BERKELEY REVIEW scores/discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capn jazz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just like the EK Verbal 101 thread, this is a thread to talk about how you're doing with the TBR passages. I don't know how people are generally going through these, but I'm doing Phase I and II after reading the chapter, and saving Phase III for after I finish all content review.

I'm currently working on Gen Chem.

Chapter 1:
Phase I: 27/41 = 66% = 10
Phase II: 10/20 = 50% = 8 (ouch!)

Chapter 2:
Phase I: 29/37 = 78% = 11
Phase II: 28/33 = 85% = 13

So far I LOVE the book. I hated Gen Chem and I'm enjoying reading this and I really feel like it's helping me grasp the topics. Hopefully future chapters will continue this trend...

Now it's up to you guys! Keep this thread alive!

Members don't see this ad.

Physics:
S1: 71%, 62%
S2: 56%, 59%
S3: 69%, 64%
S4: 84%, 86%

G. Chem:
S1: 59%, 71%
S2: 70%, 69%
S3: 78%, 67%
S4: 72%, 75%

O. Chem:
S1: 87%, 83%
S2: 74%, 83%
S3: 84%, 93%
S4: 68%, 69%

Bio:
S1: 48%, 48%
S2: 67%, 68%
S3: 25%, 92%

I know some people were saying that posting scores is kind of pointless, but it keeps me accountable and it might help future students who look back on this thread :)

Thanks for this post. I just finished reviewing physical sciences using BR and have noticed that the questions on the practice AAMC exams for PS are generally easier (and less math intensive) than the questions at the end of BR physical science chapters. Is this misleading/ is the real MCAT PS section harder? I've heard from recent test takers that the PS sections have been harder than the AAMC practice MCAT exams.

BR is on par with the actual test. I can't compare BR and AAMC practice tests directly simply because I didn't take any except for #3 and I honestly don't remember. If you go look at the M/D/YR MCAT threads and look at the post MCAT reactions it seems like most found the PS section heavy in calculations this year.

Make sure you are proficient with the calculations. Focus on rules of exponents especially simply because they show up in chemistry and physics (and even bio). Another important note: Be sure to remember what type of rounding you do to make the problem easier. Which number you round if you're doing division matters which way you want to adjust your final answer. You should be seeing this during your studying but if not start paying attention.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have anyone use BR for verbal? That seems to be my biggest weakness and is looking for ways to attack the verbal...

I've found that strategies for verbal vary greatly. Most people recommended some hyper learning workbook but I couldn't find it for a price I could afford. I did maybe 1/3 of the verbal passages.

My strategy? I love reading in my free time but I'm especially a fan of short stories. I will sit down and read up to 5 short stories in a row at least a few nights a week. I really feel like this gave me an advantage because I have no problem reading a story with characters and then quickly move on to another completely unrelated story with new characters. I had close to 10 minutes left after verbal and I think this is due to a lot of reading for enjoyment. The other thing that helped me was reading more technical pieces. I enjoy world news, tech news, philosophy and cosmology so I read a lot of articles on these subjects. These helped me not get bogged down with the more complicated verbal pieces.

The actual test was the hardest sample I had taken. It didn't matter though as I was enjoying a break from the science sections so I tried to enjoy myself and be genuinely interested in the passages. I read the questions before the passage so I could have an eye on a few topics to look for which I think helped a lot.

The takeaway? I really didn't focus on studying verbal but instead on keeping my reading speed and understanding at a high level and I got a 10. If you can do this AND try out verbal strategies there is no reason you can get a 12-14 on verbal.

Do you have a breakdown or average of your TBR passage scores?

Sorry but I do not. I was all over the place to be honest and it seemed like a crap shoot so I don't think it would really matter. However I will say that based on my degree and my weaknesses I got unlucky on the actual test day and got a large quantity of questions from basically every area I was weak in and thought I had bombed for sure. I haven't worked on my application for a month and instead I was trying to relearn some programming because I was sure I did horribly and needed to just move on for now. It just goes to show you how you can't let your post test feelings dictate how you really did.

If you're pre-reqs are recent you'll be fine with a standard SDN study schedule. If you're a nontrad like me you absolutely need more time for content review.

I'm slightly annoyed by the differing difficulties of passages in TBR

There were passages that I would finish in 2-3 minutes [seriously] and get all of the questions correct
Then there were passages that would take 10-11 minutes and i'd still get 3-4 wrong

You should keep in mind that your MCAT will also be a range of varying difficulty. Embrace it and design a strategy that takes that into account.

