Belmont or Tennessee State University DPT programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littledragon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any opinions or insight on these two Nashville programs?
I'm seriously considering both, but deciding between my early decision option. I feel more confident that I'd be accepted into TSU's program but Belmont is a private school with nicer looking facilities, which I know sounds a bit superficial.
Any insight would be helpful!

Don't know how competitive I am but:
Undergrad cum GPA: 3.69
All A's in my pre-req courses (bio, chem, phys, anatomy and physiology etc)

Members don't see this ad.

As far as tuition goes Belmont will be much more expensive since it is a private school. Not sure about the exact numbers but it is pretty significant. Both have smaller class sizes so that is nice. I have worked at a clinic that had a student from TSU that knew their stuff really well and passed their boards on the first try. In my opinion I don't think the cost of Belmont is worth the difference in the education so I would lean more toward TSU.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you a TN resident? Most people concur that you should always go with the cheaper school (if accredited of course). I looked heavily into TSU's program simply due to the fact that they do not consider the cum GPA as part of their admissions process, but rather, just the prereq GPA. IMO you'd basically be a shoo-in as long as you met all of their other criteria.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any opinions or insight on these two Nashville programs?
I'm seriously considering both, but deciding between my early decision option. I feel more confident that I'd be accepted into TSU's program but Belmont is a private school with nicer looking facilities, which I know sounds a bit superficial.
Any insight would be helpful!

Don't know how competitive I am but:
Undergrad cum GPA: 3.69
All A's in my pre-req courses (bio, chem, phys, anatomy and physiology etc)

Hey! I applied to both schools 2 years back, and I believe it would be smart for you to apply to Belmont. It's a better school compared to TSU.TSU has been known for being on probation for a few years, and doesn't have the best reputation. You meet all the requirement for Belmont so it is a better choice. You don't sound superficial. It's important to have good facilities, because better facilities results in better education. If you don't get into Belmont, just apply to TSU for regular admission! You'll get in for regular admission for sure for TSU. But, I truly believe Belmont is better than TSU. Most of the TSU students have to take boards two times.

Are you a TN resident? Most people concur that you should always go with the cheaper school (if accredited of course). I looked heavily into TSU's program simply due to the fact that they do not consider the cum GPA as part of their admissions process, but rather, just the prereq GPA. IMO you'd basically be a shoo-in as long as you met all of their other criteria.
Yes I am a Tennessee resident and will be attending UTHSC in Memphis. I've never seen the facilities at either of these schools but I'm sure that Belmont has nicer facilities because of more funding from the higher tuition. If you are out of state your odds would be better at Belmont, but both accept several out of state students per year. Tuition at Belmont was around 100,000 while TSU will probably be less than half of that, so that is a big determining factor for a lot of students. Coupling tuition with living in Nashville for 3 years won't be cheap.

Yes I am a Tennessee resident and will be attending UTHSC in Memphis. I've never seen the facilities at either of these schools but I'm sure that Belmont has nicer facilities because of more funding from the higher tuition. If you are out of state your odds would be better at Belmont, but both accept several out of state students per year. Tuition at Belmont was around 100,000 while TSU will probably be less than half of that, so that is a big determining factor for a lot of students. Coupling tuition with living in Nashville for 3 years won't be cheap.

Money should be a factor, but I believe belmont is still a better choice.

I am a TN resident so I know TSU would be the cheaper option, and with my pre-req GPA being a 4.0, I felt pretty confident in being accepted to TSU. With Belmont being more competitive, I knew it would be riskier. I'm just weighing my options and feeling a little unsure. Thanks for your response!

I'm a TN resident... Just unsure on whether or not to chance acceptance at Belmont. TSU is less expensive for sure and a more likely acceptance. Thanks for your response

Hey! I applied to both schools 2 years back, and I believe it would be smart for you to apply to Belmont. It's a better school compared to TSU.TSU has been known for being on probation for a few years, and doesn't have the best reputation. You meet all the requirement for Belmont so it is a better choice. You don't sound superficial. It's important to have good facilities, because better facilities results in better education. If you don't get into Belmont, just apply to TSU for regular admission! You'll get in for regular admission for sure for TSU. But, I truly believe Belmont is better than TSU. Most of the TSU students have to take boards two times.

Hi! I'm actually attending TSU's DPT school, and I can attest to the fact that TSU's program is NOT and NEVER was on probation. Their OT program was on probation about 5 years ago, but they have nothing to do with the PT program. A lot of really well-qualified applicants choose to apply to TSU as opposed to Belmont because TSU charges 1/3 of the tuition of Belmont and offers significant scholarships and assistantships, whereas Belmont does not. Hope that helps future applicants!

I'm also not sure where you got the idea that TSU students have to take the boards twice? We have a 100% first-time pass rate, and have had so for at least the past 5 years.

Hi! I'm actually attending TSU's DPT school, and I can attest to the fact that TSU's program is NOT and NEVER was on probation. Their OT program was on probation about 5 years ago, but they have nothing to do with the PT program. A lot of really well-qualified applicants choose to apply to TSU as opposed to Belmont because TSU charges 1/3 of the tuition of Belmont and offers significant scholarships and assistantships, whereas Belmont does not. Hope that helps future applicants!
How would you rate your experience at TSU ?