Best GRE Prep Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OBGYN2010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What books did you guys use to prep for the GRE? I'm debating between Kaplan, Princeton, or Barrons.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, OBGYN,

I didn't use any books, but the PowerPrep software that ETS sends you when you register was invaluable. I also went to the GRE website (www.gre.org). From there, you can view the whole pool of analytic writing topics, and also print out a review of math topics that are covered. Being able to look these over (particularly the writing topics) was really helpful.

One caveat with the PowerPrep software is that the score data is dated. Thus, when I got a 680 on the quantitative section of the practice exam, and it told me that was 74th percentile, I was psyched. I got a better numerical score on the actual GRE, but it was a lower percentile.

Good luck!

My husband- who barely spoke a word of English when he took his GRE- got the Barron's book and somehow managed to get in the 90th percentile in both the verbal and even higher than that in the quantitative. The analytical section, I believe he did quite well too, but not quite as well as the other too. So- I would say the Barron's book is really good.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used books from Princetin Review and the book that ETS publishes. The ETS book was valuable for practice and the Princeton Review book was great with actual tips to help boost your score.

I also used Princeton and did very well.

OBGYN2010 said:
What books did you guys use to prep for the GRE? I'm debating between Kaplan, Princeton, or Barrons.

Thanks in advance.

I'd go w/ Princeton...they do have great tips. And the GRE prep software is wonderful...I also had the kaplan books, but did not like the book or cd, so I didnt use them.