Best Degree in addition to the DPM???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msa786

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what the most useful and successful degree to obtain would be in addition to the DPM? Which one would open more doors and make the DPM more successful?

MBA?
MPH?
MS, MA?
PhD?

Any more suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say MHA is the most common coupled degree while students are in pod school, don't know if its the best though

^^MHA really?? I wonder what its like going for a dual degree while in med school.

Which would be best for teaching purposes?

Members don't see this ad :)
^^MHA really?? I wonder what its like going for a dual degree while in med school.

Which would be best for teaching purposes?

I don't think pod schools besides DMU offer the MHA degree. I may be wrong though. All the schools seem to offer an MBA and some a joint phd.

I was wondering what the most useful and successful degree to obtain would be in addition to the DPM? Which one would open more doors and make the DPM more successful?
MBA?
MPH?
MS, MA?
PhD?

Any more suggestions?

All the big shot Pods i heard abt and those who i have shadowed were plain DPMs (no extra degrees). These additional degrees are no doubt good but not necessary to succeed.

If you are the best in what you do, then no one can stop you from being succesfull.

I have survived the 1st yr of school. my advise will be to focus on pod classes and think abt these side degrees when the right time comes.believe me pod classes are very hard. they themselves are too much to handle. You can take this descision depending upon your GPA, etc in your 2nd or 3rd year.
PhD is different because thats mainly if you want to get involved in research. usually PhD programs are 7 yrs long:) .

jewmongous you may be right on that one, i guess i more or less was basing my opinion off of DMU. IMO i think the MBA would be the most useful just to have the business side of running a practice. Remember, a private practice without a good business aspect is a JOKE! Just like cool said, pod classes are hard to begin with (im only in biochem/anatomy), and im not sure i could do another program on top of it. I know people enrolled in the Masters programs here on top of their DPM, but i cant imagine.....

All the big shot Pods i heard abt and those who i have shadowed were plain DPMs (no extra degrees). These additional degrees are no doubt good but not necessary to succeed...
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Take care of your pod gpa, read F&A literature, excel in your science classes (esp anat/phys/path), and just learn to be an excellent pod clinician first and foremost. Unless that's "too easy" for you, I see no reason to split your focus.

The degrees mentioned would probably be helpful if you see yourself using them, but pod school in itself is hard. To be an excellent pod student is very very hard. I would definitely advise against doing a dual just for the sake of doing it (letters on business card, ego, etc). A 3.0gpa pod student with a dual degree will probably be at a big disadvantage to a 3.5 DPM-only student.

If you decide tht you are going to do a dual while in pod school, you just have to consider your goals. An MBA is kinda nice, and it also sorta says "I know business and finance... don't F with me" when you go to negotiate a contract, buy-in/out, etc. The MHA would be good if you plan to be a hospital or clinical admin someday. MPH obviously has its focus also.

In line with this topic, a MSc in clinical investigation might be interesting also for those who want to be the real thinkers of our profession and read/publish a lot. You could even do a PhD if you are really that ambitious and dedicated to being a professional student. I believe there are a handful of academic residencies that offer the opportunity to achieve that research MSc degree (or similar), but this is obviously after the completion of the DPM program.

a MSc in clinical investigation.

MSc? this is a british/indian degree style:) . i didnt knew they give MSc degrees in states too, coz here we have the BS, MS designations. I remember in UK, India, Aussie they have BSc, MSc, MPhil,etc.

I guess I would say my PharmD! For one, it obviously gave me a leg up on Pharm and Biochem. Two, I was already considered a "doctor" (having a doctorate in pharmacy) while in pod school. And three, a huge advantage on getting "noticed" (credentials!) for residencies over the rest of the applicants. The PharmD will also open doors for jobs, especially with multispecialty groups (which I want) post-residency. Drugs, got to know them and use them, doctors!!!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Take care of your pod gpa, read F&A literature, excel in your science classes (esp anat/phys/path), and just learn to be an excellent pod clinician first and foremost. Unless that's "too easy" for you, I see no reason to split your focus.

The degrees mentioned would probably be helpful if you see yourself using them, but pod school in itself is hard. To be an excellent pod student is very very hard. I would definitely advise against doing a dual just for the sake of doing it (letters on business card, ego, etc). A 3.0gpa pod student with a dual degree will probably be at a big disadvantage to a 3.5 DPM-only student.

