Being "nontraditional"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katemonster

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much of a difference does it make in admissions being a "non-traditional" student? Would it work against me to take one or two years off assuming I did something worthwhile with them? I am a junior right now and I just took the MCAT, did ridiculously well, have a very solid if not spectacular GPA, but feel pretty lacking in my experience with medicine and my conviction that I want to do it, such that I don't think that I deserve to get in with the qualifications I have now.

Also, what exactly does it mean that MCAT scores are valid for three years? Would my 8/2003 score be valid for applying to enter in 2007? Would it be valid only if I had all applications completed by August? How does this work?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about how the scores work, but...

feel pretty lacking in my experience with medicine and my conviction that I want to do it

if this is your situation, I would say for God's sake take a year or two off! Get some clinical experience, take some doctors out to lunch and talk with them, travel the world, go skydiving, whatever will help you get to know yourself, and your goals, better.
What if you started school and then decided it wasn't what you wanted? While there are other careers an MD can pursue, your tuition loans would be heavy burden to pay back.
Plus, a year or two off doesn't really make you "non-traditional." If anything, it will give you something interesting to write in your personal statement and to talk about in interviews.
Take the time. Med school will still be there when you get back, if you decide it's the path for you.

(Also, some schools will let you apply and defer your acceptance for a year. I don't know much about this, but it's something you could look into.)

Oh my,.... definetly if you aren't ready, for your sake do not apply yet. Take some time off, do something you want, get some clinical exposure so you can have a grasp on what doctor's really go through and then reevaluate your desire to go to med school.

Good luck

I used my MCAT from 2001 for this year. And it would have been good for one more application cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are a typical age for being a junior, about 20 - 21 and you wait two years after you graduate to apply to med school then you really won't exactly be thought of as a non traditional applicant.

taking two years off after college does not make you a non-traditional applicant. although you will have a lot of experience and a different perspective than people who go straight from undergrad to med school.

i am applying this year and will have taken three years off, assuming i get in and start in 2004. my experiences post-college have not been strictly gaining clinical experience. i have done a lot. and i feel like the time has only added richness to my life and that my extra real world life experience and maturity only make me a stronger applicant. i had to have an interview with the pre-med committee at my alma mater this summer, so that they could write me a committee letter, and they all said that they were amazed at the difference a few years in the world makes and how much more nuanced my reasons for wanting to go to med school were, etc. i really think time off is a good thing.

p.s.: the average age for entering med school is 24. also, a dear friend of mine started med school this year, after taking one year off after college. she is the youngest one in her class.

good luck!

Originally posted by katemonster

Also, what exactly does it mean that MCAT scores are valid for three years? Would my 8/2003 score be valid for applying to enter in 2007? Would it be valid only if I had all applications completed by August? How does this work?

When an MCAT score "expires," it means that at the time you're applying, the score you'll be using couldn't have been taken more than 3 years ago. I think for a lot of schools it's actually 2 years but I could be mistaken.

So assuming a school wants a score that was taken in the past 2 years, the oldest score they would accept would be April '01 if you're applying right now.

Alexander

Have you spoken with an advisor? It never hurts to get their perspective on things. If you are having doubts, I would definitely do some exploring of other options before spending a ton of money on medical school tuition.

As an undergrad, I changed majors six times and ended up with a degree in mathematics. My first senior year, I took a class that was supposed to help me choose a major and subsequently a career. The results from that endeavor told me I should think about medicine. I ignored them and did my own thing and after a several years and some experiences, I found that class was dead on. So, now I guess i am going to be one of those "non-traditional" students. Funny, I don't feel like one....

Anyway, the point I am trying to make is that if you don't think something is right for you now, see what else is out there. You may end up doing something else entirely, or you may end up back where you started. Either way, you will be more confident about yourself and your decisions.