Best Derm Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrGiraffe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a list like the US news list for Derm residency programs? I know that it's hard enough to get in to medical school and then to do well enough to match derm, but I am just curious.

I am mostly wondering this because I withdrew from UT-Houston but am beginning to regret it.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
How would people tier programs? There are so many with so few faculty familiar with certain programs I have no insight into them vs other fields where groupings seem more obvious.

That old ranking is highly dependent on variables that radically change and probably one of the least useful.

Came across this but the site doesn't explain its ranking methodology in complete detail.

http://medical-schools.findthebest.com/d/b/Dermatology

This is probably the least sensible ranking system it seems with random parameters included. I wonder if any residents have an idea of perceived tiers especially in the more mid to upper tiers. The tops seem a little more obvious with Penn, UCSF, Harvard, ect...

MCAT and middle school GPAs are huge predictors of a successful career. I think these rankings would have been better if high school, middle school, and elementary GPAs are key. Nap time grades are really important because that's a measure of how lazy of sons of b***s we really are, which is what counts in becoming a good dermie anyway.

MCAT and middle school GPAs are huge predictors of a successful career. I think these rankings would have been better if high school, middle school, and elementary GPAs are key. Nap time grades are really important because that's a measure of how lazy of sons of b***s we really are, which is what counts in becoming a good dermie anyway.

Soreeyeassses must have changed his name...;-)

Until someone does a better study, this is the only list that im aware of which determined their rank list based on objective measures. Whether you agree or disagree with their choice of variables is another point entirely!
http://dermatology.cdlib.org/133/original/academy/table6.htm

Obviously, the strength of clinical training is of utmost importance for someone deciding their residency program. It's much harder to grade this objectively, but a great training program should have a strong general, surgical and dermpath group to teach their residents. Secondly, a wide variety of patients is important. Lastly, a good program should have a strong track record of getting their residents placed into good fellowships/jobs. All other things are personal preference IMHO.

Until someone does a better study, this is the only list that im aware of which determined their rank list based on objective measures. Whether you agree or disagree with their choice of variables is another point entirely!
http://dermatology.cdlib.org/133/original/academy/table6.htm

Obviously, the strength of clinical training is of utmost importance for someone deciding their residency program. It's much harder to grade this objectively, but a great training program should have a strong general, surgical and dermpath group to teach their residents. Secondly, a wide variety of patients is important. Lastly, a good program should have a strong track record of getting their residents placed into good fellowships/jobs. All other things are personal preference IMHO.

Unfortunately super out of date given the components weighed and how much things have changed since then.

Agreed. Another list should be compiled by someone on an annual basis.

Be careful about this topic also when choosing your education. Some of the"best" programs treat their residents horribly. One I rotated at in TX that has a CTCL expert and dermpath expert chair and PD, the residents were very unhappy, stayed in clinics till after 8 0'clock on a regular basis doing MA work. After talking to more people about this, it turns out that at this "great" program, their students even rank it last because of the malignancy towards the residents and the way the faculty treats them.
I overheard faculty commonly talking ill of their residents to other residents and MAs in clinic. I was actually shocked.

Be careful about this topic also when choosing your education. Some of the"best" programs treat their residents horribly. One I rotated at in TX that has a CTCL expert and dermpath expert chair and PD, the residents were very unhappy, stayed in clinics till after 8 0'clock on a regular basis doing MA work. After talking to more people about this, it turns out that at this "great" program, their students even rank it last because of the malignancy towards the residents and the way the faculty treats them.
I overheard faculty commonly talking ill of their residents to other residents and MAs in clinic. I was actually shocked.

I will echo this sentiment as well. What I thought was the "best" as a medical student has changed as I've gone through residency. My recommendation now would be to select a program that is consistent with and supportive of your ultimate career goals.