Being "Complete" Early vs. Better LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AugustMCAT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right now I have all 3 LORs for ortho, but I am waiting on:

1. Letter from home institution which I believe will be my strongest letter
2. Letter from an away rotation I'm currently on, so it may not be done for a few weeks, but it's the only way I can demonstrate that I'm interested in the opposite coast geographically

I have submitted 2 LORs to most places, but I'm wondering if I should submit a 3rd and become complete or save the 3rd spot for my strong letter or the regional letter, depending on the program.

In other words, what's more important: being "complete" early (app is still submitted) or having stronger letters but being complete later.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same boat. I reminded my letter writers to hurry up...I'm going to wait until Thursday, if they still haven't uploaded the letters, I'll submit anyway. I highly doubt it makes any difference if you submit today or the next few days.

Also interested in opinions on this, especially since most program say Oct 15, or Nov 1 are their deadlines

Submit. Programs that screen for "complete" apps won't see it until you get your 3rd LOR anyway. Programs that don't use that as a screen will see your app, assume more LORs are coming and either invite you now or wait until they arrive. In any case, you're unlikely to get any rejections in the current scenario and may get some interviews despite an "incomplete" app.

Well we already "submitted", the dilema is programs that request only 3. Wait for the stronger letter or add a weaker one.

Well we already "submitted", the dilema is programs that request only 3. Wait for the stronger letter or add a weaker one.
Add the weak one now and the strong on later. Any program that rejects you for submitting 4 LORs is one you don't want to be a part of.