Best Option for dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biologist2025

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm graduating with a biology degree next semester and have applied to some dental schools this cycle. I am trying to figure out a "back up" plan if I am not accepted. I know many people from my university in Canada take an extra year and complete their honours degree, which seems like a good choice right now. I was also considering applying to dental hygiene. I heard of some people taking this route, I would gain some knowledge and have a decent job if I do continue to get rejected. Any thoughts? Or any other possible back up plans would be great. t
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Really depends on your stats. Hygiene vs Dentistry standard of living and educational investment are very different.

It's a good (but saturated) job, though a pretty significant step back from dentistry.

If you are actually competitive stats-wise, you'd be best off shoring up your application based on the feedback here and reapplying.

If you aren't, then something like hygiene might make sense.

We can't say much more unless you discuss GPA, SGPA, DAT, ECs, etc.

Well, I basically have accepted defeat on Canadian schools. But, keeping my options opening and applying to US schools as well as Atlantic Bridge. My GPA is about 3.4. I know some schools in Canada drop your worst year, or take your best two depending on the school. This would really work in my favour as my last 3 semesters have been solid 3.8-4.0. I don't have my DAT scores back, but it defiantly discouraged me a bit as I found it fairly hard. I have shadowed a couple dentists with many hours punched, and I am also travelling to Africa to participate in a pre-dental internship which will give me additional shadowing hours. For the last year I have worked as a laboratory assistant, and a research assistant within my university.
Maybe this will help you provide some feedback!