TBR physics passages are brutal. I hardly got 70s, my range was 55-80. But I a 13PS on the MCAT so don't worry too much about it.

Excellent post. It's not about the score you get but how you improve. If you go over passages thoroughly, no matter what you are scoring, then you'll have better results.

3 weeks 'til test date. I've taken several AAMC FLs, but honestly feel they aren't representative of the difficulty of the real thing (I'm a retaker). I am lacking in PS (averaged 9-12 on practice AAMCs prior to my last test, scored an 8 on the real thing), hence I opted to go with TBR. I'm done with content, which was great and actually filled in some gaps, but I was somewhat undisciplined with doing all the practice questions at the end of each section.

My question to you fine folks: would I be better off going through all of those TBR end-of-section questions and taking 3ish AAMCs prior to the test day, or focus on taking the AAMCs and going back to supplement with TBR where I lack?

I know this is likely a biased group, and I'm leaning towards focusing on TBR, as their answer explanations are outstanding, but everyone I talk to regurgitates the same thing - take as many practice tests as possible.

Thoughts?

If you've already done those AAMC exams before, then they aren't going to be as helpful. Any score you get will be inflated because of your memory and you aren't going to expose yourself to new ways of seeing topics and questions. No matter what you choose to do the last few weeks, try to make it material you have not done before.

Has anyone done the last chapter, Light and Optics in Physics? Why is it confusing for me to understand it in Berkeley Review? It was much simpler when I learned it in undergrad for some reason.

Any advice on this?

Has anyone done the last chapter, Light and Optics in Physics? Why is it confusing for me to understand it in Berkeley Review? It was much simpler when I learned it in undergrad for some reason.

Any advice on this?

Just used TPR for this, and it is much better than Berkeley Review for this topic, just to let you guys know. Don't even bother looking at TBR chapter on this topic. I wonder if there are any other chapters that are better in TPR?

I've been consistently scoring 70-79% on all of the physics and gen chem chapters, with the occasional 80+% and roughly 2 chapters in the 60's (optics and stoichiometry killed me, I scored in the 60's on those two). Is this OK for a first pass? I've been getting my ass kicked with these books but the questions are really challenging and I'm looking forward to going through all the ones I missed afterwards.

Is this OK for a first pass?
I'm in the same boat. There was a post by someone else not too long ago that said he/she was scoring, on average, above 60% and below 80% and made a 13 on the actual exam. I wish I could find it; it'd greatly benefit my confidence.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Just thought I would stop by and offer encouragement with the TBR stuff. Last year, I took the 5/30/12 test and got a 9/9/9 (27). For physics, I focused 100% on TBR books for this year's test (taken 5/30/13). I got a 12P/9/12B (33)!

I wanted to share my score breakdowns because before I took my test I was salivating at this kind if info. ENJOY! :)

This isn't a complete list of every test because I went a little bit bananas in the last month, but here is a breakdown of all recorded scores before taking the test (I took all tests, just didn't record them all in excel). Sorry if its a little dense in presentation--I am copying and pasting from Excel. :rolleyes:

The info is listed like this:
Book/Page, #Q-Topic-Percent score (%)%-Timing-MCAT converted score

PHYSICS:
TBR/Section 1, 25Q-Translational Motion-76%-50min-11
TBR/Section 1, 52Q-Translational Motion-75%-70 min-11
TBR/Section 10, 25Q-Light and Optics-72%-40min-11
TBR/Section 10, 52Q-Light and Optics-54%-70 min-8
TBR/Section 2, 25Q-Force, Circles, Gravity-60%-55min-9
TBR/Section 3, 25Q-Work and Energy-76%-70min-11
TBR/Section 4, 25Q-Momentum, Torque-76%-50min-11
TBR/Section 5, 25Q-Periodic Motion, Waves-76%-65min-11
TBR/Section 6, 25Q-Sound and Doppler-72%-40min-11
TBR/Section 7, 25Q-Fluids and Solids-64%-50min-10
TBR/Section 8, 25Q-Electrostatics and Electromagnetism-64%-50min-10
TBR/Section 8, 52Q-Electrostatics anfd Electromagnetism-64%-70 min-10
TBR/Section 9, 25 Q-Electricity and Electric Circuits-60%-60min-9
TBR/Section 9, 52Q-Electricity and Electric Circuits-71%-70 min-11

