Being in a relationship with someone outside of the health field

ambereenahmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most people who I've met that study in the health field are usually in a relationship with another person in the health field. However, I'm not. I really care about him, but I'm just not sure how it would play it out in the future. I know it really depends on what one wants in life to determine if the relationship will work, but I was just wondering if there are people out there who are in a relationship with someone outside their career field, and I wanted to know how that is fairing for them.

Input?

Members don't see this ad.

Most people who I've met that study in the health field are usually in a relationship with another person in the health field. However, I'm not. I really care about him, but I'm just not sure how it would play it out in the future. I know it really depends on what one wants in life to determine if the relationship will work, but I was just wondering if there are people out there who are in a relationship with someone outside their career field, and I wanted to know how that is fairing for them.

Input?

You're pre-med, so the issue is that right now you're just a college student like any other college student. When you get into medical school and beyond, basically you diverge in course from everyone else. You spend a lot of time studying or are on overnight or weekend calls. Suddenly, the significant other/spouse has to deal with you being unavailable or having a wildly different schedule. Many people are unable to deal with that reality at that point. If they can deal with that, then as long as you get along, who cares what they do?

You're pre-med, so the issue is that right now you're just a college student like any other college student. When you get into medical school and beyond, basically you diverge in course from everyone else. You spend a lot of time studying or are on overnight or weekend calls. Suddenly, the significant other/spouse has to deal with you being unavailable or having a wildly different schedule. Many people are unable to deal with that reality at that point. If they can deal with that, then as long as you get along, who cares what they do?

This.

I'm applying to residency right now, and my significant other isn't in medicine. I'm generally really glad that he's in a different field than me for other reasons, but I think ruralsurg basically hit it on the head. A spouse in medicine might arguably buy you someone who has a better baseline understanding of what you're going through and the demands on your time, and maybe a little more empathy. But essentially, it comes down to whether or not the individual can deal with your schedule and lifestyle and is committed to making it work, and the answer to that can be yes or no regardless of what field your spouse is in. I'm going into neurosurgery, and so me and my SO have had a lot of talks about what residency will be like and whether or not he'll be able to cope with the hours, and I don't think that the nature of these conversations, or the likelihood of success would change if he was a physician also.

But, just my two cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really glad my husband isn't in medicine or health but I know plenty of people that are dating or married to people in the same profession, or only want to date/marry someone in the profession. I think if they are able to understand the demands on your time and you can commit to doing your best to compromise and know that you are not the more important one in the relationship just because you're going to be a doctor, it can absolutely work.

i am in the same position, ill be starting dental school next fall and i just hope to God that my bf will understand the amount of time we'll have to spend apart

My husband is in med school, and he is glad I am not in the health field. (I am in a business/computer field.) He loves that he can talk about non-medical stuff with me since he has to learn and talk about it ALL the time.

But of course, every person is different.

Old thread, but I'll share my two cents because, literally, I have nothing better to do...except chart..but yea, nothing better to do.

I love that my wife doesn't work in healthcare. When I get home, work stays at work. If I have something to gripe about, she's always on my side because she doesn't know any better.

We have plenty of common interests outside of our careers, and we both fully support each other.

We also have an awesome dog.

Your relationship is just that; every situation is unique, so don't solely rely on others' experience.