If you decide tht you are going to do a dual while in pod school, you just have to consider your goals. An MBA is kinda nice, and it also sorta says "I know business and finance... don't F with me" when you go to negotiate a contract, buy-in/out, etc. The MHA would be good if you plan to be a hospital or clinical admin someday. MPH obviously has its focus also.

In line with this topic, a MSc in clinical investigation might be interesting also for those who want to be the real thinkers of our profession and read/publish a lot. You could even do a PhD if you are really that ambitious and dedicated to being a professional student. I believe there are a handful of academic residencies that offer the opportunity to achieve that research MSc degree (or similar), but this is obviously after the completion of the DPM program.

You sure about that statement??

...Take care of your pod gpa, read F&A literature, excel in your science classes (esp anat/phys/path), and just learn to be an excellent pod clinician first and foremost. Unless that's "too easy" for you, I see no reason to split your focus.

The degrees mentioned would probably be helpful if you see yourself using them, but pod school in itself is hard. To be an excellent pod student is very very hard. I would definitely advise against doing a dual just for the sake of doing it (letters on business card, ego, etc). A 3.0gpa pod student with a dual degree will probably be at a big disadvantage to a 3.5 DPM-only student...
You sure about that statement??
A student from the same school, yes. Different schools? You generally use rank instead of gpa, and the students are harder to compare since they did not have the same profs/courses.

Clerkships pimp quesions and residency interviews are based on clinical and surgical podiatry, not business, public health, how to run a hospital, etc. I will maintain that if one undertakes a dual, it should be for personal enrichment and interest, not "to look better for residencies."

IMHO, doing a good residency training will open more doors within podiatry than additional degrees. The rare exceptions may be advanced research designations (MS, PhD) or hospital admin spots (MHA). If you ask me, those positions are fairly far removed from the typical practice of clinical and surgical podiatry, though. Again, you have to figure out what your goals are.

A student from the same school, yes. Different schools? You generally use rank instead of gpa, and the students are harder to compare since they did not have the same profs/courses.

Clerkships pimp quesions and residency interviews are based on clinical and surgical podiatry, not business, public health, how to run a hospital, etc. I will maintain that if one undertakes a dual, it should be for personal enrichment and interest, not "to look better for residencies."

IMHO, doing a good residency training will open more doors within podiatry than additional degrees. The rare exceptions may be advanced research designations (MS, PhD) or hospital admin spots (MHA). If you ask me, those positions are fairly far removed from the typical practice of clinical and surgical podiatry, though. Again, you have to figure out what your goals are.

True you got a good point there. Its just that the field of podiatry scares me at times. Base salary for podiatrists is pretty low and we have to work twice as hard to be making what an MD makes. Believe it or not, money does a play role in many people's decision when they enter medicine. So this is a genuine concern for me.
I feel like I need to be a better rounded individual if I want to succeed within this field. Its still a new and growing field and I want to be the best I can be. I would eventually like to teach and perhaps work in a partnershp or hospital so MHA sounds good to me. Yes it is personal interest and to increase my knowledge which is the initial reason why I asked this question about the dual degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
True you got a good point there. Its just that the field of podiatry scares me at times. Base salary for podiatrists is pretty low and we have to work twice as hard to be making what an MD makes. Believe it or not, money does a play role in many people's decision when they enter medicine. So this is a genuine concern for me.
I feel like I need to be a better rounded individual if I want to succeed within this field. Its still a new and growing field and I want to be the best I can be. I would eventually like to teach and perhaps work in a partnershp or hospital so MHA sounds good to me. Yes it is personal interest and to increase my knowledge which is the initial reason why I asked this question about the dual degree.

What type of MD salaries have you been looking at lately? Podiatrists are making a decent salary. Just because you have a MD or DO after your name doesn't mean your salary is doubled. We are paid according to what our contracts with the insurance companies allow. These payments all are a percentage of what Medicare allows and Medicare classifies us as physicians along with MDs and DOs.

You cannot compare our salaries to an orthopods because they do more joint work for which they will get paid more. But for the amount of surgery and office work that we do, we get paid pretty well.

