Berkeley Ext. - Requesting input on profs. Would appreciate some help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uphillBattle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I don't really know anyone in the Berkeley Extension program and I'm considering taking a couple courses over the summer. I was hoping I could get some feedback on the following professors since only Smiley is in ratemyprofs. May be helpful for others as well.

Hematology - Luis P. Fernandez; In class
Human Physiology - Lawrence Basso; In class
Neuroscience - Natalie Zahr; In class
Virology - Aung Chien; In class
Human Cancer - Kedar Hastak; In class
Anatomy - James Smiley; In class + online
Anatomy - Kashif Ahmad; online
Marine Biology - Stephen Shaner; online
Biology of Cancer - David Lieu; online

Appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Just show up to the first classes (before you pay) and observe...you can usually tell within 5s if you're gonna like the prof's teaching style!

If you ever get the chance to take Physics with Ellen Judd, do it! She was awesome!

Just show up to the first classes (before you pay) and observe...you can usually tell within 5s if you're gonna like the prof's teaching style!

If you ever get the chance to take Physics with Ellen Judd, do it! She was awesome!

Yea. I signed up for hematology and anatomy, both in class, just to have spots reserved but it seems like some of the online courses may better fit my schedule because I work concurrently.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea. I signed up for hematology and anatomy, both in class, just to have spots reserved but it seems like some of the online courses may better fit my schedule because I work concurrently.
Do not do online classes.

They only reason to do that is if you are stationed overseas in the military (or as a signif other/spouse) OR if you are in the middle-of-effing-nowhere.

Otherwise, you need to do it in person

Appreciate it.

david lieu - OUTSTANDING! one of the very best online class experiences I had. everything he assigns you to do is worth the time because it prepares you for the exams. he is very reasonable.

marine biology - I don't recommend taking this class. yes it will count at as BCPM but it is not something that medical schools will recognize like they would with anatomy or even cancer biology.

james smiley - I never had him but I remember reading reviews on ratemyprofessors. I would steer away because he seems to give A LOT of work and be very demanding. if you're willing to put in a lot of time an take only a few classes, then I would consider him. he seems very demanding but fair if you are comfortable memorizing anatomy on your own and answering timed tests.

By the way, you can call the office and request for syallabi. Courtney Gomas is extremely nice - I hope she doesn't mind when students pile up asking for syllabi. The syallabi will give you an idea of the grading for the class as well. For example, if you find out that they assign a 15 page paper for 10% grade, you know to run away.

Do not do online classes.

They only reason to do that is if you are stationed overseas in the military (or as a signif other/spouse) OR if you are in the middle-of-effing-nowhere.

Otherwise, you need to do it in person

Thats odd because amcas stated that online courses count and they don't show up as online courses on the transcript.

In addition I work full time and this would give me flexibility. Still think its not worth it?

david lieu - OUTSTANDING! one of the very best online class experiences I had. everything he assigns you to do is worth the time because it prepares you for the exams. he is very reasonable.

marine biology - I don't recommend taking this class. yes it will count at as BCPM but it is not something that medical schools will recognize like they would with anatomy or even cancer biology.

james smiley - I never had him but I remember reading reviews on ratemyprofessors. I would steer away because he seems to give A LOT of work and be very demanding. if you're willing to put in a lot of time an take only a few classes, then I would consider him. he seems very demanding but fair if you are comfortable memorizing anatomy on your own and answering timed tests.

By the way, you can call the office and request for syallabi. Courtney Gomas is extremely nice - I hope she doesn't mind when students pile up asking for syllabi. The syallabi will give you an idea of the grading for the class as well. For example, if you find out that they assign a 15 page paper for 10% grade, you know to run away.

I'm only taking 2 courses because that's all my schedule really allows. I may go for 1 in class, 1 or 2 online type split. I've taken courses with edwards for microbio and bannerjee for infectious diseases in the past. How would you compare any of these profs to them?

Thats odd because amcas stated that online courses count and they don't show up as online courses on the transcript.

In addition I work full time and this would give me flexibility. Still think its not worth it?

I'm only taking 2 courses because that's all my schedule really allows. I may go for 1 in class, 1 or 2 online type split. I've taken courses with edwards for microbio and bannerjee for infectious diseases in the past. How would you compare any of these profs to them?

