Best date to take the MCAT in 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrHalsey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am finishing up my Biochemistry/Molecular Biology hybrid class and I should walk out with a B. I will be taking an upper level Microbiology class next spring. Once those are complete I will be 1 semester away from graduation. My question is this:

I plan to study practice questions throughout next spring semester and the early summer. Which month should I take the MCAT so that I can apply in 2016 for 2017 matriculation?

I was thinking June 2016 or am I completely out of line with my timeframe?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say maybe a little earlier in the spring so that you have the chance to retake it in June/July if you need to! Personally, I took it in January which gave me a solid 5 weeks of winter break to do nothing but study! Thanks

Reactions: 1 user
I am finishing up my Biochemistry/Molecular Biology hybrid class and I should walk out with a B. I will be taking an upper level Microbiology class next spring. Once those are complete I will be 1 semester away from graduation. My question is this:

I plan to study practice questions throughout next spring semester and the early summer. Which month should I take the MCAT so that I can apply in 2016 for 2017 matriculation?

It's going to be tough studying for your MCAT, AND getting your primary ready to submit in June. Do you need to matriculate in 2017? Maybe you can take the summer off and study for the MCAT instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's going to be tough studying for your MCAT, AND getting your primary ready to submit in June. Do you need to matriculate in 2017? Maybe you can take the summer off and study for the MCAT instead.

Not necessarily but I am stuck in an oppressive household and little options for a solid income so moving out is a bad idea at best and foolish at worst. I am 22 years old so I am feeling the pressure to get started since I have 10 years of school ahead of me and I have not had an opportunity to live life as yet, which means I am going to remain in a fairly bad mental condition until I can move out or at least have an acceptance so it takes the weight of my chest.

If I may ask, what exactly does a primary include? I was under the impression we have primary, secondary and interview portions of the application with the primary including an essay, LOR's and a check with my lifetime savings.

Not necessarily but I am stuck in an oppressive household and little options for a solid income so moving out is a bad idea at best and foolish at worst. I am 22 years old so I am feeling the pressure to get started since I have 10 years of school ahead of me and I have not had an opportunity to live life as yet, which means I am going to remain in a fairly bad mental condition until I can move out or at least have an acceptance so it takes the weight of my chest.

If I may ask, what exactly does a primary include? I was under the impression we have primary, secondary and interview portions of the application with the primary including an essay, LOR's and a check with my lifetime savings.
The primary includes a personal statement, extracurriculars, and a cheque with your lifetime savings. The secondary includes school specific questions which may be essays, LORs, and a cheque with your parents' lifetime savings.

Reactions: 1 users
image.png

How many credits are you taking next semester? Are you going to take an MCAT prep class within the next couple of months?

8, I may take an additional 3 but that is looking unlikely since I have a job with the school. I also volunteer at a local hospital so I have a fairly full schedule. I will have weekends and a few evenings free however.

And no MCAT prep class as I have no savings and have no way to accumulate 3 grand in a few months. I will not be getting help from my parents either.

View attachment 198427

How many credits are you taking next semester? Are you going to take an MCAT prep class within the next couple of months?

GPA & SPGA and what did you score on ACT?

GPA & SPGA and what did you score on ACT?

Didnt take the ACT, SAT was years ago but it was very high. GPA is around 3.6. This semester I have 2 A's and a B. sGPA is a little lower though as I have 2 Cs in gen bio but I made up for it with 2 Microbiology As.

I want to get the MCAT out of the way ASAP while biochem is fresh in my head since the new exam is mostly biochem.

Last edited:
Good that you had a high SAT (seems to be a decent indicator for MCAT success) but I would at least somehow figure out a way to take an online course for the verbal reasoning section as this section tricks people up especially students with their noses stuck in science books and little time to read anything else.

but best date in my estimation is the earliest you can take in the cycle because you get reviewed first in a rolling admission process.

Good that you had a high SAT (seems to be a decent indicator for MCAT success) but I would at least somehow figure out a way to take an online course for the verbal reasoning section as this section tricks people up especially students with their noses stuck in science books and little time to read anything else.

