Best buy-in method for specialty (OMFS) partnership?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My experience practicing for several years post residency is that no buy in you will ever be offered is fair. Maybe 1 out of every 20 practices will truly offer to make you a equal “partner” but usually it’s a rare set of circumstances.

Most “partnerships” have 1 or more docs who will either keep a larger percentage of the equity, or own the property and charge the rest of the practice obscene rent, not have to take call like everyone else or work as hard as everyone else, and still make the most money. “Partnership” is really just a fine line with them giving you just enough to make it worth staying, but them still coming out on top.

Corporate comes with its own set of problems. Both ethical and otherwise. But financially it’s definitely the better option.

That's the truth right there. Being several years out too, my experience has been very similar to yours with "partnerships." Here I was thinking that I was the only one going through this. This is why at this point I'm looking at other options such as private-equity owned practice vs startup. No one ever mentioned these kinds of things during residency.

I haven't done corporate but from what I hear from friends, the money is good. It also sounds like a minefield of issues waiting to go wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user