bench or school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gsmm

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is any one of those who got accepted willing to leave the school if the bench exam thing became real again?

Members don't see this ad.

I actually do know a few people who would leave for bench after starting school, but the problem lies in getting the actual appointment. SOmetimes it may take a year to get an appointment and currently, everything is up in the air. I would imagine that the number of people waiting to take the bench may be more than those applying to dental school.
I know that when I took my bench preparation class, no one in there wanted to go to school. So they were all waiting for the bench. I was the only one interested in school. So I really wonder how many more are waiting for bench testing??? :confused:

let me tell you something. I know people might not agree with me, but you are doing the right thing by wanting to go to a school. I am almost finishing up with school, and I have friends who have done bench exam, but if I had to do it all over again, I still would go to school to get a license.
kpat

Members don't see this ad :)
for me i wish i go to school because its a DDS or DMD instead of always considered as a foreign dentist, but the fact is the bench is much easier, almost costs nothing compared to school and very fast way to take a license..but what i am really wondering about is when the schools send acceptance, it give the candidate very limited time to decide and pay an amount of money..are these people going to leave the whole thing and go or they are going to defer their application for next year in case they failed the bench....its very risky i guess

Originally posted by sara25

I know that when I took my bench preparation class, no one in there wanted to go to school. So they were all waiting for the bench. I was the only one interested in school. So I really wonder how many more are waiting for bench testing??? :confused:
sara did you go to school by now..

From my experience (as an engineer :hardy: ) where one graduated matters only at the beginning. I and my wife discussed whether she should go to school or wait for the bench. The high cost and time doesn't really justify going back to school. She will rather spent the money on a specialty in the future instead.

If on the other hand one isn't comfortable working as a dentist in America, then school is the better choice.

- tengu3.

i prepared for the bench exam too....but got siick of waiting....im planning gto apply to schools....even though its expensive and hard to get in...but i'll try anyways.....hopefully i can...cause i think going to school is always better then just giving an exam...lets see

Is it possible to proceede with specialty training without degree form an accredited US dental school as stated by tengu3? Even if it is, it limites you to practice in California, right?