Best Books for a Pediatric Intern/Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LonePair

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I thought it may be a good idea to try to start a thread with the latest suggestions for the Best Books for a Pediatric Intern/Resident.

- Perhaps people can comment on the books used from the following list I found as a top 10 in Pediatrics on google. From 10-20, is a list of good texts from amazon.

Thank you!

1) Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics
2) 2006 Red Book
3) Harriet Lane
4) Zitelli Atlas of Physical Diagnosis
5) The 5 Minute Pediatric Consult
6) Pediatric & Adolescent Gynecology
7) Current Pediatric Diagnosis & Treatment
8) Essentials of Musculoskeletal Care
9) Smith's Recognizable Patterns of Human Malformation
10) Color Textbook of Pediatric Dermatology
11) Clinical Pediatric Neurology: A Signs and Symptoms Approach (Fenichel)
12) Neonatology : Management, Procedures, On-Call Problems, Diseases, Drugs (LANGE Clinical Science) by Tricia Gomella
13) Pediatric Secrets: with STUDENT CONSULT Access (4th Edition) by Richard A. Polin
14) Pediatric Cardiology Handbook by Myung K. Park
15) Oski's Pediatrics: Principles and Practice, 3rd Edition by Julia A McMillan
16) Your Baby's First Year (Second Edition) by American Academy Of Pediatrics
17) Manual of Neonatal Care: Joint Program in Neonatology: Harvard Medical School, Beth Israel Hospital, Brigham and Women's Hospital, and Children's Hospital, Boston, MA (Spiral Manual Series) by John P Cloherty
18) The Philadelphia Guide: Inpatient Pediatrics by Gary Frank
19) Pediatric Pulmonology by Howard Panitch
20) Fetal & Neonatal Secrets: With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access by Richard A. Polin MD
21) Clinical Manual of Emergency Pediatrics Value Pack by Ellen F. Crain

Members don't see this ad.

The new Redbook 2009 comes out this summer. I have Gomella's NICU book. Great.

Otherwise, Harriet and UptoDate work for me.

I'd also point out to incoming interns that most departments have a library containing various books. For example while I think Gomella's book is useful to have your own copy, but Zitelli may not be if your program has a readily accessible copy. Find out from the seniors what's there and what isn't and what they have found useful to carry around.

Doesn't the AAP give you your own Red Book? If not, it's available on the AAP website.
You'll also get a subscription to Peds in Review. Seriously just read through it once a month. The articles are useful for practice as well as Boards.

If you are going to pay anything, I think Up to Date is definitely worth it. Send an email out to the incoming class and see if you can get a group rate, then spend some book money on it.