Heyo, how did you like your profs? I've only had the one course, so I can't give more recs than I already have, but I'm planning on UCBEing the CRAP outta my postbacc, so I'd love to know who's who!

Reactions: 1 user
The only professor on your list that I've taken a class from is Smiley.

His anatomy class is hard and does require a lot of work, but you'll get a functional understanding out of anatomy. I work in a clinical lab and volunteer in an ED so this was pretty valuable. If you do well he'll also write you a great letter. Our program adviser said he was on the verge of tears after reading it.

For example, if you find out that they assign a 15 page paper for 10% grade, you know to run away.
:confused: Why would you do that? I mean, papers aren't my favorite, but it's just one, y'know?

They might not show up as online, but I got asked about several classes on my transcript during my med school interviews. They don't ask about intro to bio... but certainly the upper level, esp if you don't interview with a clinician.

You should do in person

+1 to the why run away from a paper? I don't get that logic

They might not show up as online, but I got asked about several classes on my transcript during my med school interviews. They don't ask about intro to bio... but certainly the upper level, esp if you don't interview with a clinician.

You should do in person

+1 to the why run away from a paper? I don't get that logic

What do you mean by interview with a clinician? All the classes I've taken at berk extension so far have been upper division courses. Except for biology of cancer in case I want to take that.

Heyo, how did you like your profs? I've only had the one course, so I can't give more recs than I already have, but I'm planning on UCBEing the CRAP outta my postbacc, so I'd love to know who's who!

They were pretty intense but very friendly. Depends on how much time you have available.

What do you mean by interview with a clinician? All the classes I've taken at berk extension so far have been upper division courses. Except for biology of cancer in case I want to take that.
Interviewing with an MD/DO.... as opposed to interviewing with a PhD. A large chunk of med school interviews are done by PhDs - and so if you've taken cancer bio, and you happen to be interviewed by a cancer PhD guy then you will get asked about it. Hence why, if your response is "i took it online", you will get a "oh".

Interviewing with an MD/DO.... as opposed to interviewing with a PhD. A large chunk of med school interviews are done by PhDs - and so if you've taken cancer bio, and you happen to be interviewed by a cancer PhD guy then you will get asked about it. Hence why, if your response is "i took it online", you will get a "oh".

...that would be a terrible response no matter what. Analogously, imagine you took the course in the classroom, yet when asked about it your only comment was "I took it on Thursday nights, so, that was unpleasant." You'd get a similar, well-deserved "oh".

Honestly, I would imagine that being asked about it would be your best case scenario...as long as you did well in it and took the time to actually learn it. It would give you an opportunity to expound on it, to show interest in it (xyz part of class made me wonder about abc, so I took this, or want to know that, or whatever) and/or demonstrate that you actually learned something. Unless you can't come up with an answer beyond "I took it online."

Members don't see this ad :)
...that would be a terrible response no matter what. Analogously, imagine you took the course in the classroom, yet when asked about it your only comment was "I took it on Thursday nights, so, that was unpleasant." You'd get a similar, well-deserved "oh".
I concur - but there is always the chance you run into someone that knows the guy who ran your online class. Esp if its in the same city or even the same institution.

However you spin it, you should never take a class online. Whether you hide or spin it, it doesn't matter - online classes just aren't well respected. If you are looking to improve your app, you should do it the right way without taking shortcuts - and online is a short cut.

I concur - but there is always the chance you run into someone that knows the guy who ran your online class. Esp if its in the same city or even the same institution.

However you spin it, you should never take a class online. Whether you hide or spin it, it doesn't matter - online classes just aren't well respected. If you are looking to improve your app, you should do it the right way without taking shortcuts - and online is a short cut.

Hm makes sense what you're saying. Up until now, all the classes I've taken have been in person but I was considering this online course mainly because I work full time and I'd already be taking another upper division biology course in person.

Guess I'll have to re-think this then.

Watkins for gen chem, hands down. Only teaches in Berkeley from what I know but lectures are gold.

Hello Everyone,

I don't really know anyone in the Berkeley Extension program and I'm considering taking a couple courses over the summer. I was hoping I could get some feedback on the following professors since only Smiley is in ratemyprofs. May be helpful for others as well.