ORGO
TBR/Section 1, Part 1-Structure, Bonding, Reactivity-81%-70min-12
TBR/Section 1, Part 2-Structure, Bonding, Reactivity-45%-25min-7
TBR/Section 1, Part 3-Structure, Bonding, Reactivity-74%-96min-11
TBR/Section 2, Part 1-Structure Elucidation-51%-50min-8
TBR/Section 2, Part 2-Structure Elucidation-81%-35min-12
TBR/Section 2, Part 3-Structure Elucidation-58%-50min-9
TBR/Section 3, Part 1-Stereochemistry-68%-42min-10
TBR/Section 3, Part 2-Stereochemistry-75%-36min-11
TBR/Section 4, Part 1-Hydrocarbon Reactions-63%-55min-9
TBR/Section 5, Part 1-Carbonyls and Alcohols-64%-48min-10
TBR/Section 6, Part 1-Carbohydrates-74%-54min-11

I didn't study Biology or verbal at all because I considered those my strengths and perhaps a bit inefficient. Anyways, as you can see, I didn't get a 12 on TBR ONCE and still got a 12 on the real thing. Orgo was variable as well....Just know that TBR is an excellent resource for study and practice, but don't freak out too much about your scores. My suggestion would be to just focus on learning from your mistakes and absorbing the LOGIC of each chapter rather than memorizing equations.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL, I HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE :)

Best,
C

Reactions: 1 user
Just writing to echo that Berkeley Review made the difference for me too. With almost zero prep besides skimming through a Kaplan book, I managed a 29 back in 2005. After rigorous study with both EK and TBR, I got back a score of 34 today. Five points! I'm thrilled and TBR made by far the biggest impact. So stop freaking out over how many you miss. I missed tons of TBR questions (usually got about 75% correct) and things worked out fine!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody else struggle with the Fluids + Solids section? That, as well as Sound + Waves, have been my worst sections by far.

So would you guys say if I want to score minimum of 9 PS/ 9 BS, I should score no less than 60% per section?

So would you guys say if I want to score minimum of 9 PS/ 9 BS, I should score no less than 60% per section?

Would not say that for BS... TBR biology is insanely hard.... I was scoring below 60% and I am scoring in the mid 70s for TPRH, which is on par with AAMC or actual MCAT according to many SDN posters...

Would not say that for BS... TBR biology is insanely hard.... I was scoring below 60% and I am scoring in the mid 70s for TPRH, which is on par with AAMC or actual MCAT according to many SDN posters...

Yeah I'm scoring 70%s on TPRH Bio.

They say TPRH Bio is on par with MCAT Bio?

How are you scoring on TBR PS?

Yeah I'm scoring 70%s on TPRH Bio.

They say TPRH Bio is on par with MCAT Bio?

How are you scoring on TBR PS?

Around 70%+ average (little higher than 70% in gen chem and little lower in physics)... Getting 10-11 in AAMC PS so far ... My issue is VR--scoring mostly 6 . I hate VR...

You know, I was scoring about 70-75% on most sections of TBR. When I finally took the real thing I got a 34, which is almost exactly 75%. So take that for what you will.

Anyone read chapter 8 of BR bio (metabolic pathways)? This chapter is beyond ridiculous. I seriously doubt 90% of this stuff is even on the MCAT. I've seen less detail in biochemistry books.

I'm surprised by how draining it is to do these TBR things straight through

I've been doing 100 straight questions, stopping every 1/3 of the way to make sure I've been on the right track

Chem 1: Section 1 80%; Section 2 77% (had a troublesome 0/7 passage)
Chem 2:
Phys 1: Section 1 80%; Section 2: 77%
Phys 2:
Orgo 1: Section 1 60%, , Section 3 70%
Orgo 2:
Bio 1: Section 2: 50% [done a month]
Bio 2:

Last edited:
Just used TPR for this, and it is much better than Berkeley Review for this topic, just to let you guys know. Don't even bother looking at TBR chapter on this topic. I wonder if there are any other chapters that are better in TPR?

Does anyone else think tpr is better for optics chapter? Should I read tpr and then tackle br for practice problems ( optics section only)?

Would not recommend reading that chapter.

If you don't have a relatively strong background in biology and/or are strained for review time, don't read it. That said, I found it really interesting, and any "excess" knowledge gained from the chapter won't hurt; it'll only help. If nothing else, don't skip the chapter altogether. Try the passages. Sans the occasional what-the-**** question, I felt like I did learn quite a bit.

If you don't have a relatively strong background in biology and/or are strained for review time, don't read it. That said, I found it really interesting, and any "excess" knowledge gained from the chapter won't hurt; it'll only help. If nothing else, don't skip the chapter altogether. Try the passages. Sans the occasional what-the-**** question, I felt like I did learn quite a bit.
I sort of skipped it. I skimmed through some of it and supplemented with chad's videos.

