Becoming a dermatologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hs2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well right now I am only in high school but wanted an overview on the steps to becoming a dermatologist. I know I can do it as I am quite smart, only thing I fear is my procrastination or laziness will get in the way. However I am just wondering what are the steps? I know you have to go through 4 year undergrad program, then 4 years med school but after that to become a dermatologist what do you have to do? Like how many years of residency, I have heard it is 5 but I have also heard it is 3? Can someone just explain the whole process thanks?

Members don't see this ad.

Well right now I am only in high school but wanted an overview on the steps to becoming a dermatologist. I know I can do it as I am quite smart, only thing I fear is my procrastination or laziness will get in the way. However I am just wondering what are the steps? I know you have to go through 4 year undergrad program, then 4 years med school but after that to become a dermatologist what do you have to do? Like how many years of residency, I have heard it is 5 but I have also heard it is 3? Can someone just explain the whole process thanks?

After med school, you do 4 years of residency (1 intern year in internal medicine, 3 years in dermatology). But for many people it takes longer. I did a year of research after undergrad, and I may do a fellowship year after residency.

Read here to see what people are going through to get there. The answer is not straight forward, when it comes to exactly what one needs to do to reach this goal. And there are many ways to go about, as smiley has already pointed out with regards to years.

Members don't see this ad :)
along the same lines, now that I'm nearly a dermatologist, I was wondering if anyone knows how I can go back to being a highschooler. I don't mean just acting and thinking like one, which i've already got well managed, but actually being one. Please someone let me know what steps i can take so that the hymen of infinite life paths is restored.

I don't want it to be too late to go back, but i fear that it is...

along the same lines, now that I'm nearly a dermatologist, I was wondering if anyone knows how I can go back to being a highschooler. I don't mean just acting and thinking like one, which i've already got well managed, but actually being one. Please someone let me know what steps i can take so that the hymen of infinite life paths is restored.

It's never too late. You could always try something like this:

http://bas.berkeley.net/academic.html

Hilarious!