing my away rotation there instead of something like Georgetown, GW, or mayland.

Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
As an attending at one of the EM programs in the DC area, I can tell you that all of the programs here (I will refer to Univ of MD, Hopkins, GW and Georgetown) are all solid programs. Each with their own pros and cons. It all depends what YOU are looking for. If I were in your shoes and applying, honestly, you can't go wrong with either of these. If you had always had your fancy for Hopkins, you should definately do a rotation there.

Don't take what you read here on SDN as gospel. It really should only effect maybe 5-10% of your choice. The rest should be what you have heard from fellow students in person, residents, and faculty you have talked to.

Q

How come Hopkins?! Really they're all the same to me so far, I just want to go somewhere that I can do a lot of stuff, get treated well, work with nice people, and get the best education possible.

I'm really struggling my Away rotations in that I can only do 2, but there are like 6 schools in the area - if you guys had the option (any of you DC-ers), what would you pick?

Thanks again and i'm sorry if I'm missing the point, I just cant really find myself to just arbitrarily pick which one to do an away rotation at without wondering if Im' missing something amazing at another one of the hospitals.

Thanks!

I'm biased, too.

Don't forget Christiana in DE... probably hurt their feelings not to be included in your list.

My advice would be to go somewhere that you desperately want to get into, somewhere where you'll get a totally unique experience, or somewhere with a nice beach and beautiful people. When I went to Highland and LA County for my rotations, I got all three.

I'm really struggling my Away rotations in that I can only do 2, but there are like 6 schools in the area - if you guys had the option (any of you DC-ers), what would you pick?

Thanks!

I would pick Univ of MD and, of course, GT.

Q

Ahhhh I didn't know you were thinking of away rotations and not applying yet (although all of them are pretty good to great programs to apply to). Having said that you really can't go wrong with any of them as an away rotation. I am aware of Hopkins, Maryland, Georgetown, George Washington and Christiana being from the Maryland area. They are all high acuity settings where you are gonna learn alot. I actually rotated at both Maryland and Hopkins. Neither are malignant. And they both have faculty that really great at teaching.

I wouldn't stress too much about which one to do an away at. That's the least of your worries (they are all good). In fact, you might be a little behind if you are trying to apply to do the rotation by October for your SLOR. Just pick one and try to shine the best you can.

Hope that

I cant do any away rotations until next september, so everyone was telling me to start applying in December.

On a somewhat tangent topic, do you guys think that doing an away rotation in a separate field at an institution that I want to go would be a good idea?

For example;

I do EM at Hopkins, and UMD, then do say, something in like family at Georgetown, would that make a difference at all? Also would doing an away rotation around january or february of my senior year be of any use after my application has already been submitted?

Thanks again for all the advice and information.