best book to prep for sub-I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surgmd1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before I start a sub-i in PRS this summer I want to have gotten through some sort of book so that I have a good foundation. I have both Grabb and Smith and Plastic Surgery Secrets. Realistically I can only read through one before my sub-I. What do you recommend I work through?

my thoughts:

Grabb and Smith is good to give me a good foundation
Secrets may help me answer questions I am asked during my sub-I, and may bring up more current concepts and questions.

I appreciate any advice. Thanks and CONGRATS to all that matched!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

FWIW I found Essentials of Plastic Surgery by Janis was very beneficial during my Sub-I's, it helped on a lot of the basic questions I got during my rotations, plus it was a great read in between cases when there would be a last minute schedule change and I was in a different case than I prepared for. It doesn't give a great background on each topic but probably more than enough for a 4th year medical student.

If you are intent on reading from a large text, I think you would be better off targeting the most common cases you will see (Breast Reconstruction/Reductions, facial trauma, Hand, basic flaps), rather than trying to get through a whole book, because while reading the Grabb and Smith chapter on facial reanimation is interesting, it probably won't be the most productive use of your time to maximize your pre-rotation reading, since you may not be involved with those cases during your rotation.

For every case I scrubbed in, anatomy was by far the most common questions I was asked, so reviewing hand and facial anatomy before your rotation would make life easier for you when you start your rotations. I would also find out as much as you can about the institution you are rotating at, if they are very heavy in one area of plastic surgery (breast/hand/craniofacial), then target your reading toward that.

With all that said, stuff you read 4 months ago probably won't help you during your day to day interactions with faculty, because you are less likely to remember those key "pimp" questions but I think having a basic understanding of what is going on will make you more useful during the case, which ingratiates you with the residents and makes them more likely to vouch for you when the faculty asks about your performance.

Agree with above. Carried Janis book with me everywhere and read mostly articles and/or Guyuron's for cases.

Members don't see this ad :)
FWIW I found Essentials of Plastic Surgery by Janis was very beneficial during my Sub-I's, it helped on a lot of the basic questions I got during my rotations, plus it was a great read in between cases when there would be a last minute schedule change and I was in a different case than I prepared for. It doesn't give a great background on each topic but probably more than enough for a 4th year medical student.

If you are intent on reading from a large text, I think you would be better off targeting the most common cases you will see (Breast Reconstruction/Reductions, facial trauma, Hand, basic flaps), rather than trying to get through a whole book, because while reading the Grabb and Smith chapter on facial reanimation is interesting, it probably won't be the most productive use of your time to maximize your pre-rotation reading, since you may not be involved with those cases during your rotation.

For every case I scrubbed in, anatomy was by far the most common questions I was asked, so reviewing hand and facial anatomy before your rotation would make life easier for you when you start your rotations. I would also find out as much as you can about the institution you are rotating at, if they are very heavy in one area of plastic surgery (breast/hand/craniofacial), then target your reading toward that.

With all that said, stuff you read 4 months ago probably won't help you during your day to day interactions with faculty, because you are less likely to remember those key "pimp" questions but I think having a basic understanding of what is going on will make you more useful during the case, which ingratiates you with the residents and makes them more likely to vouch for you when the faculty asks about your performance.

Most attendings won't expect you to know major details of how to do an operation. The way that you impress us is knowing the anatomy.

I also used Janis, which is better than the Michigan manual, in my opinion - it's easier to understand for those at the novice level, and even has enough detail to be relevant for residents.

A friend of mine showed me a guide he bought from plasticsmatch.com which I also thought was good for general tips and advice on succeeding in your sub-i.

Lastly, definitely important to read for each case - medical students tend to be asked about anatomy and indications for the procedure, at least in my program. It's also helpful for generating one or two questions you can ask during the procedure to really look like an ACE.