As far as getting another degree, that is an option for you to decide. Does it make you get a better job in the long run? Well it depends on what type of job you are looking to get into after podiatry school and residency. 9 times out of 10 your DPM degree will get you that job as a podiatrist. You have to have EXPERIENCE in order to be a hospital executive. Usually people get a MHA or MBA degree while they are practicing. Does that mean you shouldn't get one? No, once again, it's personal choice and if your school allows it and you're not going to go even deeper in debt for the additional classes, then I say go for it. As has been alluded to in the above posts, a dual degree may open some doors, but your DPM degree and your training will open the most doors and get you that coveted salary that you desire.

For crying out loud, since no one else went for the obvious joke I will:

The most useful and successful degree to get in addition to your DPM is...[wait for it]...

an M.D.!

The rest are fluff.

For crying out loud, since no one else went for the obvious joke I will:

The most useful and successful degree to get in addition to your DPM is...[wait for it]...

an M.D.!

The rest are fluff.
Haha...

I actually met a guy who had both DPM and MD. He didn't get a surg program since he was a grad 30+yrs ago back when only a third or so of pod grads got a surg program. He practiced pod for a few years but decided to go a foreign med school (I guess it was fairly common back in the day for foreign MD schools to accept pod basic sciences credits?), he passed his boards and got his precious MD, and he did a peds residency. He will tell you that the funniest part was this: he only practiced pediatrics for less than 5yrs before he went back to practicing podiatry - mostly wound cares.

Dale Austin was both an DPM and an MD, though, and I think he's contributed a tiny bit to the history of pod and F&A ortho. I wonder if orthopods would be more willing to call his procedure an Austin instead of "chevron" if he hadn't had that lowly DPM degree? Hmm :laugh:

Last edited:

MBA?
MPH?
MS, MA?
PhD?

Any more suggestions?

What do you want to do with your DPM degree?

Run a successful private practice? Get a DPM then a J.O.B.

Do research? Get a DPM PhD

If you have other specific intentions like saving a third world country's feet? then get a DPM MPH

I do not mean this to come off sarcasticly or rude although I am sure it does.

What if one wants to teach later on in pod school or at the professor level?What degree would help in that situation and how exactly does a young doctor attain a teaching position in med/grad school?

What if one wants to teach later on in pod school or at the professor level? What degree would help in that situation and how exactly does a young doctor attain a teaching position in med/grad school?
Just do a good, academic PMS36 residency... preferrably one with a lot of history and name value. You will notice that is what most recently hired pod faculty did. Publications in texts or journals also help quite a bit when you go to apply for academic positions.

If 10 DPMs applied for a prof of surgery or LEA job opening, the ones who did residency at Smalltown VA would probably be put on the bottom while any alums of Inova, PI, Swedish, etc woud likely jump to top consideration. Example: my school's clinical dean is a Kern alum (top 5 program in his grad days) and the primary surgery prof is PI (top 5 then and now). While there are many programs that can give you great skills, I doubt that they would've got those jobs if they had done a no-namer residency training.

What do you want to do with your DPM degree?

Run a successful private practice? Get a DPM then a J.O.B.

Do research? Get a DPM PhD

If you have other specific intentions like saving a third world country's feet? then get a DPM MPH

I do not mean this to come off sarcasticly or rude although I am sure it does.

That is very witty, and very true

I would vote for an MPH if it is available. Otherwise an MBA or anything that would help you to run your practice better. Of course I would only do this if it wouldn't have a negative effect on my DPM gpa.

I would vote for an MPH if it is available. Otherwise an MBA or anything that would help you to run your practice better. Of course I would only do this if it wouldn't have a negative effect on my DPM gpa.

The guy in the site you provided did his residency at NY community hospital??!!! That residency does not have a good name behind it. Then how did he get so successful?

The guy in the site you provided did his residency at NY community hospital??!!! That residency does not have a good name behind it. Then how did he get so successful?
There are quite a few adequate residency training programs out there these days if a grad applies him/herself...
Many that you haven't heard of, some that I probably haven't heard of or don't know much about.

As long as you go to a program that gets you your numbers for at least forefoot surgery ABPS cert (2yr), you can do pretty well... even better on average income if you do one that gets RF cert (3yr)... still better avg $ with a fellowship. Also, a nice website does not necessarily = a nice practice/income (although pts will think that, so a well kept website is essential to good marketing IMO).

I'd also echo DanWRX's comments... I'd assume that NYFoot's sig is probably his practice.

I think my GED has really accelerated my practice.

Dr. Nick Riviera, DPM, GED

There are quite a few adequate residency training programs out there these days if a grad applies him/herself...
Many that you haven't heard of, some that I probably haven't heard of or don't know much about.