Thats not not me at all. Im an avid political reader and I sometimes struggle with science courses. Im not a bookworm. I did well with the KhanAcademy passages.

but best date in my estimation is the earliest you can take in the cycle because you get reviewed first in a rolling admission process.

So..Early June? Or perhaps earlier?

Members don't see this ad :)
whatever it takes to get complete with the schools you're most interested in by Aug 1st, getting through the 1st step of having gpa, MCAT score, EC's, research, shadowing, lor is the starting place and then you need to target the schools you match. Below are the test date/score released date you probably need for Aug 1 completion with 12-18 schools. good luck, the reading passion you have will serve you well
April 1 May 3
April 23 May 24
May 6 June 7
May 14 June 14
May 20 June 21

I can cram a little more if necessary but I don't have research. I can fit it in next summer possibly.

whatever it takes to get complete with the schools you're most interested in by Aug 1st, getting through the 1st step of having gpa, MCAT score, EC's, research, shadowing, lor is the starting place and then you need to target the schools you match. Below are the test date/score released date you probably need for Aug 1 completion with 12-18 schools. good luck, the reading passion you have will serve you well
April 1 May 3
April 23 May 24
May 6 June 7
May 14 June 14
May 20 June 21

Last edited:
I took my test in May. It allowed me to study all spring semester and then I had a couple o weeks that I could dedicate to taking practice tests every day for the last week or so. That gave me a month to get my application ready to submit early. I had some delays with a transcript, but I still was considered early.

May? It would have to be late May because early may is finals.

I took my test in May. It allowed me to study all spring semester and then I had a couple o weeks that I could dedicate to taking practice tests every day for the last week or so. That gave me a month to get my application ready to submit early. I had some delays with a transcript, but I still was considered early.

I would vote for late May too. Finals should not be too stressful with only 8 credits. You will have to figure out how to fit studying in with your work schedule.

June is a little bit late for a MCAT date. May sounds like it would work well, though. You want to be complete Day 1: anything else is putting you at a disadvantage.

Since you won't know where you're competitive until you get the score, apply to one school to get your primary verified in early June, and then apply to the rest after you get your score and make a school list.

The primary includes a personal statement, extracurriculars, and a cheque with your lifetime savings. The secondary includes school specific questions which may be essays, LORs, and a cheque with your parents' lifetime savings.

lol. Yes, the applications can be costly when applying to a large number of schools. That might be mitigated somewhat if you can safety cut down your app list. I only applied to 6 SOMs....I'm not suggesting that for everyone, but the cost of my app cycle was a fraction of what others spend.

Do you know how much you'll be able to spend on your app cycle? Keep in mind that if travel is req'd for interviews, you'll need to budget for that as well.

when are your final exams? I would say, no later than April or May for the MCAT

Remember, it will take a month to get scores back. If you take the MCAT in May, then your app list may not be right according to scores.

I tested towards the end of April, and got my scores back 4 weeks later. That gave time to fine-tune my list. Since money seems to be a concern, you may not be able to just wing-it by applying to 25+ schools, not knowing what your scores are, if you were to get results back after primary is submitted.

Last edited:
lol. Yes, the applications can be costly when applying to a large number of schools. That might be mitigated somewhat if you can safety cut down your app list. I only applied to 6 SOMs....I'm not suggesting that for everyone, but the cost of my app cycle was a fraction of what others spend.

Do you know how much you'll be able to spend on your app cycle? Keep in mind that if travel is req'd for interviews, you'll need to budget for that as well.

when are your final exams? I would say, no later than April or May for the MCAT

Remember, it will take a month to get scores back. If you take the MCAT in May, then your app list may not be right according to scores.

I tested towards the end of April, and got my scores back 4 weeks later. That gave time to fine-tune my list. Since money seems to be a concern, you may not be able to just wing-it by applying to 25+ schools, not knowing what your scores are, if you were to get results back after primary is submitted.

I will have to beg at the highway off-ramp for money.

But seriously, I should have a minimum wage position throughout next year with my school so I will save most of that money and take very little for leisure, food and gas. I estimate I could have at least 1-2 grand by late summer if I budget heavily.

I will have to beg at the highway off-ramp for money.

