Best field(s) to specialize in if all you want is a career in academic medicine.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leukocyte

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My dream job is to teach medical classes and do research at the local medical school for the rest of my life! I know that I will most likely need to complete a PhD program at a "top school" after I am done with residency (especialy considering my Caribbean background):rolleyes:. So, is there a particular specialty that is more or less considered ideal for a person considereing a career in academic medicine?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i think pathology would be your best bet

What kind of "teaching" do you want to do. Pre-clinical teaching will require a PhD in a specific science, and does not necessarily require an M.D. (unless of course you plan to teach pathology). Likewise, introductory clinical medicine classes can be taught pre-clinically. For the most part (at least from my experience), M.D.'s generally become faculty members of the hospital and work and teach the students/residents that train there. At times, they give lectures in pre-clinical settings, but are rarely given their own course responsibilities. I suppose what I am suggesting is that you may not need a PhD to teach in medical school, unless you want to focus completely on a basic science - for which you already know you need a PhD.

Research is pretty much an absolute requirement to teach in academic medicine - in fact, it dictates your promotion up the academic ranks. Also the more you complete and publish during residency, the better off you will be. In lieu of a PhD, you may consider a fellowship in a specific area of your field, which will give you both research experience and bolster your academic credentials.

Every specialty has an academic pathway.

Remember that most 1rst and 2nd year classes are taught by PhDs not MDs. 3rd and 4th year classes are taught by professors of the various specialties.

However, more generally academic fields would include internal medicine, pathology, radiology, anesthiology (just a few)

beyond all hope said:
Every specialty has an academic pathway.

Remember that most 1rst and 2nd year classes are taught by PhDs not MDs. 3rd and 4th year classes are taught by professors of the various specialties.

However, more generally academic fields would include internal medicine, pathology, radiology, anesthiology (just a few)

radiology? anesthesia? I can't remember having anything taught to me by them. All good putters though, in my experience.

UseUrHeadFred said:
Preventive Medicine, Immunology...

My uncle does almost exclusively research/teaching. He did IM and then an Immunology fellowship.

I agree that you need to follow your interests in looking for a specialty as any of them can be "academic".Your ability to succeed in academic medicine will directly relate to your skill in obtaining research funding and publishing.It would be wise to do your residency at a strong academic institution to make contacts and because prestige of training does carry weight in getting academic appointments,as an IMG this will be more difficult but in certain specialties such as path,anesthesia it may be easier.This is a tough route to take especially to have to give up years of substantial practice income(and borrow even more money!) to pursue a Phd for 4-5 years after residency-(US MD-Phds get much of it paid for before they graduate).Few could go through with this so investigate this path carefully.

Desperado said:
radiology? anesthesia? I can't remember having anything taught to me by them. All good putters though, in my experience.

Did you do a radiology or anesthesia rotation? I've taught many students that come through and so have my attendings. My anesthesia attendings and residents in med school taught me how to intubate, start IVs well, and do art lines.

Desperado said:

As far as 1st and 2nd year are concerned, radiology help teach anatomy and anesthesia help teach cardiopulmonary phys/pathophys.