I actually find the writing style horribly painful to read as well. I do the passages, but I refuse to read the chapter through.

I just finished 1/3 of the passages from the metabolic pathways chapter (8) and got destroyed. Besides the first two passages, I kept getting 1/7... this is terrifying D: Some of the answer explanations don't even make sense for me.

For example, question 3 on passage I asks what would happen, if an ATPase inhibitor and a compound that bypasses the ATPase by transporting H ions back into the matrix were added to an aerobic culture? The passage clearly states that the when the ATPase inhibitor is added, "ATP cannot be synthesized by oxidative phosphorylation. Under these circumstances, electron transport stops... and there would be insufficient energy to pump protons to the intermembrane space." Yet the answer says that because the ATPase bypasser is added, "no proton gradient is formed, so electron transport can and will continue."

Does transport stop due to the lack of H+ (electrons) being pumped back? Why? I thought electron transport just transports electrons from NADH/FADH2 (who gets their electrons from the glycolysis/kreb's cycle) down to Oxygen... why would the lack or presence of H+ have an effect on whether electron transport working or not? The question wasn't asking about this but this part of the answer explanation puzzled me, and ATPase inhibitors/bypassers are fair game for the MCAT.

I just finished 1/3 of the passages from the metabolic pathways chapter (8) and got destroyed. Besides the first two passages, I kept getting 1/7... this is terrifying D: Some of the answer explanations don't even make sense for me.

For example, question 3 on passage I asks what would happen, if an ATPase inhibitor and a compound that bypasses the ATPase by transporting H ions back into the matrix were added to an aerobic culture? The passage clearly states that the when the ATPase inhibitor is added, "ATP cannot be synthesized by oxidative phosphorylation. Under these circumstances, electron transport stops... and there would be insufficient energy to pump protons to the intermembrane space." Yet the answer says that because the ATPase bypasser is added, "no proton gradient is formed, so electron transport can and will continue."

Does transport stop due to the lack of H+ (electrons) being pumped back? Why? I thought electron transport just transports electrons from NADH/FADH2 (who gets their electrons from the glycolysis/kreb's cycle) down to Oxygen... why would the lack or presence of H+ have an effect on whether electron transport working or not? The question wasn't asking about this but this part of the answer explanation puzzled me, and ATPase inhibitors/bypassers are fair game for the MCAT.
At least I'm not the only one that suffered in that chapter.

I'm curious are the scales for scoring in the TBR book inflated because I feel like they are giving you a really big cushion in terms of what % you can get right/wrong and your scoree

Electron transport itself continues but the synthesis of ATP by the ETC is effectively broken without a proton gradient. That proton gradient creates what is called a proton motive force-- the protons want to move down the proton gradient to form an equilibrium. As the gradient becomes more unequal, the force with which the protons want to move down the gradient to form an equilibrium becomes stronger.

This force is essential to the formation of ATP. ATP Synthase harnesses the potential energy stored in the chemical gradient to bond ADP to an inorganic phosphate.

If the concentration gradient is disrupted, there is no energy for ATP Synthase to harness and the synthesis of ATP by the ETC is effectively broken.

The reason why electron transport itself continues in the situation described is because that gradient doesn't exist. The ETC seeks to form a proton gradient so its job isn't complete until that gradient exists. As long as that artificial proton transport is in place, the gradient will not be established and the ETC will keep trying to do establish that gradient.

I'm curious are the scales for scoring in the TBR book inflated because I feel like they are giving you a really big cushion in terms of what % you can get right/wrong and your scoree
It's not inflated. If you're scoring >10 on BR bio, you're doing impressively well. The best students I've seen still score 8-10 on BR bio even if they get 13 on the MCAT.