As long as you go to a program that gets you your numbers for at least forefoot surgery ABPS cert (2yr), you can do pretty well... even better on average income if you do one that gets RF cert (3yr)... still better avg $ with a fellowship. Also, a nice website does not necessarily = a nice practice/income (although pts will think that, so a well kept website is essential to good marketing IMO).

I'd also echo DanWRX's comments... I'd assume that NYFoot's sig is probably his practice.

Hey Felii could you please elaborate on that? How many fellowships are there for podiatrists? I never heard that getting one or that even having a RF certification increases your salary. I could be wrong or out of the loop here but a further explanation would be nice :)

I guess I would say my PharmD! For one, it obviously gave me a leg up on Pharm and Biochem. Two, I was already considered a "doctor" (having a doctorate in pharmacy) while in pod school. And three, a huge advantage on getting "noticed" (credentials!) for residencies over the rest of the applicants. The PharmD will also open doors for jobs, especially with multispecialty groups (which I want) post-residency. Drugs, got to know them and use them, doctors!!!

I got mad numchuck skilz

since we are discussing degrees and skillz

There are four main things I would suggest getting in addition the DPM

1) Get a degree in taking off and landing on aircraft carriers...my pants are getting tight

2) Get a PhD in astrophysics so you can use tensor calculus and continuum mechanics to describe active galactic nuclei...my pants are getting tighter

3) Get a degree in selma hayek studies...i dont have to type anything here

4) Get the d a m n DPM, get your residency and do some reading on business and venture capital.

Hey Felii could you please elaborate on that? How many fellowships are there for podiatrists? I never heard that getting one or that even having a RF certification increases your salary. I could be wrong or out of the loop here but a further explanation would be nice :)

I'm also curious about this. I thought that the main purpose of completing a fellowship was to develop expertise in a particular area of podiatry, although no difference in salaries of job offers is usually observed?

since we are discussing degrees and skillz

There are four main things I would suggest getting in addition the DPM

1) Get a degree in taking off and landing on aircraft carriers...my pants are getting tight

2) Get a PhD in astrophysics so you can use tensor calculus and continuum mechanics to describe active galactic nuclei...my pants are getting tighter

3) Get a degree in selma hayek studies...i dont have to type anything here

4) Get the d a m n DPM, get your residency and do some reading on business and venture capital.

I'm sorry are you trying to be funny?

I do not try to be funny...I am half jewish, and therefore, half funny. I do not try...I just am. Thank you seinfeld.

My point is to do whatever makes your pants tight and use that to the max in school while making contacts and when you apply for residencies.

1) Yes I have taken off and landed on aircraft carriers. Raise your hand if you have done that. I thought so...nice conversation piece with the residency director.

2) Yes I do want to get a PhD in Physics one day. My BS is Physics and MS is Mathematics...I love math, I love tensor calculus and I would like to see a Grand Unified Theory proposed. Yes I think that tensor calculus and continuum mechanics add to the glitz of string theory and how everything seems to fall into place.

3) Selma makes my pants tight...plain and simple

4) You cannot have a degree in addition to the DPM if you do not have a DPM.

Again...I wasnt trying to be funny...I just am.

^ Round of applause for the "comedian" in the house.:rolleyes:

Thank you...thank you...I will be here all week...I accept travelers checks and cash...:smuggrin::smuggrin:

Best one would be an MD/DO degree, lol... But seriously no other degree other than those two will allow you to have the opportunity for more money and more opportunities. Come on what the heck can a MS, MBA, or MHA do, surely wont help with income AT ALL. PhD may help with research or getting a teaching position, but less income as well. Just stick with your DPM, or go to med school.

Best one would be an MD/DO degree, lol... But seriously no other degree other than those two will allow you to have the opportunity for more money and more opportunities. Come on what the heck can a MS, MBA, or MHA do, surely wont help with income AT ALL. PhD may help with research or getting a teaching position, but less income as well. Just stick with your DPM, or go to med school.

keep on trollin

Its the truth, not trolling,tell me if there is a better answer that is truthful to his question buddy!

