This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roma14

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, hopefully someone out there has been in a similar situation and has some helpful suggestions. I've recently finished the DAT and scored pretty well, but with a subpar GPA, I still need more extracurriculars in order to become a more competitive applicant. I definitely plan on getting more shadowing hours under my belt and volunteering in a dental setting to get some clinical exposure. But most of all, I'm looking for a job I can do for about about a year leading up to the new dental semester. What job do you guys think looks the best in the eyes of dental schools? I've been considering an entry-level biomedical job, specifically a research analyst gig at a genetic medicine lab (at Vanderbilt Medical). Is this a good option or should I look elsewhere? Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, hopefully someone out there has been in a similar situation and has some helpful suggestions. I've recently finished the DAT and scored pretty well, but with a subpar GPA, I still need more extracurriculars in order to become a more competitive applicant. I definitely plan on getting more shadowing hours under my belt and volunteering in a dental setting to get some clinical exposure. But most of all, I'm looking for a job I can do for about about a year leading up to the new dental semester. What job do you guys think looks the best in the eyes of dental schools? I've been considering an entry-level biomedical job, specifically a research analyst gig at a genetic medicine lab (at Vanderbilt Medical). Is this a good option or should I look elsewhere? Thanks for the help!

I think any job either in the science/medicine field would look great on your application. They're going to want to see that you stayed busy during your year off and doing something worth while. I am in a similar situation as you actually, I'm graduating in May and currently applying for biotech jobs as I will be applying to dental schools in June. But do something that your interested in because it'll come up in interviews and the more into it you are, the better you will be able to talk about it. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Just get a job. I worked at a fast food restaurant before dental school. It taught me more than most jobs.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would try to be a dental assistant to get you more experience prior to dental school. It's basically paid dental shadowing with more opportunities to observe and communicate with staff in the clinic. In addition, you will be able to connect with many dentists in which finding shadowing for each specialty to be much easier.

I would suggest if at all possible getting a job in the dental field. I currently work in a dental lab and it’s been awesome. Very eye opening and I’ve learned a lot of valuable information that school probably won’t teach me. I also believe it helped with getting accepted to school. I just have an average gpa and DAT and was accepted to multiple schools so I want to think it may have helped.
But if that’s not possible, go with the next best thing. Anything healthcare would be good. Just be prepared to explain to schools how that particular job solidified your desire for dentistry.

I worked at McDonald’s - I learned so much Spanish here.

I also worked at Walgreens Pharmacy - I used all the Spanish I learned at McDonald’s here.

Ideally, probably a dental assistant - but it can be quite difficult to get a paid position unless you have prior experience in the field. And I mean experience, not shadowing a dentist for x hours.

It’s even better if you wind up being able to actually do some of the things, like making temp crowns out of acrylic, taking impressions, pouring up models, etc. Was a good bit of conversation for me at one of my interviews.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I work now as a front desk patient coordinator and I’ve learned so much about the administrative side of dentistry (scheduling, insurance, billing, communicating with patients). I would highly recommend this job!!