Anyone else feeling burnout when doing a lot of TBR passages in a day

Also TBR Orgo is the worst...I'm actually being destroyed and its just section 1

Anyone else feeling burnout when doing a lot of TBR passages in a day

Also TBR Orgo is the worst...I'm actually being destroyed and its just section 1

TBR Orgo is arguably the easiest of all the BR science books... My best TBR average score come from these Orgo books even if I hate Orgo... TBR bio is insane:thumbdown:

TBR Orgo is arguably the easiest of all the BR science books... My best TBR average score come from these Orgo books even if I hate Orgo... TBR bio is insane:thumbdown:

ha nice

It's been brutal to me; although I haven't really read the TBR books I've just been doing passages

but so far Orgo >> Bio >>> Chem = Physics for me at the moment

We'll see how it goes

ha nice

It's been brutal to me; although I haven't really read the TBR books I've just been doing passages

but so far Orgo >> Bio >>> Chem = Physics for me at the moment

We'll see how it goes

Getting 70%+ in these TBR science books is good...That might translate to 11-12 in the actual test... Getting 80%+ is excellent... You will be fine... I stumbled upon your thread, which says that your goal is to get 45... I think that a nice way to approach that test... I wish I did that, but too late since my test is in three weeks and my highest AAMC FL so far is 28...

I agree. The chapters are thick, but the passages are very reasonable. If someone is having trouble with these, it's probably because it's their weakest subject.

I agree. The chapters are thick, but the passages are very reasonable. If someone is having trouble with these, it's probably because it's their weakest subject.

It is my weakest subject that's right, I've only take 1 semester of it

I just find it weird that my performances in the passages are all over the place

I get 7/7s and then follow it up with like a 1/7; there seems to be no consistency even within sections

Generally speaking, there is an overwhelming amount of information in all the TBR bio and orgo books. The value of TBR is twofold: knowing too much makes the real thing much less frightening, and the sheer number of practice passages.

If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times: stop panicking about missing what you consider too many questions, or whatever your little percentile breakdowns are. Just go over what you missed and move on.

Reactions: 1 user
What is this phase thing btw?

Also, for the first chapter in EK biology, SDN lists out 35+ passages to do in TBR. Do you guys do all those or no?

What is this phase thing btw?

Also, for the first chapter in EK biology, SDN lists out 35+ passages to do in TBR. Do you guys do all those or no?

Neurotic premeds who literally marry the SDN method of study like to do things in three 'phases' - they refer to dividing up the passages at the end of each chapter into thirds. So 'phase one' refers to one block of questions that represent a third of the total.

It doesn't actually matter that much - it's only a suggestion. Just try to at least experience every passage at least once.

Neurotic premeds who literally marry the SDN method of study like to do things in three 'phases' - they refer to dividing up the passages at the end of each chapter into thirds. So 'phase one' refers to one block of questions that represent a third of the total.

It doesn't actually matter that much - it's only a suggestion. Just try to at least experience every passage at least once.

So basically lets say a chapter has 15 passages. Phase I is basically the first five passages?

What's the point of that?

These are my Chemistry breakdowns. I don't follow the 1/3 method. I pick a random passage of 6 chapters for a total of 6 random passages into a "set". So far I've done 3-4 passages of each chapter from 6 sets.

TBR

Chem 1: 60% Chem 6: 54%
Chem 2: 75% Chem 7: 62%
Chem 3: 67% Chem 8: 43%
Chem 4: 56% Chem 9: 60%
Chem 5: 66% Chem 10: 46%

For some reason I'm finding Gas, Thermo, Electro the most challenging passages.

I take my test July 26...what do you guys think? My goal is ideally 9-10 on PS.

Last edited:
These are my Chemistry breakdowns. I don't follow the 1/3 method. I pick a random passage of 6 chapters for a total of 6 random passages into a "set". So far I've done 3-4 passages of each chapter from 6 sets.

TBR

Chem 1: 60% Chem 6: 54%
Chem 2: 75% Chem 7: 62%
Chem 3: 67% Chem 8: 43%
Chem 4: 56% Chem 9: 60%
Chem 5: 66% Chem 10: 46%

For some reason I'm finding Gas, Thermo, Electro the most challenging passages.

I take my test July 26...what do you guys think? My goal is ideally 9-10 on PS.

I'm also taking the July 26th exam. Your averages for the chem is around mine and so far that seems to be around my average ever since I started doing BR. I'm hoping it'll go up in the next few weeks...

anyone have a score correlation between berkeley review subject tests and aamc practice tests? are they pretty accurate? example. if you were averaging 11 on physics and gchem, did you average 11 of aamc or higher/lower?

anyone have a score correlation between berkeley review subject tests and aamc practice tests? are they pretty accurate? example. if you were averaging 11 on physics and gchem, did you average 11 of aamc or higher/lower?

For GChem and Physics, they are right on average for me. Bio is a little weird... I am getting 13 on TBR Bio tests, but have yet to break 10 on BS on AAMC FL's. I used Kaplan 2 years ago for bio and did well... I may switch back to them. Overall, for me, PS TBR scores reflect AAMC scores. BS not so much, but n=1.