Best Kaplan Books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmycburkitt

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who read the Kaplan books for Step 2 preparation, which ones are the better "must-reads?" People say Blue Prints for Ob/Gyn and Peds are great books but what about the Kaplan series? What about internal medicine? Any input would be appreciate. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

For those who read the Kaplan books for Step 2 preparation, which ones are the better "must-reads?" People say Blue Prints for Ob/Gyn and Peds are great books but what about the Kaplan series? What about internal medicine? Any input would be appreciate. Thanks!
I enjoyed reading Kaplan notes as chapter book, but I don't think it is very organised and no pictures. FA is clear and good organised, but there are only most common diseases under each subjects. So, I end up with Toronto Notes because I can find almost all facts I encount in UW, and I really like now. It's clear, good organised and covers almost everything. I don't know which kind of book you can get as equivalent one if you are not in Canada. But I am sure you can get it from ebay easily.

I would just get first aid and a source of questions. You've been studying for this test all of third year without knowing it -- the clerkships and shelf exams should have you well prepared.

If the Kaplan books for step two are anything like the ones for step one I don't know how you'd have the time or energy to use them, especially this late in the year when your score is mostly irrelevant. If you must use other books just focus them on the areas you know you are deficient in (did you bomb a particular shelf exam, etc).

As someone with minimal interest in surgery, I found the Kaplan surgery book to be very high yield for the exam.