Becoming an EMT as a high school senior

Az1698

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I want to become a EMT as a high school senior. Is this possible? Where would I go to get certified? My local colleges are Hofstra, NYIT, Adelphi, Nassau Community college. I really want to do this, but don't know how. Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

you need to be 18 when you finish the course so if you are 17 1/2 or so you can start it.
I did emt as a high school senior and worked as an er tech all the way through college. best decision I made in high school as it paved the way for paramedic school and later entry into a pa program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I want to become a EMT as a high school senior. Is this possible? Where would I go to get certified? My local colleges are Hofstra, NYIT, Adelphi, Nassau Community college. I really want to do this, but don't know how. Thanks for the help

If you are in the nassau area we have a couple of programs for an emt-B certification. Try looking into the Fire Police Academy over at Nassau University Medical Center or the VEEB-ems academy. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I am enrolled over at the Fire Police Academy right now for a first responder course so I'll try to answer any questions you have.

I got it when I was 17 in NJ. Not sure how far into NY you live, if your close to the border or not. Maybe you can take it there and then apply for NY reciprocity. There(NJ) you only need to be 16 to take the class, but if you get it before 18 it really isnt beneficial because you can't take on patient care until 18. Admissions for medical/other health fields like to see that, but if you just get it a month before you apply to med school its worthless. What they like to see is that you have some SOLID time doing EMS so you can say I want to go into medicine because of my experience here. Or my experiences here made me realize I want to pursue a career in medicine. I hate it when people get it junior year of college because then its so obvious the only reason they went through with it was just to write it on a resume.

So I would def recommend taking it soon, maybe pay your bills in college working nights or weekends on the ambulance or volly. You will be surprised because it will most likely reaffirm your decision to go into medicine or wont if you truly work in the field for a few years. You will see and work with higher health professions to aspire to: ie EMT-P, PA, MD/DO, Respitory Therapy, PT/OT, Pharmacy, etc.....

I think it's a good idea. Try to get on with a private ambulance company or volunteer fire department that will let you run 911 calls instead of the nursing home transports. Ask around with the EMTs in your area - they should know these things pretty readily.

States differ in their regards in becoming an EMT. I am a 17 year old practicing EMT in MD. 16 year olds may also take the class and ride the ambo. Look up your particular state's requirements to be sure.

It varies of course from state to state, but usually you can get your EMT at 16 and you can fly solo at 18. The most common reason for this is insurance. Check out your local community colleges and the state fire academy for more info.