But seriously, I should have a minimum wage position throughout next year with my school so I will save most of that money and take very little for leisure, food and gas. I estimate I could have at least 1-2 grand by late summer if I budget heavily.

What is your home state? Have you tried any practice MCATs to get a rough idea of how you'd score?

$1k - 2k isn't much.

The MCAT is going to cost you $300 when you reserve.....and you'll need to do that as soon as you're able since seats book up quickly.

$300 MCAT
~700 Primary for 15 apps
~1500 Secondaries
---------------
$2500
??? Travel costs.

The above are just estimates. Others please correct as needed.

Since it sounds like you won't have much in funds to travel, how many med schools do you live close enough to drive to?

image.png

What is your home state? Have you tried any practice MCATs to get a rough idea of how you'd score?

$1k - 2k isn't much.

The MCAT is going to cost you $300 when you reserve.....and you'll need to do that as soon as you're able since seats book up quickly.

$300 MCAT
~700 Primary for 15 apps
~1500 Secondaries
---------------
$2500
??? Travel costs.

The above are just estimates. Others please correct as needed.

Since it sounds like you won't have much in funds to travel, how many med schools do you live close enough to drive to?

View attachment 198439

I am in Florida, that puts me close enough to drive to UCF, UF and FSU. I was only planning on applying to a few out of state schools, I am still deciding which though.

Travel costs for three Florida IIs (assuming not every school gives you a II and you apply to every Florida school) should be under $1000 if you drive. They could be less if you're thrifty.

So according to the information here I should aim for taking the MCAT in May.

Perhaps this is a little off-topic but if I do research this summer for the first time would that be to late? I want to do everything possible to boost my application because a gap year would be a nightmare and possible even detrimental to my health.

Include USA in Alabama if you're not too far south in FL. It will consider OOS students from neighboring states and since it's in Mobile, you could drive to it.

Apply to all the FL SOMs. How many hours away is Tulane from where you live?

Is there a "better than minimum wage" job you can get? how about restaurant work? Something with tips. I made very good money as a bartender the summer before med school. I had virtually no experience, but it was a new restaurant and they were willing to train.

What is your cGPA and sGPA? Take an online practice MCAT to get an idea of how you'll do. IMHO, since you're from a state with a good number of SOMs, it's better for you to apply early, and snag the IIs. If your stats are good, your chances to at least get into UCF would be good, wouldn't they?

8, I may take an additional 3 but that is looking unlikely since I have a job with the school. I also volunteer at a local hospital so I have a fairly full schedule. I will have weekends and a few evenings free however.

Unless you need more than those 8 credits next semester, to either bring up GPA or to get adequate FA, you're better off working more hours.

How many hours do you volunteer? How many hours have you done so far? At some point, you need to "do the math" and figure out if you're shooting yourself in the foot with the volunteer hours when you need to be earning money to pay for the app process. If you could find some paid work that is "clinical," in addition to a job that pays more than minimum wage, then your financial situation may be less precarious.

Include USA in Alabama if you're not too far south in FL. It will consider OOS students from neighboring states and since it's in Mobile, you could drive to it.

Apply to all the FL SOMs. How many hours away is Tulane from where you live?

Is there a "better than minimum wage" job you can get? how about restaurant work? Something with tips. I made very good money as a bartender the summer before med school. I had virtually no experience, but it was a new restaurant and they were willing to train.

What is your cGPA and sGPA? Take an online practice MCAT to get an idea of how you'll do. IMHO, since you're from a state with a good number of SOMs, it's better for you to apply early, and snag the IIs. If your stats are good, your chances to at least get into UCF would be good, wouldn't they?

I tried for a bartender position but they just won't hire me with no experience. Nobody is even willing to meet me or talk to me, its all bout what you have to put on paper and I don't have much. I would have to know someone and with my sheltered upbringing which continues to this day my connections are embarrassingly small. I will keep trying but it looks like the minimum wage position at the school is my best shot at the moment. Should I get the position I start in the Spring semester which is this January.

I looked for paid clinical work such a a hospital transporter and I almost got the position but got dropped at the last minute. I suspect it was because of my school schedule. I am trying to graduate ASAP and Microbiology will help me on the MCAT.