I would say that there is really no point in getting a DPM with an MD or DO since the end result is pretty much the same (not to mention the financial burden would be obscene and the time burden would be ludicrious) . If you want to be a foot and ankle surgeon, go the DPM route. If you'd rather specialize in something else, obviously go the MD route. Either way, in the end, you're going to end up as a specialist in the medical field doing something. The only difference will be what part of the body the ER will be calling you about at 3:30 in the morning:laugh:

Doctor of Podiatric Dentristry. :idea:

Since the medical field seems unwilling to integrate us, maybe the profession should seriously combine with a dental degree or even an optomentry degree to increase earning potential. Both dentists and optometrists are looked down at by MDs and DOs too so we could combine the degrees to increase our representation as well as our reputation. The APMA could even increase membership which probably would make them happier.

Anyway.

Other degrees are seemingly pretty useless in this field in my opinion, especially if it is yet another not so rigorous fluff degree that is just a waste of academic letters. These seem pretty common in the professional world today.

Podentristy would be quite nice income wise and the ability to survive and pay off all that debt better than just podiatry alone. There is no reason our professions couldn't merge and form the Disrespected Doctors and Surgeons professional organization. :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Since the medical field seems unwilling to integrate us, maybe the profession should seriously combine with a dental degree or even an optomentry degree to increase earning potential. Both dentists and optometrists are looked down at by MDs and DOs too so we could combine the degrees to increase our representation as well as our reputation. The APMA could even increase membership which probably would make them happier.

Anyway.

Other degrees are seemingly pretty useless in this field in my opinion, especially if it is yet another not so rigorous fluff degree that is just a waste of academic letters. These seem pretty common in the professional world today.

Podentristy would be quite nice income wise and the ability to survive and pay off all that debt better than just podiatry alone. There is no reason our professions couldn't merge and form the Disrespected Doctors and Surgeons professional organization. :laugh:

Thats pretty funny... I agree that most dual degrees are a waste... I personally am also getting a PhD in pathology, but it is because I have interest in teaching and in research. (Most classmates think i'm crazy for going through all the effort, when podiatry is already lucrative, which is understandable.) I am doing it for no other reason than my own personal interest, not money.
On a side note, I think that most MD's respect pods, dentists, and optometrists, at least all the docs i have talked to speak highly of those fields and realize how important they are... it seems that really the only docs that badmouth us are those involved with the AMA who see other health professions as an economic threat to MD surgeons. And who cares what those few think anyway?? Let them call us pods and dentists and optometrists what they want.... we will still see 30 people a day who call us Doctor :)
And by the way, if someone needs anesthesia because YOU are cutting on them, what are you, if not a real doctor??
I'm off my soap box now...

Anyway.

That would bring a whole new meaning to "putting your foot in your mouth" :laugh:

The best is by far the JD. No questions about it, law is the best thing you can bring into your DPM practice!

The best is by far the JD. No questions about it, law is the best thing you can bring into your DPM practice!

I do know of 1 guy who has a DPM/JD. He does some foot and ankle malpractice cases! I think he still has clinic 1x a week too.

There is an interesting thread on this topic on Podiatry Arena by dropatoeor2 that I originally posted in December of 2008 which has been cut pasted and modified about the web-and used to somehow bait and stalk me - its a bit scathing but the overall context and the ultimate good narured spirit of the thread starts at the 12/17/08 post. I wrote it-the post-and it pretty much clarifies how much podiatry has evolved over the years.

Oddly someone using the login caddypod followed that post and others -has been trailing me for years parroting my words cutting and pasting for what appears to be some dubious intent for g-d only knows why - Nonetheless I do admit to having written some items which might be described as unproductive and negative, but; in the overall scheme of things it does serve a duality of purpose: To make light of the seriousness of things and to give pause to consider the landscape of what some like to call the real world.

Well for the money it is good. Typically a DPM/JD can earn upwards of $3000 per every 15 minutes it takes her to do the physical exam!! Cheers to that!

Well for the money it is good. Typically a DPM/JD can earn upwards of $3000 per every 15 minutes it takes her to do the physical exam!! Cheers to that!

Yea, my relative who has the DPM/JD banks. Pretty interesting to work with podiatry litigation/malpractice suits

Can DPMs get licensed to do acupuncture without going through the additional 4 years of school? I know MDs and DOs can, but I've never heard of a podiatrist doing so.

One thing that is good about a DPM/PhD (unless im wrong I didn't technically look it up for podiatry) is that if you complete a PhD your school is usually paid for. i know this is true for MD/PhD's

i would love to get a JD degree in future along with my DPM.