Hematology - Luis P. Fernandez; In class
Human Physiology - Lawrence Basso; In class
Neuroscience - Natalie Zahr; In class
Virology - Aung Chien; In class
Human Cancer - Kedar Hastak; In class
Anatomy - Kashif Ahmad; online

Appreciate it.

Hi! I'm going to be taking some classes at Berkeley Extension next semester and was wondering if you have any input about Prof. Smiley for Anatomy and Kedar Hastak for Bio of Cancer?
Thanks

Hi! I'm going to be taking some classes at Berkeley Extension next semester and was wondering if you have any input about Prof. Smiley for Anatomy and Kedar Hastak for Bio of Cancer?
Thanks
Smiley is super upfront and has high expectations. However, he mostly expects you to teach yourselves once he makes the expectations clear, and is very open about that fact. I loved it; some do not.
Learn to love Acland's if you take his class, because he does.
He does have a generous curve, though!

Don't know the other.

Anyone taken genetics and cell bio? Genetics is being taught by Mary Alice Yund. Her ratemyprofessor reviews are mixed. The instructor isn't up for cell bio yet.

How hard are these classes at UCBX? Those are both going to be retakes for me so I NEED A's. Also, how miserable is the commute to SF and Berkeley from the south bay? ugh, not looking forward to that. They really need a south bay campus or to at least have more upper level science classes in Belmont.

What about if I take them online...is there a consensus on this? Will AACOMAS do grade replacement from an in person class with an online class? Do most med schools (MD and DO) accept online classes? I know that UCBX doesn't accept online courses for their post-bacc health professions program but I'm still not sure if I'm going to apply for that or not yet.

I'm also thinking about some psych classes - abnormal, biological, or social psych? Any input on anything will be appreciated. Thanks!

Anyone taken genetics and cell bio? Genetics is being taught by Mary Alice Yund. Her ratemyprofessor reviews are mixed. The instructor isn't up for cell bio yet.

How hard are these classes at UCBX? Those are both going to be retakes for me so I NEED A's. Also, how miserable is the commute to SF and Berkeley from the south bay? ugh, not looking forward to that. They really need a south bay campus or to at least have more upper level science classes in Belmont.

What about if I take them online...is there a consensus on this? Will AACOMAS do grade replacement from an in person class with an online class? Do most med schools (MD and DO) accept online classes? I know that UCBX doesn't accept online courses for their post-bacc health professions program but I'm still not sure if I'm going to apply for that or not yet.

I'm also thinking about some psych classes - abnormal, biological, or social psych? Any input on anything will be appreciated. Thanks!
The commute to Berkeley is brutal. Oakland always has terrible traffic, I swear it doesn't matter what time of day it is.
SF you can at least Caltrain to, which I highly recommend (you can get work done on the way, woo!)

The classes aren't too hard. It's all prof-dependent as usual, of course, but for most courses grading is primarily based on exams, so that caps the difficulty pretty low anyway.

I've never seen the value of looking at RMP or other such sites. For the most part, if I'm going to take the class, I'm going to take it regardless of what the site says. If I really cannot click with the prof, I'll know within 5min of attending the first one (which is why I never officially sign up until after I attend day 1).

The commute to Berkeley is brutal. Oakland always has terrible traffic, I swear it doesn't matter what time of day it is.
SF you can at least Caltrain to, which I highly recommend (you can get work done on the way, woo!)

The classes aren't too hard. It's all prof-dependent as usual, of course, but for most courses grading is primarily based on exams, so that caps the difficulty pretty low anyway.

I've never seen the value of looking at RMP or other such sites. For the most part, if I'm going to take the class, I'm going to take it regardless of what the site says. If I really cannot click with the prof, I'll know within 5min of attending the first one (which is why I never officially sign up until after I attend day 1).

According to their site and google maps, I can take BART to both the SF and Berkeley locations. Is Caltrain better than BART? I've never taken either before so this is all a new adventure for me lol. I've only ever been to Berkeley once and SF about 3 times. I guess my main concern is how safe are the trains at night? Classes get out at 9:30 pm so obviously I'll be on the train kind of late.