I am on the space coast of FL in the central region just south of the cape. Mobile is definitely drivable and Tulane is a little far but if I get a II I think the drive would be worth it.
When you say "early" are you saying early summer 16 assuming I take the MCAT in May?

Last edited:
Keep your eye out for any new restaurants that are opening in your area, particularly if there any new shopping centers opening in your area. New businesses are the most likely to give you a chance since they have to hire lots of people quickly. When you're out driving around, pay attention to what will soon be opening. One of my parents noticed a new restaurant was soon to open and had a hiring sign out, my parent texted me, and I went online and applied. The next day I was interviewed and hired the same day.

Of course, continue to look for paid clinical work...hospitals, rehab locations, surgi-centers, convalescent homes, etc.

Yes, I mean submit early summer. JUNE. The earlier you apply, the earlier AMCAS can verify. AMCAS quickly gets backed up.

Does your undergrad do Committee Letters? If so, find out how soon you can sign up for the Interview.

Last edited:
Keep your eye out for any new restaurants that are opening in your area, particularly if there any new shopping centers opening in your area. New businesses are the most likely to give you a chance since they have to hire lots of people quickly. When you're out driving around, pay attention to what will soon be opening. One of my parents noticed a new restaurant was soon to open and had a hiring sign out, my parent texted me, and I went online and applied. The next day I was interviewed and hired the same day.

Of course, continue to look for paid clinical work...hospitals, rehab locations, surgi-centers, convalescent homes, etc.

Yes, I mean submit early summer. JUNE. The earlier you apply, the earlier AMCAS can verify. AMCAS quickly gets backed up.

Does your undergrad do Committee Letters? If so, find out how soon you can sign up for the Interview.

Unfortunately my school is just starting as a state college. I am one of the first students in their new Biomed program. They do not yet have a committee but I may be able to get a LOR from the chairman of the science department.

Unfortunately my school is just starting as a state college. I am one of the first students in their new Biomed program. They do not yet have a committee but I may be able to get a LOR from the chairman of the science department.

Sounds like Florida Polytech. so, it doesn't have a premed or preprofessional advising office?

No that's not it, they do not have a premed program , it is an Applied Biomedical Science BAS.

Sounds like Florida Polytech. so, it doesn't have a premed or preprofessional advising office?

I see what you are saying about going for the higher paying job but there are not that many new opening restaurants in the area outside of burger joints which pay minimum wage. I am really burned out and could use some off time but aiming for an acceptance is probably a better bet.

What about research? My school offers a decent amount of research opportunities and the professors have connections to conferences and they offered to take students that work on good projects. Is it worth trying to cram in a semester of research?

Last edited:
No that's not it, they do not have a premed program , it is an Applied Biomedical Science BAS.

How is that much different from what any other univ has. What do you think a premed program is?

How is that much different from what any other univ has. What do you think a premed program is?

When I said that's not it I meant that is not the school I am attending. Pre-med is just a fancy term for Biology degree. The only possible drawback I may have is medical school might look down on my school since it is not a state university. I plan to argue my point that the 1 on 1 interaction taught me better in my essay though.

They do have some research opportunities but I may not have the time to get involved.

Pre-med is just a fancy term for Biology degree.

Not really. Premed isn't any particular major. It's just a track/path of several prereqs that can be included with any degree.

It sounds like your Applied Biomedical Science is fine.

Does your school EFSU have a premed advising office?

Last edited:
Not really. Premed isn't any particular major. It's just a track/path of several prereqs that can be included with any degree.

It sounds like your Applied Biomedical Science is fine.

Does your school EFSU have a premed advising office?

Not yet, they are still putting the programs together so a dedicated pre-medical committee is a few years down the road. Yes my degree is acceptable it fulfills all major pre-reqs for medical school and then some but I am not a straight A student ~3.6 at the moment and I am aiming to increase it a point or two by graduation. I am in contact with the upper ranking professors who design the curriculum and they have offered to help. Some of them are actually teaching my classes.

Which is why I am not too worried about the school but rather on impressing with the MCAT and, if necessary, getting involved in some last minute research.

Last edited: