"being open minded" question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marinav1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
if at the interview you would be asked "Give a time when you've shown yourself to be open minded" what would you answer?
i can think of a million answers, but none of them seem "right"

Members don't see this ad.

Give us what you might consider an answer, but not quite "right"....

I think part of this is geographically unique...

well, first that came to my mind was "having a brain surgery":) i guess that would't work:))

Members don't see this ad :)
The "open mind" question tends to be one where adcoms try to judge your ability to listen to others when their viewpoints are totally contrary to yours. The most extreme examples are the ones where someone else had an opposite opinion about something you display passion towards.

So, I gave an example where I was open-minded to something that was really against my philosophical beliefs because I felt listening was in the best interest of the group, organization, family, etc.

if at the interview you would be asked "Give a time when you've shown yourself to be open minded" what would you answer?
i can think of a million answers, but none of them seem "right"

Hehe, just brainstorm every instance where you could have gotten into a shouting argument with someone because people are being stubborn or not agreeing with you but didn't because you were willing to take a step back and take a look at their point of view.

Be careful with this question though, you don't want to seem like a pushover. Be considerate and embrace other perspectives, but make it clear that if your perspective is correct that you take steps to demonstrate that ( i.e., diplomatic speak with presentation of factual and unbiased data, inviting others to look at your point of view).