Technology Best mp3 player for **lectures**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nevinleiby

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious what current med students think the best mp3 player is for listening to mp3 lectures

I know ipod is very popular, but its focus is mainly music...

I'm wondering if the zune/creative/ipod/iphone has some advantages over players.

For instance:
-Bookmarking a spot in a lecture
-Easy/quick f/backward
-Easy scanning to find a specific part of lecture (eg, FF similiar to dvd playback)
-Voice recording (if ipod glitch is still an issue, skipping chunks of lecture)

I'm trying to avoid the whole ipod/iphone fanboy approach, but looking for the one that does the *best* job

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Wouldn't it be best to get a digital recorder for this? It can make bookmarks and export to mp3s on your computer.

I think the popular one of choice is the Olympus brand but I would shop around on Amazon.

One problem with all MP3 players (save a couple, computer-based ones) is the ability to speed-up lectures so you can listen to them faster.

For my class, I prepare MP3's of our lectures by using a piece of software called Audacity (freeware) that will remove silent gaps during the lecture, and also allows you to speed up the lecture by a factor (such as 1.4x speed). this allows us to make a 1 hour lecture into a 30-35 minute lecture that can be played on any standard MP3 player.

Audacity has the ability to apply "chains" such as a preset one called "clean speech" that will process the audio. I'd recommend modifying the default to remove saving High Quality copy, remove "removing noise", and add in an option to increase the sound file rate. You can then batch process folders of WMA/MP3 or WMV/Video files.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a way to convert a mp3 to a audiobook and when you do that it allows you to not only set up chapter markers but also speed it up when playing it back on an iPod.