Have you ever had an issue with the class getting full and not being able to register since you do it so late? I really wish we could register to save our spots without paying right away like all normal schools do. They could even have payment due a week before class or something. This is frustrating.

According to their site and google maps, I can take BART to both the SF and Berkeley locations. Is Caltrain better than BART? I've never taken either before so this is all a new adventure for me lol. I've only ever been to Berkeley once and SF about 3 times. I guess my main concern is how safe are the trains at night? Classes get out at 9:30 pm so obviously I'll be on the train kind of late.
If you've found public transit from South Bay up to Berkeley (without going all the way up through SF, which is a huge time sink), you're a wizard.
Best I've found is driving to Fremont and then BARTing up, but then, as you noted, you're going through Oakland BART at 9-10pm before taking the train to an empty Fremont and still having to drive home - a bit dodgy, and I'm not really one to worry so much about those sorts of things.

If you're coming from South Bay, Caltrain is pretty much the only way up the peninsula until you get into BART territory, so you may as well stick on that for as long as possible.

I'm starting to wonder if we have different definitions of South Bay...I'm talking Santa Clara, San Jose, etc.

Have you ever had an issue with the class getting full and not being able to register since you do it so late? I really wish we could register to save our spots without paying right away like all normal schools do. They could even have payment due a week before class or something. This is frustrating.
It has never come remotely close to being brought up. Just pay before the second class meeting

If you're coming from South Bay, Caltrain is pretty much the only way up the peninsula until you get into BART territory, so you may as well stick on that for as long as possible.

I'm starting to wonder if we have different definitions of South Bay...I'm talking Santa Clara, San Jose, etc.

No, same definition but I'd be willing to drive (or maybe the bus but that looks terrible) to the Fremont BART station if driving all the way is going to be a huge issue. I can take it to both the SF and Berkeley locations, however I'll look into Caltrain for the SF location.

To be honest, all options sound miserable to me but I don't feel like I have another option at this point. CC's don't have the classes that I need and SJSU's classes don't seem like they're going to be equivalent to mine for grade replacement (plus I hate the anxiety of not being able to preregister and not knowing if you'll get a seat until the first day of class).

:eek:

No, same definition but I'd be willing to drive (or maybe the bus but that looks terrible) to the Fremont BART station if driving all the way is going to be a huge issue. I can take it to both the SF and Berkeley locations, however I'll look into Caltrain for the SF location.

To be honest, all options sound miserable to me but I don't feel like I have another option at this point. CC's don't have the classes that I need and SJSU's classes don't seem like they're going to be equivalent to mine for grade replacement (plus I hate the anxiety of not being able to preregister and not knowing if you'll get a seat until the first day of class).

:eek:
Honestly, I've only had to take 1 course at Berkeley. Otherwise I've been able to find 5+ good upper level Bios and all prereqs at the Belmont location. By far the best commute from SJ.

By the time you drive to Fremont, find BART, take it to Berkeley, and deal with bus schedules, late-night sketch factor, and rush hour traffic up to Fremont, you're probably better off just dealing with traffic up to Oakland the whole way. I honestly just don't recommend the Berkeley location on a weeknight from SJ.

You can definitely preregister with UCBX...I just don't understand why you would. Sometimes anxiety keeps you on your toes, but sometimes it's a hindrance.

Honestly, I've only had to take 1 course at Berkeley. Otherwise I've been able to find 5+ good upper level Bios and all prereqs at the Belmont location. By far the best commute from SJ.

By the time you drive to Fremont, find BART, take it to Berkeley, and deal with bus schedules, late-night sketch factor, and rush hour traffic up to Fremont, you're probably better off just dealing with traffic up to Oakland the whole way. I honestly just don't recommend the Berkeley location on a weeknight from SJ.

You can definitely preregister with UCBX...I just don't understand why you would. Sometimes anxiety keeps you on your toes, but sometimes it's a hindrance.

I think you've gotten lucky! It looks like there are only 3 upper levels taught at Belmont this spring. I've already taken 2 of them and the 3rd one conflicts with my other class that I need to retake for grade replacement.

You're right. I might as well just drive up there but I'm going to test out each way before the semester begins and see how they are. I'll also look into the possibility of taking them online - if AACOMAS would even replace an in person class with an online class.

Thanks for all your advice!